Knightro Guitars 2016

PIW PIW! Lasers!

Looks like a nice, clean and spacious setup. Now get building something.

Cheap future upgrade ideas - you might want to consider replacing those long straight duct runs with rigid PVC pipe as big as your dust collector inlet can handle (probably 5" or 6" if you remove that Y-splitter inlet). You'll get far better suction at the end of the longer run to the drum sander, and you'll be able to take better advantage of the dual 4" ports on the bandsaw. Stormwater PVC pipe can be had cheaply from all sorts of places - agricultural supplies, plumbers, hardware store, even junk yard sales.

I appreciate the advice! I'm already thinking about running a 6" PVC main line with 4" branches for the equipment, though I get plenty of power at the far end. I may have lightly overspecced the collector... it's a fairly burly 2HP unit for my little system. 

So, back to building! I'm working on a 7 string Voyager with a 26.5" scale. 

The neck has been cut out and routed to shape, truss rod and carbon fiber channels were routed, tuner holes have been drilled, and I made a snazzy little rosewood heel laminate for a dash of extra flavor. 

IMG_20160902_174146_zpsgv7ztxmt.jpg
IMG_20160902_175230_zpsou5qrjs9.jpg
IMG_20160902_180354_zpsb2zivyr1.jpg
IMG_20160902_182246_zpsbikjwhjr.jpg
IMG_20160902_183505_zpsebkzrewa.jpg
IMG_20160902_184409_zpsoonflknm.jpg
IMG_20160902_184617_zps1ywuce2d.jpg
IMG_20160902_184834_zpsrhtqtnfj.jpg
IMG_20160902_191041_zpstlu1jqv8.jpg
IMG_20160902_191337_zpsm57r2umb.jpg
IMG_20160902_192844_zpsigew7slg.jpg
IMG_20160902_193049_zpsmxh5gzcc.jpg
IMG_20160902_201243_zpsivszwqlj.jpg
IMG_20160902_200708_zpspwzmbau6.jpg
IMG_20160902_202744_zpsnoieranh.jpg

• Like 3

@Prostheta You know, I always find myself questioning the clamping pressures you quote. It's not that I don't believe you or trust your experience, the numbers they want just seem ridiculously high. I've never gotten a bad joint when I go through proper prep and just clamp the sh*t out of my work (that's a technical term), but I doubt that I'm getting to the huge PSI levels you've talked about. I'm definitely curious to hear the results of your conversation. 

@ScottR Thanks Scott! I'm done messing around :D

You should question them Andrew, definitely. They are derived from theoretical best practice in the woodworking industry and adhesive manufacturer's technical specifications. Whilst studying my first degree I spent a lot of time visiting factories and seeing how they translate that into practice. It's more like engineering than it is art, however I guess that depends on your art tastes. haha

Now, we know that this magical golden zone of pressure the manufacturers quote is mostly theoretical since it is talking "product-backwards" rather than "end-use-forwards". I can't say that it is even possible for home gamers or pros to apply the pressures that the spec sheets say in some circumstances, whilst in others its possible to totally overshoot the mark! I would even suspect that home gamers have more time and opportunity on their hands to spend their resources working up to perfect clamping pressures than some guitar manufacturers in many instances. PRS are pretty canny with their air hoses.

It has to be borne in mind that not hitting that golden zone doesn't necessarily equate to an automatic bad joint or even the likelihood of one. Adhesive manufacturers don't broach this though publicly though, since that becomes a legal shitfest when things DO go wrong, even if that is one in a few thousand you know?

Standard numbers for hardwoods is about 200-400PSI dependent on species and growth ring orientation. In my opinion (this is all it is since this is the can of worms bit right here) we can get away with maybe a quarter to half of that as long as our basic joinery and preparation are on the ball. We might not achieve perfect ultimate bond strength or get the most invisible of glue lines, however the end product will work perfectly within its expectations. The top won't peel off the body just because we didn't do what the engineer's specs say we're supposed to! We'll still achieve the greater majority of that bond strength in terms of percentage, and if we're diligent about thickness of application then the glueline will be more or less perfect. It just gets out of the realm of guarantees that the manufacturer can provide and down to what our personal experience tells us. This is entirely why I don't think they are rules as such, however aiming at the bullseye gets you on the board. Getting it isn't that important, but at least knowing which way to face helps....!

Yeah, the numbers are scary and borderline insane....but real. Balancing a pickup truck on a top glueup isn't enough pressure, and I think that's where the numbers seem to drop out of common reality for most. You just can't easily visualise things like that because it's out of common human perspective. We can throw a potato, squash a tomato or kick down a door. You can't push over an Oak tree or restrain a dragster with your bare hands. It just doesn't seem right because we lack the familiarity.

I'm going to head over to see Lauri at Hydraulic Press Channel and we'll do a video on clamping pressure. :D

It's also worth bearing in mind that this is based purely off PVAc/aliphatics such as Titebond. Epoxy is the complete opposite since high pressure is the enemy of bond strength for that. I rarely have time to run real numbers in the field, however it's easy to look at a workpiece and see the magnitude of surface area stacking up. That's when the numbers get big.

That would be interesting!

I think that the allure of vacuum clamping for me is the ultra-consistent and even pressure application. I want properly good results every time with minimal time spent screwing around. If going vac means switching to epoxy rather than aliphatics for a lot of things, then so be it! I'm gonna go read about glue now....