LOL@Ed Roman!

You know that I was searching a Black Limba Body blank for quite some time. During that time I also contacted Ed Roman if he could sell me a blank. His response: "My black limba is a very SPECIAL and costly tonewood, that I cannot simply sell to other builders. Look somewhere else."

No I believe everything people told me about Ed's "special" attitude....:D

Real nice. I like the limba but I don't think it needs to be treated like it's sacred. I think someone mentioned his prices for limba were outrageous. Most places that I have seen it - it's actually very reasonably priced. Maybe he has a personal "thing" for black limba. Maybe he would like a Real-Doll made from it if you know what I mean?

I wouldn't buy a cup of dirt from ER.

Maybe ER is 'slow' or just a complete idiot, but his lameass t-shirts with the "Welcome To---Las Vegas" logo (worn by all his super-stoner staff at NAMM) are a major trademark violation. That sign/design is owned by the Las Vegas Board Of Tourism.

I smell attorney fees. :-)

Okay, since ed is in vegas. Where I live. I can tell you for a fact there are no hardwood lumber yards here.(insert ranting string of explitives here)

So the nearest place is in Pheonix or LA far as I can tell.

The place i go is www.WoodworkersSource.com. Ive gone in the store when visiting friends there.

Black Limba

If you notice they'll even s4s it for you.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

What an ass. I guess Korina is even specialer than whe he said it was $800 for a 8 ft board.

Contrary to what I have said previously, Ed Roman is a two faced ass. He will change what he thinks every time he sees it hurts his sales. Note, he reccomends some Ibanez models now, and promotes imported guitars. Mr. "If it aint USA made, its crap".

I agree that Ed can be hard to deal with, but then again I don't think it's wise to call anyone whose in the guitar building business and asking to buy wood to build guitars lol. It's kinda like me calling up Microsoft and asking, "hey let me buy some of your source code, I want to build my own Windows program" :D I don't think you meant it in a bad way, I just think that Ed is very competive or he wouldn't be bashing every guitar made, except the ones he sells or makes... lol So I think he told you that just to get you off his back...

GuitarFrenzy check your facts....Ed Roman explicitly sells tonewood to builders. The following is a quote from his website

In the past 14 years I have sold beautiful tone woods to many guitar manufacturers when they wanted something extremely nice for a special customer.

I specialize in many different rare specimens. The list below will give you an idea as to what I have in stock.  I generally have a selection of almost everything on the list.  I am always looking for new and strange examples of different species.

CU,

MK!

think that Ed is very competive or he wouldn't be bashing every guitar made

I am not sure about that one either. His guitars a certainly good, but I suspect they are in no way as good as he raves about them nor above his competition. If you read the reviews of his Quiksilver and Pearlcaster guitars on Harmony Central you'll see that most buyers were not very happy with them. One of them even prefers his Fender Strat over the Pearlcaster which was custom made for him.

Although Ed changes his opinion quite often as others already pointed out. A year ago he told how bad Ibanez is, this year he writes opsitive reviews about the same guitar, because he realizes he could make money with them.

ER only changed his "views" on Ibanez guitars after he snaked his way into becoming a dealer for them with his Las Vegas store, by going in the back-door via Chesbro (the west coast distribuitor for Ibanez gear). Believe me that Ibanez is none-too-happy about him being a dealer again after he was yanked off their list years ago for being, and acting like, a complete tool.

For the new guys:

AVOID ED ROMAN. There are dozens of other *reputable* dealers out there, whether it be for guitars, parts, or source wood. You'll be glad you went elsewhere.

It's ok to laugh AT him, and crack leprechaun jokes, just don't buy anything from him. It's a guaranteed regret.

GuitarFrenzy check your facts....Ed Roman explicitly sells tonewood to builders. The following is a quote from his website

In the past 14 years I have sold beautiful tone woods to many guitar manufacturers when they wanted something extremely nice for a special customer.

I specialize in many different rare specimens. The list below will give you an idea as to what I have in stock.  I generally have a selection of almost everything on the list.  I am always looking for new and strange examples of different species.

