7 Strings Ash/wenge

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you wore a mask working that wenge with a grinder, wenge dust is some of the nastiest stuff iv ever had to deal with.

well... I use glasses (to see), so I fill uncomfortable with small white masks while working on wood... I only use a mask when working with bone or MOP.

Smoking. I am impressed by the daring/insane carve on the body. That was a huge leap of faith. Whenever a luthier relies on their ability to create lines in 2 different woods through a carve it is worth watching.

I am not sold on the neck/headstock binding but I will "hang fire" until the finish. (<--you saw that right Pro?_)

Continue on \m/

Sorry, late to the party as is fashionable. Yes, I saw that! <_<

Wow, this is a fantastic build. Nice choice of growth ring cut on the headstock cap and body also! Wenge looks great in the flat but looks better in the quarter on the body. Perfect.

The only negative (and I had to look hard to find any!) is that the lack of a secondary angle in the top carve to create a neck angle and the lack of heel contouring makes the heel look a bit fat and deep. I can appreciate how this would be an additional pressure in making the top carve correct however!

This is a big GOTM contender. Look forward to seeing it there. :-)

Thanks everybody! :D

The only negative (and I had to look hard to find any!) is that the lack of a secondary angle in the top carve to create a neck angle and the lack of heel contouring makes the heel look a bit fat and deep. I can appreciate how this would be an additional pressure in making the top carve correct however!

Totally agree... you forgot to mention the crappy binding end near to the heel (still thinking how to fix it)... that was a big design fail, this is my 6th build, and learning from errors...

best way to glue binding, like in the end of the headstock is to use acetone. That way you'll get invisible joints

Already fixed ;)

I have a stupid question: I'm for the grain filling stage, and I'll apply it with brush... do I need to tap the binding for the grain filler or it could be applied over it like another coat of nitro?...

• 4 weeks later...