Singing and playing

pour bleeding me

hi ive been trying to learn how to sing and play guitar at the same time because i would love to be the singer of my band...and im kinda getting it but sometimes either the guitar gets thrown off or my voice does...any tips for doing this or excersises or practices? any advise is needed...thanks

when i started doing backing in my band, it just sort of came, but thats just backing. I can do it a bit, but i think the key is automated playing e.g you just know what to play automaticly with out thinking twice. Of course this varys with your style of play, but for just power chords then you will be fine.

• 1 year later...

well, i just LOVE doing that...

i mean, im not really a that great player nor a great singer, thoug i have ear so i sing the right notes.

really, the thing is practice... you have to be able to play your song and talk to your friend at the same time AND to be able to sing it while thinking about other stuff...

gotta be natural :D

try playing bass and singing. one of the hardest things ive ever tried :D

hehe i've actually been able to play californication while singing... man that's hard

B)

if anyone is still interested in tips do songs that either

1. the timing of strumming is the same timing as the words (you hit a strum everytime you say a word)

2. the notes of the song are the same as the notes of the vocals

a gfew good songs to practice:

aerials by system of a down

pride by seether

love her by seether (chorus mainly)

try that then get into songs that have a steady strum pattern (like this:

3--2--3

3--2--3

1--0--1

1&2& 3

then once u get the hanjg of that start doing every song you can paly and sing, then do it together.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

Tie a cymbal onto each knee and concentrate on the timing. :D Singing and playing comes and goes. Sometimes you think you have a song down and then after a while you realize that its not quite right. So you really have to put everything under a magnifying glass. If you can play the song on the guitar with your eyes closed, and can play it effortlessly every time, then the singing part comes easier. That is the key. The more concentration you need to play the song, the less concentration is available for singing the song. Start out slow with just the basic chords while singing then as you feel more comfortable with it try to work in the guitar fills between the chords.

The key is to learn the guitar, bass, keys, whatever part cold. I mean you could play it in your sleep. Then learn the vocal part. Lyrics, melody, phrasing, everything. Memorize it. You'll know when you have it. Then slowly add the vocal to the instrumental. Practice. Practice some more.

It's not as hard as it sounds. Hell, if I can do it, so can you.