Round 2 - another 7

Its been dust day today. First things first though, trying to reinvent the wheel. I was going to try an go for something distinctive but ended up being quite conservative.

WP_20160601_16_09_13_Pro_zpsoqfyivbf.jpg

After twiddling thumbs until it was a decent time to make some noise, I got the neck and fingerboard thicknessed and levelled. I'm very surprised how well this thing worked. Why did I ever think doing this by hand was a reasonable idea?

WP_20160601_09_56_10_Pro_zpswizq5jdo.jpg

Swapped out the rails in the jig and cut a compound scarf. This was definitely a first for me, but all seems good. Just a small bit if cleanup before gluing.

WP_20160601_11_04_18_Pro_zpsmaoj46my.jpg

This is where I went a bit leftfield. Had a few bits of ebony left over from cutting the fretborads, so I made a laminate to go in the scarf joint. Looks more like rosewood in this pic...

WP_20160601_12_37_15_Pro_zps07wztn7t.jpg

So here's where we are now. One bent stick with a massive paddle

WP_20160601_17_10_46_Pro_zps4zbbcvmq.jpg

Looks great!! In my experience with doing laminated scarf joints, you may want the laminate on the back side of the neck to be moved down just a hair. On my first attempt at this I had it almost the same as you and would have had a void where the laminate met the back of the headstock. May just be the way the picture was taken tho. 

Didn't take too many pics over the last couple of days.  I know, slacking.

I started on the fretboard. I love the figure in this Macassar Ebony. I'm blessed to have gotten 6 boards and a few useable offcuts from the billet that I had.  I wasn't prepared by how much it wants to chip out though. I'm quite lucky that the boards are wide enough to give margins. On the acoustics I've built I've tended to score fret positions with a chunky violin knife, go in with a thin Japanese saw and then widen with my fret saw. I got about halfway though this board before finding that my fret saw had gotten about as blunt as a sponge - caused a lot of jumping around at the higher frets, but nothing that wont be hidden when fretted.

WP_20160602_17_08_51_Pro_zpsc87gedm6.jpg

Gluing bindings. I'm nowhere near confident enough with fretting yet to let the tangs hang out. Bindings are much blacker, but I quite like the effect.

WP_20160603_09_49_49_Pro_zps3gihyoxt.jpg

Radiused back to 16 inches and roughly levelled

WP_20160603_11_16_47_Pro_zpsft6p2wr8.jpg

2 mm carbon rods and a truss rod installed and board on. Sides scraped flush and headstock roughly shaped. I'm thinking of leaving this without truss rod cover. On the whole I'm quite happy with how things are going on this.

WP_20160603_18_46_04_Pro_zpsinipzu4y.jpg

WP_20160603_18_46_54_Pro_zpsxmq3n8hk.jpg

WP_20160603_18_47_23_Pro_zpsjyhdf7yg.jpg

Thinking of finishes already. Theres a video on youtube that I love of a tele with a puple to light rose fade finish. I've got it in my head to finish this thing in light rose - ok pink. natural back or purple stained?

• Like 1

That is looking very impressive, Matt.  A scarfe sledge is on my list of rigs to build and this thread has reminded me to pop it a bit higher in the priorities...

In terms of your fret cutting, do you use any kind of mitre block or rig to keep your blade vertical?

Andy - I've discussed the idea of the scarfing sled with Carlos at Guitars and Woods. I've been designing a permanent jig which has repeatability and adjustability. Not sure if it is conducive to manufacturing as of yet, but it certainly can be made as a Roll Royce of homebuilt jigs.

The problem we're currently rattling out is whether the thickness of the acrylic is too much for cutting by laser reliably. It would be best cut by laser simple for marking out and achieving internal corners that rotary cutters can't match. Important for the sled stops. In fact, I think I just solved this problem....

I'll take this over to The Design Bar section in order to prevent this thread from being derailed.

• Like 1

thanks Pros.

Andy, I start the slots with the saw against a square cut offcut and then finish off by hand. Seems to work, but a mitre box is on the list. The ever growing list.

Bit of grunt work today.  levelling boards.

WP_20160604_11_35_06_Pro_zpsdyftxugy.jpg

Rough cut blank.

5683b1ae-0e1f-44c5-aeca-d3d871597118_zps

and then thought this was a good idea. fool.

WP_20160604_12_48_35_Pro_zpsmpcirmne.jpg

Had some fun with the neck though. Rough carve done. I'm going to walk away from this for  a bit an the dial it in later.

WP_20160605_18_11_13_Pro_zpsa7dlpeyw.jpg

Annoyingly Ive hit a couple of really dark lines in the maple under 1st fret. Really hoping I don't have to touch this area again.  The heal block takes care of a couple of offcuts that I didn't want to through out.

• Like 3

not going to be able to get much bench time in today, but there is time for a quick whittle.

I shaped off the heel a bit more. Treble side yet to do.

WP_20160606_08_08_34_Pro_zpszdvci7uo.jpg

Gawked at some flame a bit

WP_20160606_09_35_43_Pro_zpsqwh1ujnk.jpg

this is where I need someone to tell me to stop obsessing.  these chaps are bugging me for some reason. I'm guessing they will become a lot less obvious during finishing. The volute is lobsided as well, but then isn't everything on multiscale guitars.

WP_20160606_09_44_32_Pro_zpscanmh1jd.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/29/2016 at 3:13 PM, Prostheta said:

Laphroaig 10yo.....I'm an Ardbeg kinda guy myself :-)

Leffe Blonde is great. I love good Belgian ales. Not had any in a while since all the trouble with buying beer from within the EU and importing to Finland. Even though we're EU. :blink:

La Chouffe is a personal favourite of my wife and I, along with Duvel. The mindwiper.

You'd have loved my 30th bday party last month then. Had a full keg of easy-drinking Goose Island 312 for "the crowd" and a 1/6th keg (about 60 beers) of Le Chouffe in the "back room" for the VIPs hahahaha.

Chris

A keg, eh? Nice. I've noted a distinct difference between the small stubby bottles and the taller ones. I wonder how a keg would affect it....

And yes....I would have loved an invite to your birthday party even though you know I wouldn't have been able to make it. :party

Cheers gents!

Taking a week of sun in Crete and craving a warm beer at the moment. The more time away, the more fiddling jobs want to do on the neck. I'm also ashamed to say that I've already started thinking on the next one. I want to extend the stripes onto the back of the headstock so that's the first thing to ponder on I think.

What's the general opinion on open locking hipshot tuners? I think its a toss up between them or a set of sperzels. Not sure if I read the blurb right, but is the orientation changeable on sperzels?