Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

Branding one at a time isn't a problem, but I had six to brand today which keeping it hot in between brands is the problem.

I don't have a stove or running water in my workshop. If I need water I have to take a bucket with me.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use EMG on everything,but the last few years I really prefer just using any decent passives...but with the Kahlers I use those plastic pup covers to cover up the pole pieces because something in my mind just thinks it goes together

This one is Duncan Invaders in both positions,but with the pup covers

383314_283438951696766_701152376_n.jpg

What do you use to get the tight corners on the pup routs?Looks like 1/4"" corners and I can never find a pattern bit with less than a 3/8" diameter.My last attempt was a massacre.I was trying to rout for EMG 81/7s and I ate the template because of the lack of a bearing on a 1/4" bit.

What do you use to get the tight corners on the pup routs?Looks like 1/4"" corners and I can never find a pattern bit with less than a 3/8" diameter.My last attempt was a massacre.I was trying to rout for EMG 81/7s and I ate the template because of the lack of a bearing on a 1/4" bit.

I made my own templates to suit the smallest inverted flush trim router bit I could find. It's 9.5mm (3/8" inch) made by carbitool.

The bearing is so small/fragile on it that I use a larger router bit to knock out most of the cavity and then just use this to trim the tighter corners.

The way I do it is by using a guide bushing and I will write a tutorial on this sometime.

Essentially you make a larger template taking into account the offset added by the router bushing. For an EMG-81 (70mm x 38mm) a recess of 72mm x 40mm with a 4mm radius in the corners is required. This means using an 8mm cutter. My most-used bushing is 17mm is diameter which means the offset should be (17-8)/2=4,5mm.

This means that the template needs to be 4,5mm wider around the perimeter - or 9,0mm wider and longer - resulting in 81mm x 49mm.

If you don't like the idea of hogging out an entire recess with an 8mm cutter then use a different bushing size to maintain the same offset so that the same template can be used. A 12mm cutter through a 12+(4,5*2) 21mm bushing would cut the same size recess however using a 22mm bushing to increase the offset reduces the cavity size which can be followed up with the 8mm/17mm combination to knock out the corners and finish up the edge.

The same principle works on an overhead pin router also. A 12mm pin and an 8mm cutter would need a 76mm x 44mm template cutout.

I've seen these attachments for my router, but I went the other way as I simply prefer flush trim bits, its idiot proof to throw a 1:1 template down where its meant to be and just cut it. That and the idea of having to make all new templates put it in the too hard box.

The massive pro of the guides you speak of is cheaper, longer lasting bits that are available in smaller sizes.

The next option is cnc... That's where I want to be at!

Carl, I'm aware of all this. I already had the hard sell from the guy at the tool shop. It's just that when I already have a wall of templates it's pretty hard to convince to change methods.

I do have cnc plans on the horizon so I'm not stressed about it too much

I leave the lock nut surface the same as the surface the fingerboard gets glued to, then during assembly I add shims under the locknut to bring it to height.

I've never heard of it done any other way for a lock nut style build

This is my old headstock shape, but its the same technique for this purpose

298361_359669937448180_1006995891_n.jpg

Actually,all of the major manufacturers do it,including Jackson USA,ESP Japan...you name it they do it.

But the shim method is easiest.I almost always go for the shelf first,and then if I stuff it up I do the shim thing.The shelf is not really superior in any way obviously,it is more of a "can I do it" sort of challenge.Involves a lot of math and jig work.

I don't have experience since I'm just building my first guitar with a locking nut but the way I was thinking to do this was to route the shelf before radiusing the board, trying to stay on the safe side i.e. not going to deep, and then just bring the thickness down with files/sandpaper when setting the guitar up.