Knightro Guitars 2016

@Prostheta I'm excited to see what you come up with! I ended up with the dot trios after some sketching and messing around and I like them a lot. I'm not sure when this one will happen, but I'd like it to be sooner than later. I'm halfway tempted to jump on this over the 8... this is a bit more interesting (electronically) and a lot less expensive (hardware-wise).

And you're totally right, my Voyager is very similar to his Northstar. It's a case of parallel evolution, I think.  

@ScottR Yeah, this shape is definitely my favorite of any I've designed so far. It just feels right to me. 

@103801061982- Thank you!

I blame Elvis.

That's some mighty riffing right there. I love old-school thrash more rather than blast-based stuff, however that's an excellent demo of how tight the guitar sounds. The low strings have excellent definition without flubbiness.

How was it recorded though? I mean, the rhythm guitar keeps playing under the solo so which is the multi and which was live?

Ah man, I know! He's got a unique talent for whipping out gnarly technical doomy riffs. I'm really happy with how the guitar sounds, it's properly mean and nicely defined. 

Every guitar part was recorded with this guitar. He uses an Axe-FX II XL (which is pretty damn amazing) and a bunch of other stuff I don't know about, but I know it's high-end software on the computer side of things. I don't think he even owns a traditional amp at this point....

I've always been of the opinion that Wengé tightens and defines lower register instruments. It balances out beautifully with Khaya and Brazilian Mahogany in necks. Slow and warm with enough tightening that the treble doesn't start becoming strident.

• 1 month later...

Looking good Andrew! Great to hear you checking in because it's been a while. Obviously you have been busy doing the right things, and hell, that looks ready to help you take over the world. Nicely sized unit too! Does it have climate control in there, or is that something you'll be working on?

Thanks guys! I've mostly been offline due to several writing-intensive summer classes, so I was just tired of staring at screens for a while. The wood shop on campus is closed all summer as well, so that really took the wind out of my sails for a bit. It feels great to be establishing my own space where I can do guitar work full time, no more compromises. It'll be my space, my tools, my schedule.

It's 1250sqft total, about 400 of that is an enclosed office/storage/toilet area which will have air conditioning. No climate control for the main workshop, but I do have a big-ass fan on the way :nanananananananananaPIRATE:

I know exactly how you feel. I've been working lofi since the school closedown over summer also. I have one year left and then the only degree higher is a master/artisan's degree. My tutors tell me I should just go straight to the exams for that one. We'll see.

Get yourself a method of measuring the temps and humidity around the place, for sure. You need to get the place under control.

13 hours ago, Prostheta said:

....Get yourself a method of measuring the temps and humidity around the place, for sure. You need to get the place under control.

At the very least, my wood storage area will be monitored and controlled for temp and humidity. I'd love to condition the whole shop, but that's just not in the initial budget. 

1 hour ago, sdshirtman said:

Jumping in with both feet.  Congrats. That looks like a nice space with plenty of room. Keep us posted with shop build updates. 

Thank you! I'll definitely post more pics as I take 'em :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think we discussed this elsewhere, however it's more to do with the perception of crowd-funding here in Finland based on the prevailing notion that it falls afoul of the law. It kinds of does and it doesn't you see. You have to give sometime in return, otherwise it is seen as "begging" according to laws which are waaaaayyy outdated and never brought in to regulate things like this. We more than provide "something in exchange" through what we do with PG and funding it via Patreon.

I'm trying my best to open up a discussion in parliament to better define legislation surrounding crowdfunding when it comes to creators and educational outlets such as ProjectGuitar.com, however traction is slow. Meanwhile, I am absolutely 'king drowning by not being able to secure even small loans because of it. We were meant to be filming weekly build videos back in June, but that pulled the rug right from underneath us. Fuming and frustrated doesn't begin to describe it....

To be honest, the intention was to be a lot further down the road than just weekly filming too. We want to feed back into the community by providing builders with support as democratically-elected by the community....helping with materials, tools and even photo gear. Getting everything rolling off the back of that first push forward has been a crucial thing we're still waiting for. I might have news on that by the end of October though....