Second acoustic build

I'm on extended sick leave (75% pay) because I have a three foot long blood clot in my left leg. :blink: I didn't think they could get that big. I HAVE to be up and mobile for 10-15 minutes per hour, and that isn't possible driving a bus, so here I am with a TON of time to kill. What's a luthier to do. :rolleyes:

acoustic #2

mahogany back & sides (mostly)

cedar bracing & kerfing

spruce top

douglas fir neck

I haven't decided on the fretboard & bridge yet. I might go completely off the reservation and use rock maple. We know that structurally there is no reason not to use it. It wouldn't look "right" on an acoustic, but that's only because we're not used to seeing it. But we'll just wait and see.

Today and tomorrow I'm milling all of the lumber. When it's all done, I'll pose some pics and begin construction.

• Like 1

Bad news about the clot, make sure to look after that.

May I ask why use Spruce bracing if using a Cedar top?

I'm not a "acoustic" guy, but it's my understanding that the bracing should match the top so it moves/expands etc at the same rate. The kerf, back strips etc not as important.

I've not been able to get a solid reason as to why the bracing/kerfing should be the same wood as the top.

If it's a consistent movement, then why not insist that the entire box be the same wood? Why wouldn't it be important for the bracing/kerfing to match the wood for the back/sides? In my mind, the lack of consistency throughout the box defeats the argument.

The top on an acoustic is under a lot of stress which can pop the bracing off, the back and sides don't have this pressure pulling at it, this is why.

Think of the neck and strings as a lever, as well as the top having to vibrate consistently, the kerf does not have to match, it just has to hold the top to the sides. The bridge plate does not have to match, but the rest of the top bracing should.

Uh oh.. That's what I'm using. I hope it's got more life in it! Any plans to get a new one ?

-Brett

Dont worry, they last forever if you take care of them and you dont push them to cut more than they should. I have had mine 2007 and have put probably 2000 board feet of wood through it. Probably more. I have pushed it hard and it is still going just fine. Had to replace the blades i think 4 times (double sided) but other than that it is great for the price.

I was able to get it going yesterday afternoon, so today I was able to mostly finish milling the lumber.

01_zpsd1bb5df8.jpg

sides, 25" scale fretboard and material for bridge

I went with guyana rosewood for the fb/bridge/headplate. I will do one in maple... eventually.

02_zps88e296be.jpg

spruce top

03_zps18bc4a85.jpg

04_zps55258860.jpg

I came up with a helper. See, I'm terribly inaccurate when resawing lumber. I can't make anything resembling an even verticle cut to save my live unless the piece is over 2" wide.What I did was make a jig to attach to the circular saw so that I have a 1/4" wide channel cut around the entire board. This makes it easier to run it through the bandsaw. I actually create less waste this way than doing it by hand.

def6b4bb-6d5a-4392-96b0-b85fc5483b04_zps

As my bandsaw is only 6 7/8" tall, I cannot make a 2-piece back that is 16" wide. This is my vision of a 3-piece back. I've seen it on other factory acoustics, so I have -zero- qualms about doing this. 2 back zippers and 2 interior braces should take care of everything.

07_zps358da983.jpg

kerfing and bracing material milled and ready to be cut

06_zps7e4fe13b.jpg

douglas fir neck blank

I'm not 100% sold that I'll be using this for the neck. Other options are leftover mahogany and some white walnut I got for free.

Now that this is all ready to go, I believe I'm done for the day. Tomorrow is football, so I'll start construction Monday.

I'm planning on doing something fun with the scroll saw for the inlays and soundhole(s). Something Japanese themed.

What's so interesting about wood in the clamps? The only "glue-up" pic I feel is mandatory is the "every clamp you can fit on" when the f/b is being glued on. Not sure why.

Anyway, today I plan on bending the other side, leveling & scarfing the neck, and prolly starting to glue the back together. We'll see if there's time for more - I have to work on one of SWMBO's projects too.

2nd side bend and setting overnight

neck scarfed, ash scarf accent in the clamps

p1 pf the blac glued up

After I got the geometery of the back joints laid out, the trick was cutting the middle triangle 1) without tearout and 2) a jointed seam. This was my solution.

08_zps65f9080b.jpg

09_zps01e80749.jpg

double-side tape a board with a freshly-jointed edge along the line, cut off the extra, and use a trim bit to joint the edge

And the neck blank in all it's glory: mahogany from the same boards as the back/sides with ash pinstripes. The extra length of pinstripes on both ends eliminates planer snipe when it's being leveled.

10_zpsc87db804.jpg

headstock in the clamps

2nd side bent

1st set of kerfing in the bender - Yes, I like the idea of pre-bending the kerfing. It's an extra step now, but I just know that it'll make installing them a lot easier.

back glued

soundhole rosette installed - I went with the same guyana rosewood I'm using for the f/b & bridge.

11_zps01ca0cba.jpg

12_zps1365d273.jpg

13_zpsf66d398e.jpg

14_zpsb7a9eb88.jpg

Note that the back isn't cleaned up yet and that I'll have to clean up the dent I put in the bracing.

As for the crane theme.....

soundhole

soundhole_zpsb80e16d2.jpg

headstock

headstock_zpse41d0638.jpg

12th fret (sideways, along the length)

12thfret_zps9c23c182.jpg

I started to work on gluing up the body, but I didn't get far.

When I planed the sides down, I accidentally took it to .06". I was a bit concerned that it was too thin. As it was too late to do anything about it, I concluded "Fook it. Too late to do anyrhing about it. Let's hope for the best and see what happens. Apparently, this is what happens.

21_zps0404142c.jpg

I chose to honor the spirits of those who came before me and partake in their sacred rite.

So then this happened....

22_zps3dab9c2c.jpg

23_zpsed5e45a6.jpg

24_zps76e2d9a8.jpg

25_zpsd51066d8.jpg

26_zpsf9d1f7b3.jpg

27_zpsb74c4b8b.jpg

Nothing left to do now but get some more lumber and not take them that thin again.

• Like 1