Wenge Top 7-String Build

I was going to say Elmers Carpenters Glue is a good,easy to find cheap alternative that has been tested to death and always comes through.Good and reliable,like Titebond I.

For some reason people tend to scoff at Elmer's...but it's the same thing with a "not as cool" name.

I still find myself using T88 epoxy in most joints,even after I claimed I was going back to titebond...Mostly because I like it and I trust it...especially on fret boards(which tend to give me hell with wood glues because the water makes the wood try to curl away)

I just used T88 for the first time on fret ends instead of CA.I love it because it seems to pull itself into the gap as it cures,and it is much more well behaved than CA,which always wants to go right where you don't want it to go.

Edited by westhemann

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's funny is I originally bought Titebond I, but everyone I talked to told me to use II... :blink:

I will definitely follow your advice on this and I appreciate the help. With as many pieces of wood as that neck is made out of I may end up having a real problem with it eventually...

BTW I'm a huge fan of using as many clamps as you can fit on a joint... I always think I need more though

2 is really just made for outdoor stuff like picnic tables...And personally I don't see why you need that,since Epoxy is much more water resistant than TB2 is.

Guitars are under constant pull from the strings,so creep in neck lams,neck heel joints and scarf joints can be a real issue.It will most likely never fall apart,but it doesn't take much shift to cause lines in your finish

I still find myself using T88 epoxy in most joints,even after I claimed I was going back to titebond...Mostly because I like it and I trust it...especially on fret boards(which tend to give me hell with wood glues because the water makes the wood try to curl away)

I use Titebond I to join the halves of tops and bodies together, and T88 for everything else. I may try West Systems some day.....but I really like the T88.

SR

Epoxy has its place. I use West Systems these days but I have a bigger budget than most. Still I think T-88 is the best of the bottle epoxies and fits most peoples budget.

Epoxy is good for Fretboards and Set Neck/Body joints and recently I have used it for attaching exotic tops to mahogany/limba variants to keep water out of the equation. I think we all saw what happend with the 6 string bass build I did. Still used responsibly with tight joints Tightbond will always produce a near invisible joint stronger than the surrounding wood.

Any yellow carpenters glue is usually sufficient. Even good white glue works great for Luthier work.

Just remember to make sure your glue is fresh. Leaving Titebond I in a below freezing environment is not good for it. Also I try to buy smaller bottles that can be used in a few weeks time rather than have a large jug that hangs around for years.

Thanks, I appreciate all the glue talk guys it's very helpful. I always do all my gluing (and keep the glue) inside the house so it's always at room temp. I also read that it can go bad so I buy the smaller bottles of it when I know I'm going to be starting something. I really like the glue joints I've been getting with Titebond so I don't think I'll change that up at all, other than using Titebond I, plus it's always readily available to me.

I haven't had any problems with wood curling or anything like. Are there specific woods that are affected more so than others?

I haven't made anymore progress other than reducing the fretboard thickness by about 4mm. I'm trying to get the neck down to the chunkier Jem Dimensions and I've gone as far as I'm comfortable going with the back of the neck...

I haven't had any problems with wood curling or anything like. Are there specific woods that are affected more so than others?

I don't know about that.it's the thickness that matters.Put a wood glue like titebond on a piece of veneer and you will see what I am talking about(just for example).

I would say that at about 1/4" or less(roughly),wood starts to curl away from the glue.If you have enough clamps you can counter it,but it really sucks to lose a fretboard,so I prefer not to take any chances....so I use epoxy where I can.

But that's just me.Others have plenty of great glue joints on fretboards with Titebond and similar.I just prefer my process be as idiot proof as possible so I can't pull a boner on it

Edited by westhemann

Thanks Wes,

I see.... I haven't worked with any veneers yet. This is only my second top, but both of them are 1/2" thick. The fretboards I used were my first go at resawing with my new Woodslicer blade and I made them a little too thick so that could be why I haven't had any issues yet.

How's the epoxy as far as removal goes? I noticed you said you were using them on frets. Does it loosen up with heat if you need to refret?

It it were me I would go farther with the volute. Make it more of a diamond and less of a snake head shape. Or dish the back of the volute so it doesn't look so large.

Clunky and volutes are not a good thing. It usually is better to go ahead and take more wood off than play it safe. Every time I have tried to play it safe it turned out clunky.

Cheers!

Although if you inlaid some eyes and painted some reptile scales the snake head would become a cool feature instead of just "too much wood"...it looks like it is swallowing the headstock like a python swallowing a Goat or someting...If you could figure out how to give the impression of the headstock being some sort of animal a snake might swallow?Like a fish with it's head already in the snake's mouth?The Cottonmouth is common around here and eats fish as a main staple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_piscivorus

I think that could be awesome and could become a signature of yours...Front looking like a headstock and back looking like a snake eaing a fish...you could even use the neck as the snakes body or something if you were good with airbrushing

Edited by westhemann

<_< You guys are killing me!

I might take some off the top of it to flatten it out a little bit, but I do like the look of it as is. The pictures make it look a lot bigger than it really is... It's also a really comfortable fit in my hand, so the snake head stays!!!!

Now on to radiusing the board.... sanding Bubinga is usually fun...

I have a pair of BKP Miracle Man raw nickle covered pickups and black Hipshot locking tuners on the way, and I think I'm going with a black Schaller TOM roller bridge string through setup as well... Looked at the Hannes bridge...maybe on the next one...

Edited by Sancho Marino

sanding Bubinga is usually fun...

Been there.I have two guitars with Bubinga bodies,and one is a carved top.Sanding nightmare,but the finished product is always nice

Yeah it is a beautiful wood when finished up... The 2nd guitar I built has a one piece Bubinga back, the sanding was a little rough... The great thing about it is it doesn't rip very easily when you're routing it though...

012_zpsf1d1b2cf.jpg

Edited by Sancho Marino

Yeah,I bought figured blanks(they were all the rage at the time) and they were $300 per.Set the router right down on the top and it didn't even scratch it.

This is "pomelle" figuring

312035_283438998363428_1447519778_n.jpg

383314_283438951696766_701152376_n.jpg

And this is "waterfall"

223938_453205141386812_399476192_n.jpg

564415_453204994720160_1314262033_n.jpg

386918_453205201386806_1165919711_n.jpg

The Explorer started off as a different guitar altogether,but it was too heavy

So I changed my mind on the pickups and bridge :rolleyes: ... got a new pair of Evo's and a Hipshot bridge for this one. I'm going to save the BKP's for my next build, a flame top LP....

I always wanted to try out some Evo's in Mahogany and I think the Zebra's will fit the woods better :mrgreen:

004_zpse927ab05.jpg

Going to try to make a place to park the BKP's in with this...

001_zpsa571972e.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s454/ZR20091/J%20Custom%20Build/006_zps393432d2.jpg[/img

011_zps93e2fe25.jpg

Edited by Sancho Marino

I worked on this all day yesterday and got a lot done... Routed the neck pocket, pickups, and control cavity, drilled out my modded "Jem" hole, finished shaping the body, sanded to 320 and put a light coat of oil on to get an idea what she's going to look like....

Did a quick mock up to make sure everything fits right... I'm really liking the way it's turning out so far icon_mrgreen.gif

010_zpsb015999c.jpg

002_zps2685ae19.jpg

003_zps6700cb99.jpg

016_zps881e90ac.jpg

Edited by Sancho Marino