Knightro Guitars 2017

11 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

Like this pan kara? Sorry it's the best pic I've got of it, you might have to zoom in. 

IMG_0939.JPG

Yes, pretty much like this. I'm using threaded inserts as opposed to these t-nuts (is that what they're called?), but otherwise this is what I meant. So it works ok?

I saw demonx do this in the past, initially I was thinking to do what he's doing which is having the screw access under the pickup, but I've been looking at my thicknesses and in my design I have 45mm body and the neck pocket at 29mm (the neck heel is 30mm thick). I started out with 20mm pickup cavities but I figure they don't deed to be that deep (except maybe the "ears"). If they're at ~18mm then I'd have 11mm of tenon thickness in the pickup cavity. My threaded inserts are 12mm long so I'm pretty much there and I could have the screws go in from the back.

neck_joint.png

On the other hand, given the neck (and heel) taper, one would need to anyway remove the neck pickup to take the neck out I guess...   

on a 38mm body this is a different story :) .. I've been playing it safe and staying with the usual 45mm mostly so far, but I have two body blanks which after I plane away some warping will get me somewhere in the 30-35mm range, so unless I go for a thick carved top (which I might), these will force me to explore the thin-body territory

Yep it should be fine doing it that way with thick bodies, my bodies are usually around 1.25" thick (31-32mm) and it does get a bit complicated when you get that thin. The only way I could make this work was to either take the heel of the neck really thin in that area which I didn't want to do, so I ended up at 3/8" thick. Or the other option was to modify the pickup, so all the pickups I put in these models will get the base plate swapped out for a flat plate instead of the dog ear type. 

While it is all figured out now and I know what needs to be done on the next ones I do it was a real pain to figure it all out. 

And yeah they are called t-nuts. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Scott! I'll have to find some good sculpture pics.... I did a gorilla skull that turned out nicely last year. I also did a plaster replica of my own head, it currently holds my bike helmet when I'm not using it.

Since it's Tele Tuesday, I went ahead and celebrated by finishing off the CFF guitar's evil twin.

IMG_20170307_174630_zpsiem7pqr2.jpg
IMG_20170307_174644_zpsoqufmesq.jpg
IMG_20170307_174702_zps8kz55itx.jpg
IMG_20170307_174721_zps2swoifo8.jpg

• Like 2

Man, I love these multiscale tele's. The bridge - I only just notice that that's the baseplate+wilkinson-like saddles variety. If I end up doing more multiscales in the future I'd prefer this type of bridge over the single saddle ones.

Did you fabricate the baseplate yourself? 

2 hours ago, pan_kara said:

Man, I love these multiscale tele's. The bridge - I only just notice that that's the baseplate+wilkinson-like saddles variety. If I end up doing more multiscales in the future I'd prefer this type of bridge over the single saddle ones.

Please do tell why.  I was hoping to use single saddles on my next multiscale build....

1 hour ago, Jdogg said:

Please do tell why.  I was hoping to use single saddles on my next multiscale build....

just price.

a set of graphtech saddles is ~70 EUR

the hipshot solo bridges are hard to find here and appear to be 30 EUR a piece (so 180 EUR for a 6-string setup)

that leaves the ABM that I'm using at the moment are ~18 EUR per piece so again, 110 for a setup

(maybe there is something cheaper that I'm not aware of)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 9:20 AM, pan_kara said:

Thank you! I designed the bridges, @2.5itim did the actual milling, then I had them chromed locally. Everything worked out pretty well, no problems so far. Hopefully, the owner won't have any issues.

---

Now that the rush to build the Pioneer twins is over (and I've fixed various equipment issues), I'm introducing a new pair of Voyagers. One will be a solid maple 6 string. Sounds lame, I know, but I've got a really fun plan for it....more news as it develops.

The other is a 7 string in sapele with a maple top. 

IMG_20170314_172758_zps5omcviw2.jpg
IMG_20170314_172747_zpsh2i5ssza.jpg
IMG_20170316_141520_zpsohehays1.jpg
IMG_20170317_151650_zpsmf7oafr8.jpg
IMG_20170317_153329_zpsjk6yawwr.jpg
IMG_20170317_153337_zpsvb83yvpe.jpg

I've already got a neck nearly ready for the 7, it just needs a bit of sanding and a headstock logo before finish. It's nothing fancy, just maple with a rosewood fretboard. 

My goal is to have the simple 7 done within the next 3 weeks, then I can move on to my biggest, most ridiculous design yet. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

Thanks CJ! That is my chambering template, but I didn't use it on this build.

Simple 7- now with binding!

IMG_20170321_121600_zpsc48msgil.jpg

IMG_20170321_153542_zps60ffife3.jpg

Problem: bound edges aren't terribly comfortable on the forearm. 

Solution: carve the hell out of it!

IMG_20170321_154317_zpswjso4wna.jpg
IMG_20170321_161357_zpslhaqtcyy.jpg

I'm going to take this to the shop on campus tomorrow and slap it around with a DA sander, more pics then. 

• Like 3

LOL I literally just had an idea today of doing exactly this on some future build - solving the problem of bound body with a thin top being uncomfortable on the forearm by carving through the binding and just having it disappear for that section of the outline.

I thought I was being original, but now it I ever do it, it will be another thing to put on my list "and now I'll do what I saw Knightro do in the past" . oh well

:D

• Like 2