My 2nd build: DOPAMINE

DOPAMINE

This is my 2nd build and was one of the most challenging project I've ever done. I put a ridiculous amount of time into it. 

This was my first: http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48345-let-me-have-it-first-build-adrenaline/

On the first day of working on it, it jerked on the router and took a chunk of meat out of my finger and drew a lot of blood, that is what earned it it's color.

I designed this body with functionality and uniqueness in mind.

Body: Ash , Padouk accent (Pickup rings, switch, back cover)

Neck : 24 fret Floyd neck 

Scale: 25.5"

Pickups: Artec

Electronics: Simple 3 way switch, tone, volume

Finish: Torch, Dye, Shelac, Oil

Please let me know what you think, I am still learning about guitar building so any feedback you have is greatly appreciated. :D

IMG_2337.JPG

Photos.jpg

Collages.jpg

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG

My brother in law playing it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZePJAPuEWM

Edited by MasterOfTheWind
  • Like 2

Thank you Andy !!

I used regular cheap wood dye, it comes in a powder and I mixed red with a little bit of yellow to get that fiery bloody color.

Actually, as the wound was healing it went through just about all the colors that are on the guitar except for the chrome... :hyper

I have pictures of it, but trust me, it is not something you'd want to see... LOL

oh yes, not a good picture... unfortunately I saw it first hand... hahahha ... lesson learned right? "Respect the router"

I always try to have a healthy fear of the power tools when I'am using them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScottR said:

I love all the curves and contours, and the color and the finish.

Were you trying to capture a flame with the shape?

SR

Thank you Scott !! Initially when I started it, I didn't really know how I would finish it, I went spontaneous with it. Once the body was cut, carved and burnt, it just gave me that fiery feel, so I just went with it...

15 hours ago, MenO said:

oh yes, not a good picture... unfortunately I saw it first hand... hahahha ... lesson learned right? "Respect the router"

I always try to have a healthy fear of the power tools when I'am using them.

Of all the power tools, routers are probably one of the most potentially hazardous.  Whereas a circular saw can have your arm off in the blink of an eye, it doesn't usually have the potential to leap out of your grip and play havoc with everything between you and its final resting place (which is usually a part of your anatomy!) on the way down ;)

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I keep looking at the body on this.  I love the folds in the carve.  Maybe just needs a more fancy headstock to match?  I think the shape's fine but maybe a decal or some patterning?

Yeah the headstock is kind of plain, the only reason I didn't modify it is because it this forward direction with a spike like look at it kind of flows the body's "spikes"...

I am still have no experience with inlays or badging. I will try to do something on my next build, I also wanted to keep the body really clean and haven't decided what imprint I want on it and where, that is why I did it on the rear electronics cover... Which is BTW held by 6 super strong magnets...

2 hours ago, MasterOfTheWind said:

I also wanted to keep the body really clean and haven't decided what imprint I want on it and where, that is why I did it on the rear electronics cover... Which is BTW held by 6 super strong magnets...

I like that feature very much :)

I am more conservative in shapes, but admire your courage. Finish is awsome. And the matching tuning knobs!

How is the ergonomy with the switch and knobs? And output jack?

From the rear the route is not nice, next time you must do better. I am little affraid of the cavity weakening the neck pocket neighbourhood, but it will not be a broblem.

BTW look at my rear route.

P1410063.jpg?ver=2

I have only few advices. Build more, start making necks and put your imagination in the neck design too.

1 hour ago, kmensik said:

I am more conservative in shapes, but admire your courage. Finish is awsome. And the matching tuning knobs!

How is the ergonomy with the switch and knobs? And output jack?

The ergonomics are great (in my opinion) it is very comfortable the weight is good, the controls are easy to reach, kind of like some older Japanese guitars. I just pushed them a little forward... I assume it would take any musician some getting used to. But it works...works well in my opinion (:

The thing with the router is feeling the physics of it. I demonstrated to a student why you should NEVER trap a workpiece between the cutter and the fence by simply feeding in a small strip....which flew several metres across the shop and into the far wall.

I like @sdshirtman's workholding jig that he used for doing cavity covers. It's working smart that leads to better results, and safe ones at that. Always work well under the capacity of the router and bit, and know when the forces they are applying to cutting are coming close to exceeding your own workholding capacity. Beyond that, the router is in control and bad things happen.

I like to calculate things too....always good for illustration: a 19mm diameter router bit running at 22,000RPM travels 22000*2πr millimeters per minute, or about 21.9m/s....roughly 49mph. When a router catches a workpiece, you'll immediately feel the true torque of the motor. Worst case, that workpiece ends up moving somewhat close to the speed of the cutter! This is entirely why you should never climb cut without knowing which side of the formula you lay. If you get a catch (sometimes lack of luck is a factor) then the work will accelerate into the cut.

My rule of thumb is that 22 part of the maths there....the number of thousand RPM on a 19mm bit has a cutter speed of that number in metres per second. It's sobering enough to remind yourself of that before throwing yourself in gladly. :peace

• Like 1

Fingers are good Mm'kaay?  That cover jig was built purely out of trepidation and it still freaks me out a bit when I use it. Hopefully MasterOfTheWind has a new understanding of the potential for catostrophic digit damage a router has. I'm thinking pure luck is the only reason he doesn't have a stump where that boo-boo is.  Stay safe everyone.