2.5itim's first build!

The majority of my time lately has been spent on the other build I have going on but today I had to kill some time at work and knocked out my string block to replace my terrible ferrule drilling job. I cut it all cutaneous drilled, just need to round the edges over and get it to my powder coater. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I have so much scrap aluminum laying around I will probably do these for all of my fixed bridged guitars for now on. 

Andy, it does get a little rough with the lady at times. I'll carry chips home and not realize it and the lady of the house always seems to find them with her feet!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Prostheta said:

This is right up my street. I'd love to add metal working to my skillset.

It is extremely fun and accomplishing feeling, I've kind of lost the feeling of accomplishment in the past years with having to do it day in and day out but it's little things like this that bring that feeling back, the stuff I make for work I never get to see the finished product work, it goes to assembly then thousands of feet into the ground not to be seen for years. Stuff like this I actually get to see the end result so I like that! 

If you'd really like to get into the metal working hobby grizzly has a table top mill that I would recommend, I've used them a few times and they are kinda cool! Really small but big enough to make anything you'd need for a guitar!

With a little help from Facebook I've sorted out my truss rod adjust area, while its not quite as clean as a thumb wheel I'm happy with it and it works. Now I won't need to take off my pickup or loosen strings to adjust the truss rod. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really need to get this thing done!! 

So today I made my first nut, it's not the best but surprisingly I did alright. I'm really wishing I would have went with black tusq but it's alright. 

I also got my frets leveled (again), adjusted my truss rod and set my action. I'm really really liking the way this thing plays! 

What I have left is to finish my string block, get it powder coated, route the cavity for it, bevel/crown the frets, lacquer it, polish it, wire it up and finally play the damn thing!! We're getting close. 

image.jpg

The string block turned out nicely! 

The old string ferrules were a real pain to get out but after a little work with the chisel and a little flat head as a pry bar I got them out. 

The string block I made just under 1/2" wide so making a template to route the cavity was easy. I just put a piece of 1x4 on the bridge port and used a 1/2" carbide endmill to cut a slot the length of my string block. 

I am making one more string block for the "3rd?!? Shhhh" guitar and as soon as I get that one finished these will be going to powdercoating. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I didn't take into account how deep the bridge screws go, as you can see in that last pic I cut past the end of those holes so when I get new screws for the bridge I will have to grind the tips of the screws off a bit. 

3 hours ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

Wow that metal string block looks great. I always had problems with string through ferrules and there will always be one that isn't aligned. I may try to fashion a nice wooden string block next time but metal definitely looks cool! 

Thanks man! Yeah I royally screwed up my string ferrules so I kind of had to do this and I'm happy that I did. Both of the cavity covers will also be powder coated aluminum so I figured I would keep the trend going. I have another build that I did the covers out of padouk, I'm debating on making that string block out of that. 

I'm finally spraying this damn thing!!! 

Today I got the input jack hole recessed ( mental note next time recess it before drilling the hole), got the bridge ground wire holes drilled, frets crowned, fret ends beveled (I need to come up with a better more consistent way of doing this), side markers installed  and started spraying!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Goodness!  How those colours have popped out.  This is going to be outstandingly good :)

Thanks man, I'm super excited with the way the colors are after the lacquer! I'm also really liking what it did with the maple neck, it really darkened it up. I got 9 coats on the body and neck before I ran out of lacquer so I'm gonna call this good and let it sit for a few weeks before wet sand, Polish and assembly. 

Before spraying the neck the pocket was a hair to big and now it fits like a glove, I'm happy about that!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I crutched my way out to the shop today, I just couldn't stand being confined anymore. So I finish sanded, polished and started assembly on this one. 

I still need to make my cavity covers, wire it up and order my last 2 tuners if they will ever come off backorder. 

Anyways we are almost finished with this one and I'm getting super excited! Lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1