Pics of my new bass

This is one I built.

I wanted the headstock shape to be unique to me, but I also wanted it to be heavy, to counter-weight the body. Plus, I wanted it to have a lot of mass, so that it would help sustain.

I didn't want a 4 to the side config, so I bought a 4 to the side and a 2 to the side set, then made 2 3+1 sets.

The thing sounds amazing. I wound the pickups to about 8.9k, which is a little weak, but I have a 4X10 cabinet, and can more than make up for volume that way. Plus, the notes ring out like a bell. I can play a full 4 note chord, and there is no loss of definition. My friend Nathan has played it, and he agreed on the sound. It almost sounds like piano strings, they way they ring.

Oh, I almost forgot the specs. :D

It is 34" scale lenght. THe neck through core is braz. cherry, walnut, maple, walnut, braz. cherry.

The body wings are figured bubinga, maple, and figured bubinga.

Fingerboard is Wenge, headstock plate is figured bubinga.

Frets are Stew-Mac jumbo.

Pickups I wound myself.

Bridge is a Leo Quahn BadAss, tuners are Gotoh.

Finish is 6 coats of Danish oil, of which the last 2 are wet sanded with 600 grit and Danish oil. Then, a coat of paste wax.

The S inlay for my name, Swaim, I cut out of abalone and inlayed with epoxy. Nut is bone. There is a thin strip of ebony between the nut and headstock. I wanted to get ebony on there somewhere, but I only had some small pieces of ebony, so I made the slot for the nut wider, then used a thin strip of ebony to fill the space. I thought about using ebony for a binding around the headstock, but I didn't have enough for that, either.

The shape I drew from a Ibanez Roadstar bass, then started cutting way until I found the shape I liked.

sounds awesome. by 8.9k you mean 8,900 winds?

In most cases that is above standard? But you say its weak?...thanks!

We're winding our pickups to 8,200 but we're still in experimental stages.

Did you use the Stew Mac coil wire?

I checked out your website...you do quality work, good job man.

Thanks. The pickups were wound to 8.9k Ohms, which for me was, if I remember right, 4500-4700 turns per pickup.

I used wire from Essex, but I just bought wire from Wirenetics. The bobbins are forbon, with A5 rod magnets, and 42 gauge SPN wire.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

• 1 year later...

Awesome bass...pickguard is sweet..very original...great wood choices...i'm glad to see that more ppl are experimenting with different woods and letting the color of the different woods be on display...i'm not too into paint.....keep up the good work

My cousin lives in heyworth...that's crazy...lol

Edited by PLUCKyou

look at the dates, you just bumped a post that is more than a year old.

it was the last post and I was bored so I bumped it up