Project The Hand of Doom -- Reprint

And the flame on the back of the headstock.

You know I don't play that guitar enough... it just hangs waiting to do bad things.

That cavity cover got redone about 5 times. Everytime I glued it up it curled or split. I ended up epoxying what was left of it to a piece of Lexan.

The good I got from that is I am testing a new cavity cover method using garolite as the back and epoxy to hold a veneer of the exotic to the front. Garolite is stiffer than lexan and garolite appreciates CA and epoxy a lot more.

I have 3 or 4 Ziricote billets (maybe 2 tops from each) laying on the shelf for a serious S9 run. Maybe I get lucky and get some real character tops from them.

Flame huh? I shied away from mentioning that.

It was that cavity cover that got redone so many times? I was thinking it was one of the headstock veneers. I also forgot about the bacote lams in the neck tell I scrolled back through these shots again.

It's pretty hard not to get some character out of ziricote........but like most characters it'll try to get away with something as soon as you turn your back on it.

You should play it more.

SR

I also forgot about the bacote lams in the neck tell I scrolled back through these shots again.

THey get lost in all the brown on the back.

You should see how dark the fretboard is these days. I should have shot clear on it to help keep it from oxidizing.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

missed a golden opportunity to name this build "the buckwheat" and when folks ask you why you say "cause it's full of O-tay" (bacote, zircote).  seriously thought mixing those too would be super busy but it looks amazing.  i appreciate your thorough documentation too.  nice job and thanks for sharing.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...