Zebrawood Pictures

Well, Drak asked me to post this, so here it is. I’m pretty happy with it overall, however, I did rout through the whole body and had to plug the control cavity from the back. Oh well. It is the 3rd one I’ve done (body only) and I just keep learning.

If you don’t realize it, Drak is a wonderful asset to have available. I saw a post of his and posted a question for him. Since then we have exchanged e-mails and I have sent him several calls for help. He has responded with quick and clear answers. I’m embarrassed to post my stuff in the same spot as his – and so many other talented people.

This one is 2 piece Zebrawood with NOS Nocaster pups, Fender Bridge and Squier neck. The Zebrawood wasn’t as hard to work with as I had heard and it finishes beautifully.

Marty

Body1.jpgZebrawood-Full.jpg

Marty, the way you saved it tells way more about you than just having it come out A-OK from the start. If you didn't tell anyone, no one would even know.

Double-Kudos. :D

That is a sweeeeet guitar!

How's she playin and soundin?

PS, just one amateur helping another...

Guys, wow, you really know how to make a noobie feel good. If you had told me a year ago that I could do something like this, I would have thought you were crazy. Like lots of you, I tend to dwell on the mistakes, but you just gotta keep on learning from 'em. I've made enough that before too long I will have this stuff mastered.

Canuck, (can I call you Canuck? B) thanks, the finish is just a few coats of re-ranch nitro. I like it fine for that, but is not as heavy as the Behlens I used for the body.

Drak, it sounds and plays fine to me. :D But I'm a lot better at accumulating and making them then playing them.

Thanks again,

Marty

that wood is pretty happen'n, the guitar almost looks empty, cause the grain is so strong, very nice looking

if you're going to try making another i think binding would look MEGA sweet on that guitar :D

That's lovely :D .

I think it might have been me who said it is a bit of a pain to work with. Dunno how you found it but I found the endgrain to be rock solid, but the rest of it is ok, very strange wood indeed. I'm using it as the centre laminate of my neck, which is also hard as the grain always makes the centre line look wobbly (the grain on my wood is a bit less straight than yours).

Hope you're happy with it. So whats next then MDW?

That looks SWEET Marty!

This is only my second post here AND I've never even made a guitar body yet. I'm going to dive in on making a Don Grosh style tele shape with a carve top myself (hope I'm not going in over my head but WTH, only live once and the wood was free) :D

One word, three times: hubba-hubba-hubba. A GREAT job on the finish.

One thing that I did notice is that you used a Gibson style switch rather than a Tele style. Any particular reason? Do you have any pix of the back?

And don't worry about being a newbie. There is a difference between building skill and posting on this site. And you got some skill.

Take care and keep on building.

Guitar Ed

Guys, Thanks again. Guitar Ed, I posted a pic of the back in the "Filling Butchered Cavities" thread here. There was a bit of butchering involved that shows on the back. It was supposed to be a rear rout, but after butchering that I decided to make the control cover. Got a free piece of ebony for that.

As for the Gibson switch, 2 reasons; I actually like the look a little better, and more importantly, it is easier to drill the hole than to cut the slot for the Fender type.

BTW, I am editing this to add that this site is without a doubt the best I have ever seen for building and working on guitars. DRAK turned me onto it and it has quickly become a great resource. Thanks to all.

Marty