Hi

I'm a UK based guitar maker, new to Project Guitar, and I thought I'd introduce myself properly with some examples of my finished work (with some production shots thrown in for good measure) - some of you might have seen my recent post in the Public Classified's forum in which I cut and paste some text from website about me/Serpentine Guitars.

Enjoy!

The first guitar showcased is one of my earliest; fixed bridge Super-strat (DC shape) with faux-neck-thru detail.

Rough DC body shape...

001roughbodyshape_zps48b294b9.jpg

(Faux-neck-thru) body inlay glued in place...

002bodyinlay_zpsf882fe4e.jpg

Neck pocket routed...

003neckpocket_zpsa8de7b48.jpg

Mock-up...

004mockup_zpsf4a6495f.jpg

Neck carved...

005neckcarve_zps447d9451.jpg

Final details (recessed ferrules, control cover, etc)...

006finaldetails_zps68c55d8f.jpg

Tru-Oil coats rubbed in...

007oilcoats_zpsbeeea3af.jpg

Complete (DC #1210)...

008complete_zps9ea058c8.jpg

Our next guitar was a commissioned build; C*nklin-style body (Ash with Buckeye Burl top), Birdseye Maple/Purpleheart (five-piece) neck and Ovangkol fretboard.

The Buckeye Burl top roughly shaped, in need of void fills - horrible stuff to work with; smells bad, dents easy and does not take an oil or lacquer finish easily...

011buckeyeburl_zpsdf3b2024.jpg

Mother of Pearl inlays (based on PRS-513 birds)...

012inlaysshaped_zps86e3ed04.jpg

Headstock blank...

013birdseyemapleandpurpleheartneck_zps63

Buckeye Burl and Ash body glued up, neck ready for carving...

014bodyandneckshaped_zps6f33890d.jpg

Contouring the back of the body - recessed heel and tummy carve...

015bodycontouring_zpsd0eb2e72.jpg

Clear coated and ready for assembly...

016clearcoated_zpse130cdbc.jpg

Finished...

017buckeyecomplete_zps2a56ac06.jpg

Vowed never to work with Buckeye Burl again!

This next guitar is a commissioned build, now with its owner in Switzerland; Mahogany RR-style body, Maple/Black Walnut/Maple neck with Ken Lawrence-style headstock (we won't be doing any of these again), Indian Rosewood fretboard, Schaller Roller (TOM) bridge, Hipshot machine heads and IronGear "Steam Hammer" pickup. The guitar (body) is finished in solid black dye and Tru-Oil...

028mrlheadstockdetailing_zpsca290d61.jpg

029mrlheadstockshaped_zps0b180b1b.jpg

030voluteandneckcarved_zpsda8f5396.jpg

031hardwaredryfit_zps1fddad32.jpg

032blackdye_zpsaf657b88.jpg

033rrcomplete_zpsd134b7fe.jpg

Nice work! The buckeye burl turned out beautifully! I like the V too - very nice with just dyed wood instead of painting it black.

So are they all finished in just tru-oil? The end result is top-notch and looks like exactly the type of finish I'd like to achieve myself. Just less resistant to abuse than nitro or poly I'd imagine, but on the other hand easier to "refresh", no?

Does anybody know any equivalent of this stuff that's available in Europe??

Nice work! The buckeye burl turned out beautifully! I like the V too - very nice with just dyed wood instead of painting it black.

So are they all finished in just tru-oil? The end result is top-notch and looks like exactly the type of finish I'd like to achieve myself. Just less resistant to abuse than nitro or poly I'd imagine, but on the other hand easier to "refresh", no?

Does anybody know any equivalent of this stuff that's available in Europe??

Thanks pan_kara!

All finished in Tru-Oil except the Buckeye guitar (2k gloss clear). No, won't stand up to the same levels of abuse as lacquer but easy to fix, refresh or completely refinish.

Where abouts in Europe are you? I'm UK based, no problems buying Tru-Oil here (Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil) - try eBay if you can't find it elsewhere.

Robbinst and Shelvock; thanks for your comments

Edited by SerpentineGtars

I'm in France at the moment. For some reason I thought I can only get it from the US and never came across the stuff in the online UK shops I was looking at but just after I read your reply I checked again and indeed - it even comes up on amazon and at least one of the merchants doesn't have the annoying "only UK shipping" limitation that hit me a couple of times already.

Looks like I'll be ordering some of that stuff then.. Thanks!

All finished in Tru-Oil except the Buckeye guitar (2k gloss clear). No, won't stand up to the same levels of abuse as lacquer but easy to fix, refresh or completely refinish.

Where abouts in Europe are you? I'm UK based, no problems buying Tru-Oil here (Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil) - try eBay if you can't find it elsewhere.

I'm in France at the moment. For some reason I thought I can only get it from the US and never came across the stuff in the online UK shops I was looking at but just after I read your reply I checked again and indeed - it even comes up on amazon and at least one of the merchants doesn't have the annoying "only UK shipping" limitation that hit me a couple of times already.

Looks like I'll be ordering some of that stuff then.. Thanks!

Good to hear you found it :)

• 7 months later...

Reposting links to some of the images originally posted at the start of this thread - unfortunately, deleted with my PhotoBucket account.

I am only posting finished guitars, as opposed to selected progress shots but they highlight, what is essentially, the purpose of this thread... "Some Finished Work".

Over the coming year, although I will continue building to customer spec, I will be promoting a number of original guitars from Serpentine Guitars. In the meantime, enjoy these...

1. The first guitar showcased is one of my earliest; fixed bridge Super-strat (DC shape) with faux-neck-thru detail.
gallery-25.jpg
2. Our next guitar was a commissioned build; C*nklin-style body (Ash with Buckeye Burl top), Birdseye Maple/Purpleheart (five-piece) neck and Ovangkol fretboard.
gallery-19.jpg
3. "Double Cutaway" inspired commissioned build w/ Gotoh hardware, Kent Armstrong pickups and Purple Sparkle finish.
gallery-32.jpg
4. Commissioned baritone DC - Sapele body with bookmatched Wenge top, Maple/Ebony/Sapele/Ebony/Maple laminate neck and Madagascar Rosewood fretboard.
gallery-13.jpg
5. Commissioned build; Mahogany RR-style body, Maple/Black Walnut/Maple neck, Schaller Roller (TOM) bridge, Hipshot machine heads and IronGear "Steam Hammer" pickup.
gallery-07.jpg
6. One of our stock builds; carve-top Mahogany DC with Maple/Ebony/Sapele/Ebony/Maple neck and Madagascan Rosewood fretboard, Gotoh hardware and EMG pickups.
gallery-01.jpg

Is it just more or do none of the pictures work? I'd like to see them.

Sorry, are you saying you can't see the photos I've posted in the last two replies? Or are you asking if these are new photos/guitars, if so, you'd like to see the old (deleted) photos too?

The photos in the last two replies were all originally posted at the start of this thread but got deleted when my PhotoBucket account got deactivated.

Here are a couple of shots of some recently finished "unfinished" work, now in Sweden. The guitar was sold in its bare state, ready for the new owner to apply their own finish...

gallery-33.jpg

And if the guy decides he is not up for the fast of finishing the guitar, just send him to me ;) (just kiddin)

Very nice stuff, indeed.