Trees Into Blanks

I have no clue how long it will take to dry,but my "storage room" in the back of my container is uninsulated,so I think by the end of this summer in that spot(at about 120 degrees or better) it will be close.I'll put a fan in there to blow the air around as well.

I suspect elm is not used much for lumber because it is considered a pretty tree and it usually grows crooked.I agree that it seems every bit as hard as maple

Have you guys even looked into building a solar kiln?

Actually that sounds like a brilliant idea.This wood is so wet that it might take forever on it's own,and a solar kiln in Texas would work well.I have three large pieces of glass and three huge mirrors I have been looking for a project with which to incorporate...

I think I may have enough materials on hand to build a small one tomorrow.I'll post the results

Upon cursory research,It seems like adjustable vents are the most important part of the kiln...

You need some way to regulate temperature. Most people use fans. A thermostat helps too, and I think people generally use thermostats from hot water heaters, if I remember correctly. If you do it, I'll be anxious to see how it goes. I don't think I have the money to build mine yet.

Also, if you need to ask some questions, here's a good place to go:

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/sawdry.pl?&session_id=

Okay,so I am going to wait on the solar kiln because I really need to do other stuff with a higher priority on my "to do list"

So I am putting the shower into my container house,but I am waiting for the glue to dry on a couple of pieces of it..so back to the tree

My next section all cut and ready to "blank-inate"

537362_509048682469124_1492898532_n.jpg

Interesting that this section seems to be two limbs that grew together into one large piece of trunk...two piths

421124_509048749135784_1410082286_n.jpg

To my way of thinking if I cut the short sides flat and then start ripping the long direction I should get several flatsawn blanks with straight-ish grain...the heart with the two piths I don't know about...it may fall apart while drying or it may not

You may be right,Tim.I did my "wood shuffle" today(I store fresh cut lumber in the big house until the sealer on the ends stops smelling) and the temp outside is 65 and sunny,but in the empty end of the container it was close to 100...and it has a vent to let the moisture out,so it's pretty dry in there too.

My main concern would be wood waste from drying too fast and cracking..When the weather gets hot again I should put more vents in to keep the temp below 120..

I've never ripped a line that straight with a chainsaw.

I am getting better...It's not easy.You have to really keep an eye on your cut.

You really think they will dry to fast with the insanely high humidity there?

It's dry inside that container...really dry.30 feet of the container is insulated and the back 10 feet is not,but it's open to the backs of the wall and ceiling that has the insulation so the moisture in the air seems to suck into the insulation because the back 10 feet gets so hot.

Once it gets about 120 or so I don't think the air can hold that moisture like on the outside.

This one is a bit smaller,but still good

13" by 36" by 2"

282832_509547239085935_668465875_n.jpg

That finishes off that log.I am glad I figured out how to use my chainsaw properly because I would have been lucky to get two really jagged blanks out of that log when I first started,and now I got five pretty good ones

Next up is a really big section

I worked today,so I wasn't able to cut any more blanks.But I did start thinking about what to use certain planks for...

I think this one would be a damn fine mini explorer...the knot is right in the bridge pup cavity and does not go through the plank.The back is entirely sapwood so is all the same color as the lighter parts of the top

734682_510112442362748_913536143_n.jpg

Thanks

Last blank from that log,and that will be all for a few days because I have to go to Dripping Springs and make some money

580681_510404529000206_35076734_n.jpg

This is what my wood stash looks like now.All of the stuff on the rack in the center is stuff I bought,and all of the piles on the floor are what I have cut up in the last couple of weeks

312395_510404559000203_458318783_n.jpg

Chinaberry and pecan on the right,chinaberry,pecan,and elm under the rack,and all elm on the left