Any help will do

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

The guitarist in my band has one. He loves it. It sounds really nice (even tho EMG selects arent really my thing) and he can't keep his hands off the whammy bar.

It isn't entirely true that it stays perfectly in tune from one string change to the next; he has to do some fine tuning every jam (once a week), but nowhere near the level of any other trem bridge I've ever seen.

I play bass, so I only know so much, but he loves it. And for the price especially.

skibum5545

PS i think you can only get them at musicyo.com

One of Kirks guitars has a hard maple body. I've been wanting to build one for a while to see how it sounds. I don't think it's the KH-2 though (I think that one is Alder?). If you go with one of Kirk's, are you going to do the skull and crossbones inlay? The skulls are pretty easy but the crossbones are very, very difficult.

KH2 & 3 have alder bodies, bolt-on maple necks (OFR)

KH2 Vintage has alder body, maple thru neck (OFR)

KH602 & 603 have maple bodies and maple thru necks (OFR)

KH202 & 203 have basswood bodies, bolt-on maple necks (Loscenced Floyd)

Now which is closest to what you see Kirk with on stage?

btw i do agree that hetfield is also great...but i don't want to hijack jeff's thread any more,so you can p.m. me if you like and we can discuss it

Thank yo Wes. However, I do need to comment. Kirk has what appears to be a limited vocabulary, but that is mostly due to his Ace Frehley influence. Ace makes the best use of his limited vocab as possibl. Niether is impressive to the technical player, but the pentatonic scal is quite melodic when used propperly. And if you want to talk sloppy, he's more accurate then either Jimmy Page, Slash, or Mark Tremonti.

i guess my feeling is that i have the utmost respect for hammett...he is what inspired me to pick up the guitar.as i have become a better guitarist i realize that he is not the best,but his ability to play rythm and lead effectively is still enough to earn my respect

plus he has had moments of pure brilliance.the lead to "the call of ktulu",harvester of sorrow","fade to black","to live is to die"....they all sound so sweet to my ears

and my personal favorite all time kirk hammett lead?the second solo on "jump in the fire"...it is just so beautiful to me when i hear it i just close my eyes and everything else dissapears....

which is why it was so heartbreaking when they totally did that 180 in the early 90s :D

Muck agreed wes. The

new
Metallica is pure cream of the crap IMO. So FWIW...Fade to Black ROCKS......but my personal current fave........

CREEPING DEATH

""jump in the fire"...it is just so beautiful to me when i hear it i just close my eyes and everything else dissapears...."

I used to love playing that song, and was called a "good guitar player" because I could play it, and I had only been playing guitar for a year. I couldn't come up with my own stuff at all then. I guess if I think about it, that song is very good for practicing, because the "riff" or whatever you call it, is a part of a pentatonic scale, and the rest of the rhythm is good to practice your timing.

I still say consider a steinberger type guitar, but the only thing I really don't like about them is that there's no adjustable truss-rod. Maybe that's no big deal, tho.

I just assume humidity could be a big problem on a ship, which could make a regular guitar need constant tweaking.

Or if you think about it. WATER might be a big problem on a ship LOL :D

Nothing wrong with buying something used and tweaking the hell out of it, so it's the best playing guitar they ever had. That's all I got time to do with guitars.

Wasn't there this article a few weeks back of one of Satriani's former students who said that Hammett definitely was one of the scarier players in Joe's Guitar Dojo? I believe that, I only think he has found a style to play where he doesn't flash technique a lot and that's cool...still I remember seeing live clips from them and thinking "god that dude sucks"...I'm still not sure if he is a great guitar player or ont but he's been an influence to quite a few so I will not try and judge him.

As for the Ouija Jem, that would be truly unique. I"d say go for it.

so long

ace

I like it all, but when you listen to Kill 'Em All, it makes the rest seem a bit ponderous. Another vote for 'Jump In The Fire', and Kill Em All as a whole.

PS, what about Basswood for the body...light...kinda like a girly-man guitar oughtta be! (light enough to float I bet)

B)B):DB):D:D:DB)

...and Kirk is a big sci-fi freak, if you can do a mummy, then why not do something original, like the chick in 'The Bride Of Frankenstein' with that spirally black and white hair thang? (and fangs of course)...I bet if you went to Warner Bros. on-line and looked under horror/monster posters you'd get some ideas...I hate doing copies of anything really...

How about a Ouija Jem travel style guitar so it's easy for her to stow on the boat (provideing that she's on a boat- my brother was in the Navy for 5 years and never went to sea - go figure :D )

Also, I'd see what your missus thinks, building free guitars for other women - mine would be a bit suspicious B)

One of Kirks guitars has a hard maple body. I've been wanting to build one for a while to see how it sounds. I don't think it's the KH-2 though (I think that one is Alder?). If you go with one of Kirk's, are you going to do the skull and crossbones inlay? The skulls are pretty easy but the crossbones are very, very difficult.

Definitely the KH-2 Vintage.

The KH-2 that he uses are all neck-throughs.

And one of them is beat to crap (the one with the "Caution: HOT" sticker).

You can get all of that info on espguitars.com. The thing I want to know is what you are planning on doing for the inlay? Skull & crossbones? Plan on weeks of work (frustrating work at that) just for the crossbones. Those things snap sooo easily. Even if you manange to get them cut, the process of gluing them into the wood can result in cracking and boy is that frustrating! :D

Definitely the KH-2 Vintage.

The KH-2 that he uses are all neck-throughs.

And one of them is beat to crap (the one with the "Caution: HOT" sticker).

Or the KH602 for his "new" ones

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so ouija jem it is...but here's the twist:

Instead of being like this:

espouija.jpg

It will be flamed maple veneer and I will make the lettering out of some sor of vynl. Then I will airbrush/spray/wipe on black stain for a trans ouija. Neck thru, and EMG 81/85. Prolly just dot inlays. The other option is an acoustic strat like thing, similar to what BeAr did, with the above mentioned finish.

my $0.02...

ouija graphic is cool and easier to do than the custom art ones he has. Plus it will merge the two concepts together than the vintage (it'll just be a beat up black jem at that point). You can pick up an ouija board at Toys R Us for $20 and then have a graphic artist scan and cut the pieces to a thin vinyl. Apply to a black body then clear coat and yer done. My question is if she's on a boat, where the hell is she gonna play it and out of what amp? I almost am agreeing for teh steinberger body since space may be an issue (altho I speak out of ignorance as I've never been in the navy or on a boat).

Kirk Hammett...he's a hero of mine. He's no Yngwie but at least he dresses better and has cooler looking guitars. And he was more influenced by Michael Schenkner(sp?). Hetfield...also a favorite of mine but remember he and Lars were Metallica and that was their rule. It was his music only --almost to the point of selfishness. That's why writing credits were few for Kirk and Jason Newsted. Either way they were extremely influential and both run circles talent wise around any of the dumb schmucks with record deals now.

I also like the idea of flame maple top, so instead of white, be transparent and have transparent black instead of black. That'd be cool.

NDM1TSG.jpgKH2Vintage.jpg

i dont know how you can find a good painter to do the jem, but the jem will b really good for your friend coz of the flowers n stuff...thee noodles model looks just sweet...the esp guita of kirt is eally lovely a friend has one it roares like terrodactyle maybe coz of the pickups B)

it's just a sugestion but if you really want to do it for someone that you wont see anymore (NOTHING IS MPOSIBLE :D ) GOOD LUCK :D

-KILOWAT®

JEM77PF.jpg

sorry about the jem photo...lol