CU,

MK!

just cause ED says it, it must be true then right??

:D

What an ass. I guess Korina is even specialer than whe he said it was $800 for a 8 ft board.

Contrary to what I have said previously, Ed Roman is a two faced ass. He will change what he thinks every time he sees it hurts his sales. Note, he reccomends some Ibanez models now, and promotes imported guitars. Mr. "If it aint USA made, its crap".

hey Jeff, I thought he was your friend?

think that Ed is very competive or he wouldn't be bashing every guitar made

I am not sure about that one either. His guitars a certainly good, but I suspect they are in no way as good as he raves about them nor above his competition. If you read the reviews of his Quiksilver and Pearlcaster guitars on Harmony Central you'll see that most buyers were not very happy with them. One of them even prefers his Fender Strat over the Pearlcaster which was custom made for him.

Although Ed changes his opinion quite often as others already pointed out. A year ago he told how bad Ibanez is, this year he writes opsitive reviews about the same guitar, because he realizes he could make money with them.

Isn't that what I just said.. just because your competitive doesn't mean your good. In other words, he basically says that everything he handles is great and everything else is junk. I stand corrected on the issue about the wood, but he shouldn't be saying stuff like that without selling it to you, that was wrong on his part. If he's gonna sell to guitar builders, then maybe he just didn't want to get rid of that particular wood because he didn't have much left, who knows with Ed. I'm not defending Ed.. he has a interesting web site that gets you to thinking, but then again it's all very opinionated. He can't deny that even though he may bash PRS, his guitars aren't much variation from them.. so.. lol

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

hey Jeff, I thought he was your friend?

Yeah, well screw him. After he email me and contradicted himself concerning PRS, I decided that he is indeed the ass he is reputed as. He was not nice in what he said, told me I was harsh and should check my facts. If I need to check my facts, he does even more. I quoted his website verbatim!

I know what you guys mean, I really want to email him about the hamer prototype he has there for sale. to ask what the price is on it etc, but i dont want to deal with him at all, he has less then faveorable reviews plus he was rude to me in an email he sent to me regarding ibanez parts. so if anyone knows anyone whos selling a hamer prototype then pm me ^^ lol. rob

If anyone is interested, I am in the process of buying a fairly large amount of Korina(White Limba)......I haven't finalized the deal yet.....but I will assure you this stuff doesn't sell for anything near what Ed R is asking for it.....As for Gilmer.....$200 for a 8/4 chunk of Korina 14.5 x 20.5 is still pretty steep(although a 1 piece body blank is a rare commodity and will fetch a premium price. I'll let everyone know if I aquire this wood....It may happen this week.....If it does happen, I can pass the savings on to interested PG'ers.....E-mail me if you may be interested.

Greg

I recieved a lot of e-mail responses concerning the Limba. For some reason I can't open some of the mail.....so here is the situation....

The Limba I'm looking at is from Holden's. It is just one possibility. A friend of mine owns an architectual lumber company and loves guitars....(I just finished a very cool Oak Burl and turquoise inlay Tele for him).......We are trying to find a wholesale source for Limba and Alder for body blanks. We are scouting the supply that Holden has this week.....Worm hole concerns are at the top of the list....I've been informed this AM that it is wormy. I'll keep everyone here up to date on what I find.

We are also trying to find a direct supplier in Africa......We have a supplier to get us sawmill direct from Mexico and S. America....affectionately known as the "Habanero Express"! We have been getting some nice Brazilian Lacewood and Raintree.

As for prices on Limba....who knows! Right now we have to secure the source...I do know that much of the Limba I see online is outrageously priced. Just to give you an idea of prices from "my" lumber yard, Companies such as Gilmer are asking $50-65 for Honduras Mahogany body blank is usually @$25 .....depending on market.

What widths is everyone interested in? I like 1 piece bodies.....but others might like 2 or 3 piece bodies.

krazydereck......for some reason I can't reply directly to you.

Cheers,

Greg Savage.....aka....tdog