This ain't gonna be yer "normal" SS.

This is going to look killer. Can't wait to see some finish on this.

Thanks!

It's still got a fair amount of detail work to get in, but I'm looking forward to seeing some finish on it too. I'm also looking forward to seeing the burl come to life as I sand it with finer grits.

SR

... rather than what it could be said to look like.

SR

I didn't se that at all... until you mentioned it! <_<

I didn't either until I was choosing and editing pics.

I'm not sure what that says about us...... :mellow:

My original vision for that carve was a bit more involved....and dificult, and this is where it wanted to go.

Huh :blink: ....I retrospect, I kind of get that. :)

SR

Cheers pan_kara!

Perhaps you shouldn't stay away so long......you'd be less likely to get a shock when you come back. :P

I'm glad you like the original design features I tend to go with. I'm not surprised though; you've been known to try a few original ideas yourself, and with great success, I should add.

SR

Looking fantastic, hey, my guess of what the horns were going to be was pretty close, but now it is clear that they are horns with peduncles!

Your guess was very close. I had to be very careful how I answered. You guessed a Viking helmet with horns and rings and I said yep, that's it....except for the Viking helmet and rings part. :D

I don't think anybody caught that I was telling you that your were correct in that the horns were really going to be horns.

SR

You know how as you get down towards the end of a build you end up flipping the guitar around a lot as you change positions to get to all the awkward little places that need sanding? You get a feel for how it is going to handle. This one is going to be sweet. Deceptively light and nicely balanced. It looks like a devil but handles like an angel.

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

SR

Thanks!

Yeah, it's unique all right. It's growing on me, but I'm pretty sure it is not going to appeal to everyone. :P

No there is no finish on it yet. It has been sanded to micromesh 3200 so far. I'll take it all the way to 12000 to get those great highlights and glow from the figure and then it will get a teak oil finish which will knock a bunch of the shine off.

SR

I like it more than I thought I would too, to tell you the truth. It was one of those designs that once I had it in my head - it just had to be done. As odd as the neck join looks, it actually feels great. It is so far into the body that really never feel it at all.....and you can stick all four fingers into the neck pickup route. No problem reaching the 24th fret. :)

SR

Yes I assumed fret access was premium. Originally I worried about the stability of the neck joint. Then I remembered that your guitars are considerably thicker than the things I build. I would guess that we have about the same amount of wood at the neck pocket.

That aluminum thing I built earlier this year has a fair amount of access as well.

Yes I assumed fret access was premium. Originally I worried about the stability of the neck joint. Then I remembered that your guitars are considerably thicker than the things I build. I would guess that we have about the same amount of wood at the neck pocket.

That aluminum thing I built earlier this year has a fair amount of access as well.

And don't forget my tenon reaches all the way to the bridge and is sandwiched between the top and body. The thickness of the top means the pickup routes do not go very deeply into the tenon. Taking extreme advantage of that was the main purpose of this unusual neck join.

That aluminum thing has a fair amount of access to pretty much everything.

SR