Set Neck Tenon Question

I can't figure it out, and no one seems to have a good answer for me. I am leaning towards the "its more expensive" rationale as my answer, however, on certain guitars this makes no sense (10,000$ PRSi for example).

The traditional set neck tenon goes a little passed the neck pick up. The "short tenon" goes into the neck pickup area. The long, deep set, set through (whatever vernacular) goes through the bridge (basically a neck through at that point). I understand these fine.

What I don't understand is why these neck heels on the expensive models have to be so large. To my understanding, only a short handful of guitar companies truly contour the heel on their set necks (Dean, Bowes are the only two that come to mind immediately). I know the extra wood helps stability somewhat, but is that needed on a long or even standard tenon'd guitar? Is there some structural reason that I'm not seeing or understanding? Old prsi have held up just fine O.o

For visual examples :

Why is this happening :

back_full.jpg

Instead of this :

EXP07B_heel.jpg

or more preferably :

DSCF0191.jpg

Old PRS's had the smaller heel, and have held up just fine. I don't know the reasoning, but I presume it is because it is easier or cheaper. I like the contoured look, but for whatever reason, some companies just do what they do.

Old PRS's had the smaller heel, and have held up just fine. I don't know the reasoning, but I presume it is because it is easier or cheaper. I like the contoured look, but for whatever reason, some companies just do what they do.

this answer makes infinite sense with cheaper guitars, but on that 15,000$ PRS private stock, it loses meaning :-/ Guess its just one of those things perhaps.

It is mainly the extra effor that comes with it. With gibson and PRS, they can just glue it in and be done. Instead of having to carve it afterwards. Along with tradition. I think its garbage...

You wont find a "definite" answer though. But i can guarantee those are the top 2 reasons. It doesnt matter how much a guitar costs. The idea behind it is to gain the most profit with the least amount of work. Just because it costs a lot doesnt mean they still wont cut corners.

It has nothing to do with what kind of tenon it has.

There's always a degree of "that's the way it has always been done" for better or for worse. The ultra-sculpted necks have a far larger area which is thin in section. Whilst this provides improved access, it might contribute to bendier necks. 60s SG city. The bigger PRS heel appeals to many purists who associate this visual cue with some classic age of PRS or some specific vaunted model. They might even swear that it improves the sound somehow. Again, the positive and negative aspects of this design feature could be debated for years and have been elsewhere. Lets not even go there. It's not worth the time.

To answer your questions without potentially opening up a bigger can of worms:

• no.
  • no.

Probably.

If the heel is located at a certain point to serve as a stop for the hand from sliding too far down the neck that is one thing but to have it so far away from the body inhibits playing the upper frets unless you have monster hands.

Not as much as you think.The body shape of those PRS doublecuts prohibit moving the fingerboard too far over the body....your main obstruction is the body,not the heel.It's more of a "why bother removing more heel than the design requires".There is more to fret access than merely a heel carve

prs-mccarty-131068.jpg