Round 2 - another 7

Mallet is a great idea. 

Regarding the flap sander,Prostheta is correct (and wear a mask!) But, it's actually very controlable, and still slow for hogging off tons. It really only gets hairy up in the horns. 

I've got a hide hammer which does the job, though its starting to look like something the dog would fancy. I'll have to take a peek at flap sanders.

This is where I'm leaving this for the day.

WP_20160629_18_11_20_Pro_zpsjd6gqgxz.jpg

Definitely some unfinished business on the left and at the bottom. picked up a couple of odd parallel lines on the top horn too. odd.

Tomorrow I'm going to deal with the belly cut and carve around the backside neck and horns.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 103801061982 said:

I've got a hide hammer which does the job, though its starting to look like something the dog would fancy. I'll have to take a peek at flap sanders.

This is where I'm leaving this for the day.

WP_20160629_18_11_20_Pro_zpsjd6gqgxz.jpg

Definitely some unfinished business on the left and at the bottom. picked up a couple of odd parallel lines on the top horn too. odd.

Tomorrow I'm going to deal with the belly cut and carve around the backside neck and horns.

This is the kind of carve I always aspire to...and rarely get near.  Beautiful job.  

....and is that sunshine ???  If it is, give it my regards and ask it to pop in my way sometime...

loads of pictures, not much progress :D. Anyone would think I've been sat around drinking tea all day.......

Today I deepened the control cavity route and started messing around with the back. much work to be done there together with the heel. Not massively happy with the carve in a couple of places either so scrapers will be coming out.

I also glued the stick to the plank.... Which then of course meant that I had to mock up.

Its currently on a stand in the front room being stared at and scribbled on. I've found this the best way of sussing out what goes and what stays,

WP_20160630_16_05_08_Pro_zpsxoubdhww.jpg

WP_20160630_16_05_25_Pro_zpsgos1akyd.jpg

• Like 2

It's a good idea to step back and mentally absorb it. Glad you've got the calm to do this. The upper bout seems less "curvy" than the lower one, however that might be the light. If you haven't already seen this or checked it out, sight the body from the back, down the body towards the headstock. If what I think I see is a real thing, there may be some excessive asymmetry there.

That's what I'm going to take the scrapers too. I think a bit of it is the light - strangely the upper bout is actually a lot more bulbous than the bottom. The waist on the bass side also needs smoothing out and defining a bit more. I was working my way round from right to left side, but was starting to lose the plot a bit. Gotta walk away when the mists descend.

You know you are doing something right, when other people can look at it and hear it before it's finished and strung up. 
It sounds awesome. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I hope this thing turns out OK because I'm actually enjoying this build. The learning curve on the first was just too steep for it to be enjoyable, especially after the meal I made of getting the frets in. Doesn't mean that I don't feel like I'm running with a blindfold on though. case in point - theres an annoying small gap on the lower join of the neck join that was mysteriously absent during test fits but has cropped up from somewhere. Its not big enough to want to mess around filling and given the clamping pressure used/time spent ensuring the pocket was debris free  I know the joint is sound. Would be nice to know how it cropped up.

Build time today was mostly spent looking for the toggle switch's nut that I dropped yesterday. Turned out it was stuck to the underside of one of the pickups.....

At this point I'm wobbling on final finish. part of me wants to go back to staining this thing pink after thinking a blue jean type finish would be cool.

All understandable. These razor-sharp clean joints are a nice thing to work towards, however the main thing is that they're mechanically sound you know? A big case in point is @Chris G recent LP build. He had gaps that eventually needed a little filling, but the main thing is that the instrument was physically as it should be. The cosmetics come with refinement. In many cases, there are a lot of cheats to getting that gap closed, however with this one appearing rather than always being there....weird....the kind of thing that I can't sleep over unless I have the answer....

Just tell her you never had it in the first place. :D

Don't bother with sawdust and glue. It looks ugly. Check everything many many times for squareness, flatness and identify why a gap has developed. It's worth the time rather than cutting corners. You'd regret that. As would we!

From your comment on clamping pressure, I assume the neck is already glued?  

If it is glued, then in terms of the pink or blue options, are these planned to be stained or painted?  

If it's going to be a stained finish, I use Metolux 'Timbermate' Decorators Filler.  They do a light stainable and dark stainable version.  I generally use the dark stainable and mix a tiny drop of the stain into the filler, then fill.  It sands super easy and then, when the whole body is finish stained, it is usually pretty invisible.  Trouble with glue and sawdust is that it tends to darken the fill and then also rejects the stain.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy ill keep that in mind. Stained top. The crevasse is on the back of the neck join with the mahogany so not visible from the front, but a bit annoying none the less. The maple joined up ok I think.

well consider this well stewed on. I took the feeler guages to it this morning and its c. .1mm tall and only about 1mm deep. Think I may just try taking it back a bit as I've got a lot of meat to play with there.

What I'm taking from this is that its definitely good to walk away an think about things before stressing like an old woman.

Took c. 1mm off and all good around the joint barr the usual tidying up and what not. Numpty. Still wish I knew where the gap came from - taking this much off here is fine but elsewhere I guess would be much more of an issue.

WP_20160702_08_59_55_Pro_zpsd9kauc2b.jpg

• Like 2

Great that it's resolved. :) 

I think that some dints and gaps are done by relatives of gremlins - they arrive and infiltrate the work and play merry hell, usually at night when no-one's around, levering open joints and hitting smooth surfaces with any chisel or hammer lying around and then b****r off before daybreak to let you find them later that morning....

I'm sure of it...