Hand Planes

bassplr19

Best Place to get quality planes, go?

I busted out my plane that I bought in high school and never (didn't know how) used it. Well my project (see Walnut Strat) guitar was sitting there with a rounded neck heel and now it's flat. Since then I've been watching a ton of youtube woodworking videos (with only a couple luthier ones mixed in) and I want to do a little more manual work.

In addition, how come there aren't any radius planes? Well, there are, but not for 7.25-16" radii?

Happiness is a freshly sharpened handplane :)

8 hours ago, bassplr19 said:

In addition, how come there aren't any radius planes? Well, there are, but not for 7.25-16" radii?

'Cause they'd be a ridiculously expensive, low quantity item that pandered to a completely niche market, and they'd be a right bugger to sharpen and keep the exact radius on the blade :D

A radius sanding block and a bit of sandpaper would achieve the same result without anywhere near the headaches involved with maintenance.

I got my no. 5 jack plane from eBay. It's an old Stanley one, made back when the blades were made of decent quality metal. Somebody had reconditioned it, which made it unattractive to the collectors market, but was ideal for me - who actually wanted to use it as a plane rather than sit it on a shelf to gaze at :). My no. 3 smoothing plane was inherited from my uncle

I'd say to avoid cheap new planes - they are a false economy. However the decent quality tools (Lie-Nielsen, etc.) soon ramp up in price

5 hours ago, ScottR said:

https://www.fine-tools.com/G301211.html

I need to find one of those for my plane....

Now, that's pretty nifty. I wonder how well it works in practice? Although it looks like it's primarily intended for traditional wooden-bodied high angle planes, so I guess I won't be fitting one any time soon to my Stanley 5 1/2 :(

I first heard about this in a thread here.....that I cannot find any more. I thought it was our friend in Wales. Anyway he and @Prostheta talked like it worked a treat. I had just finished up a project with mine and fought tearout and thought I need to get me one of those.

A google search for low angle toothed plane blades brought up some from Lie-Nielsen. I just didn't change my link out.

SR

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Wow a hand plane thread that isn’t ancient.  I love hand planes.  My prize possession of my planes is my Bailey No 6 which I restored about 16 years ago. I use it to fine tune boards after going through my jointer.  It isn’t truly necessary and I have the jointer fairly dialed in, but who doesn’t like making 3’ long wood ribbons that are see through?  I wish I could get my small planes as sharp as the No6.  Their irons are inferior steel and you can actually feel the difference by touch of the irons themselves.  

I know, right? I spent some time chilling out with my hand tools whilst I made my router table. A freshly and cleanly planed surface glows. That and there's a lot of pleasure of course! I'm thinking of getting a block plane like a Veritas Standard or even an NX or DX. That being said, I feel the need for a shoulder plane or a rabbet plane since block planes just don't get into corners, and I make a hell of a lot of those.

That Bailey sounds nice. Keeping these old girls running is more than worthwhile.