#2 Shred Paul

So I am putting together a LP style guitar for a good friend of mine who is going through a messy divorce. The divorce bit started after this project began. The original name for this guitar was the "Shred Paul" and now it will end up being either "The Ex-Wife" or "The Harpy".

Short story long, I was explaining the toxicity of some of the wood to my friend and he says to me: "So what you're telling me is that the maple can affect your lungs, the wenge can cause sepsis if I get a splinter, if you do not ground it correctly I can be electrocuted, and the finishing is hazardous as well. It reminds me of *'STBEW'"

* - Acronym for "Soon To Be Ex Wife". He pronounces it stooboo.

Specs:

Neck: Wenge/maple 3 piece lam

Allparts truss rod

24 Fret

FB: Ebony with custom inlay. Dots on side only.

Back: Wenge

Top: Flamed maple

PU's: SD Pearly Gates

Tuners: Schaller

Bridge: TOM

Hardware color: Black

Plans:

DSC01022.jpg

Neck blank progression:

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

Body progression:

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01086.jpg

Screwed up on my wiring channel. May have to open up more of the control cavity to allow wiring to feed to all pots.

DSC01087.jpg

Before anyone says anything, more clamps were eventually added. Yes, they really are needed.

DSC01091.jpg

Templates for carve. I really hate mdf. The dust makes me itch even thinking about it.

DSC01093.jpg

DSC01096.jpg

DSC01104.JPG

Ready to plane the neck and pickup planes. Need to build a jig.

DSC01106.JPG

Neck and pickup angles planed

DSC01107.jpg

I know most folks use an orbital sander for this part but aside from not owning one, I feel like I would have a lot more control with a scraper.

DSC01111.jpg

A few beers later I end up with this

DSC01115.jpg

Still lots of tweaking to do on the carve but that is where she will sit for tonight.

• 5 months later...

Wow. . .I have really let this project sit idle for a while. I hate to use the excuse but life has gotten in the way once again. Summer has been booked up pretty solid for me and I have been just trying to keep up. I have promised myself that I would get going on this again soon.

No progress to show yet but the friend I am building it for decided a few months ago he would like binding on the body. Since I had already carved it and I have no overhead router or other fancy solution I sat on it for a while. Yesterday I had some time to kill since so I started on a proof of concept for a router jig inspired by something I saw created by Setch. I rebuilt the whole thing today using what I had learned in my POC and am nearly complete. I need to finish the adjustable fence and run a few test cuts with it but if all goes well I should have my binding channels cut in within a couple days.

20130622_222620.jpg

20130622_222628.jpg

20130622_222610.jpg

Pros, good call on the second mount. I have added that and started work on my adjustable fence v1.0 tonight. Not much time to work on this as I spent most of my day brewing a California Common style lager. I am hoping I will have a little time tomorrow to fine tune the fence design. As of right now I have the ability to expose about .02 inches of a 1/4" straight bit for testing purposes. I need to reduce the height and depth of the fence as well as reduce the length of the extension arms but test cuts have come out great so far.

20130623_211238.jpg

Yeah, so the throat of this thing was not deep enough. Working on Version 3.0 atm. Updates pending. I did pick up a nice 3/4 horse Porter Cable Router motor to be used as my dedicated table router for 75 bucks today at the Rockler Outlet. Pretty happy with that.

• 1 year later...

Wow. Been a whole year since I have updated this thread. This project had to be put on hold for awhile but hoping to get back on track with it. This weekend I was able to route for binding and install as well. Purfling is on order and I am hoping to get it installed before the end of the week.

DSC01468.jpg