Kea's Guitar Build Thread

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

catifhs004_zpsd0238a60.jpg

It is photos like these that triggers my NAUBS (New Awesome Unnecessary Build Syndrome). I can't really fit one of these into the next year's build schedule but I wish I could. Damn you Luis! Also - and perhaps more importantly - I respect the design as your because it has that stamp of individuality which would leave me feeling like I was ripping you off. Because it would be. That specific shot really does highlight the perfect balance and mirroring of angles and overall stylistic aspects.

How is the design panning out with clients? Is this one proving to be popular? I would say this is a design that would "snowball". Kind of like how the KL EXP suddenly turned a big chunk of EXP GASsers into KL headstock GASsers.

Hope you get your paint conundrums rattled out. That's got to be a big frustration man.

Thanks Carl. The more i work on these the more I am pleased with the design and flow of it. I still cant believe i came up with it.

The design is really taking off with peoples interest. On my facebook page, it gets a lot of love, and i get quite a few messages about them.

And also, whenever i post progress pictures, i pretty much get committed buyers half way through a build. The last 3 i have made i had "sold" before they were done.

Its funny, because i was pretty sad once KL and i agreed that i wouldnt use his headstock anymore. And then i end up designing something that i like better and that has just as good of a market.

I think i have the paint issues sorted out too.

I think another factor that the lacquer primer was still gassing off after i sprayed basecoat. So it was cracking to release it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike.

I got the neck pocket and bridge hum routed, and the bridge holes drilled. Ran out of light to do the rest of the routing. I will finish it up tomorrow and glue the neck in.

I have enough mahogany for 2 more EXP guitars. I just really cant decide on top wood. Or find anything decent for that matter.

Yup, i knew that would be the first thing that somebody would point out. Normally i get that dead on. I mis measured when put the neck pocket template on. Just another mishap to add to the never ending list.

Do a black edge burst all the way around, that should hide the actual join by a separation line and appear more inline. ::

MK

Your stuff is always so precise, I knew you were expecting that. I agree with Mike about the burst btw. Or route out a bit of the heel and fill it with a piece of the wood you used for your scarf accent and shape that back into your original heel shape. That will break up the lamination lines and add a visual balance to your scarf accent.

SR

Your stuff is always so precise, I knew you were expecting that. I agree with Mike about the burst btw. Or route out a bit of the heel and fill it with a piece of the wood you used for your scarf accent and shape that back into your original heel shape. That will break up the lamination lines and add a visual balance to your scarf accent.

SR

Another good idea as well. :) Try something to break the line up and still add visual appeal as Scott suggested. Even sometype of inlay would work. :)

editted to add: Maybe even routing it flat and square and then adding a heel cap and reshape

MK

Thanks for the suggestions.

But i can guarantee if i tried to do any of those, it would come out worse than the way it is now. I cant pull that kind of stuff off.

Send it to me Luis I can screw it up for you and then you can just blame me. LOL!!!!!!!

Or maybe I can fix it. ;)