say you picked up 1.125" quilt... what do build?

so... my fav spot shot me a heads up the other day that they got some unusually thick quilt... and very nice looking - almost white.  Couldn't resist as the price was little more than I've paid for drop tops.  Heads up if anyone is looking but afa I know they only had a few around... supposed to be getting more soon tho.  

It would kind of be wasted on a les paul as they only require 5/8" and I've always secretly thought that quilt just doesn't look "right" on them.  A prs would be good... but with the faux binding... this would be a VERY deep carve! 

Was thinking it might be cool to do an sg with a carved top but also the beveled edges... sort of a diablo style. 

Perhaps it'd be better used on a bass?  Just dreaming and wondering what you guys might think.

I can't think of any production guitars that have a 1+" carved top... can you?

DSCN2345b.thumb.jpg.3e6b13de453077f676969da71fa487e6.jpg

19 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I would be upset if you didn't build a carve top instrument with that. 

If it was me, I would saw a 5mm slither of the back of both pieces and make matching headstock plates, control cavities etc. Lot of work but would be totally worth it.

solid advice.  Yes, def got it to do a carve top for sure.  I suspect I might be able to do headplate and control plates with leftovers after cutting a body... as I could take the to side pieces, join them, then shave off a few 1/4" slices... but will keep what you mentioned in mind.  Would almost make sense to cut it into two 1/2" tops... but I dunno... don't see a quilt this nice this thick often so would like to do something really special with it.  thanks for the ideas!

1.125" is quite thick... I would combine the ideas of ADFinlayson and curtisa and saw quarter inch slithers off each for drop or flat tops leaving thick enough bookmatched slabs for a carved top with sumptuous curves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

1.125" is quite thick... I would combine the ideas of ADFinlayson and curtisa and saw quarter inch slithers off each for drop or flat tops leaving thick enough bookmatched slabs for a carved top with sumptuous curves.

yeah I'm getting the impression everything above 3/4" would kind of be wasted.  also... using all of the top would result in a pretty heavy guitar.  thanks for the thoughts!

That is pretty much exactly the thickness I look for. I love deep carves.....but not so much production guitars. This is begging for a custom design. And once you get it good and flat and the chips sanded out you are going to be down to and inch or less in thickness. And there is no reason that it has to be a heavy guitar. A heavily carved top and back will remove a surprising amount of weight, and add a couple of judiciously placed chambers if you want it even lighter.

That thing is making me drool....I gotta go wipe down my keyboard.

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

That is pretty much exactly the thickness I look for. I love deep carves.....but not so much production guitars. This is begging for a custom design. And once you get it good and flat and the chips sanded out you are going to be down to and inch or less in thickness. And there is no reason that it has to be a heavy guitar. A heavily carved top and back will remove a surprising amount of weight, and add a couple of judiciously placed chambers if you want it even lighter.

That thing is making me drool....I gotta go wipe down my keyboard.

SR

thank you scott!  there are def some deep artifacts in the best side so u r correct afa probably in the 1" territory after planing.  I sort of feel like it would sort of be a shame not to use it's full girth as I don't suppose I'll come across quilt this thick and nice again... or at least anytime soon.  I like your answer!

On 4/28/2019 at 12:37 AM, curtisa said:

I'd be ripping it down the middle again and doubling the number of tops for the money :thumb:

I'm sorry @Curtisa - I missed your post (forrest/trees).  No disrespect meant.  I could probably get 3 1/4+ tops out of this... but given my resaw skills I'd probably come away with 2 triangular shaped tops! 😨  Also, I have 3 or 4 quilts that are 1/4" so I'll probably try to do a carve but I very much appreciate the suggestion!

@ADFinlayson wish I could help you get some but I would guestimate shipping would be in the 'not worth it' realm.  Also how come you guys all speak english wrong (jk, I love the uk accent I just think it's funny when americans think english is their language and everyone else speaks it wrong)

Someone reached out to me and asked me who was my source for this top, I didn't mean to not post it! Not top secret or anyting... On Etsy look for down-home Woods in case you're looking for something similar.

2 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

It was me, it's no secret! :P 

hehe, I wasn't going to name names!  😁 

I figure the least I owe this place is passing on tips when I find something good so... I hope I don't annoy folks by trying to pay that debt back constantly!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some Bosnian quilted maple for carved tops, SCORE! One of them came with a big old crack but a replacement is getting sent. 2 of them are even long enough to make quilted fretboard binding :D

pGet5-WfqrQrdvjjUPtQEMn1UNQUhZLPgGF4srb_

2LRWvC1PQoQ7zKRNtTK5Ry-pJuhMgJt-fncNVOHv

This one came as a 2" billet and I'll have to bookmatch it myself but I care not because it was thrown in as a freebie 

qlnM16DqiKPqvHGYiEE29uRoTfiv5q-4pq6oAT24

noice.  that third one there is soowheat. 

I just got an email from downhomewoods that they got a bunch more carved tops in.  Some pretty sweet looking stuff too.  Honestly I need to stop collecting wood until my building catches up with my wood pile... but I gotta admit I was kinda thinking about it anyway!  currently I have two carve tops, 4 - 6 quilt tops, figured mahog, figured walnut, birdseye, figured redwood... and then a whole pile of flamed maple that's all 3/4 and some of it is wide enough to be resawn for tops, plus a couple 8' lengths of 8/4 flamed maple for solid body.  must... resist... urge... to... buy.... more... wood!

you never know when those sources will dry up tho!

@ADFinlayson Holy Mo... whoever that guy was!  Those pieces look like they've got warts and blisters all over, yet I know they're flat!

@mistermikev Take every nice piece you can afford! Some day your widow will thank you, selling your stock to a big name custom shop agent. At least that's what I read in the Fender Frontline magazines back in the mid-nineties. Back then their Custom Shop luthiers used to "salvage" the backyard stocks of late carpenters in the driest parts of USA. Just tell your better half not to sell them cheap!

Edited by Bizman62

3 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

hehe... if I told her now it might as well be in my will!

Oh you 'Muricans with guns all over the place, making an  accidental "I was just cleaning it when it just made a huge bang" so easy...

Then again, can't remember if it was Hammett or Chandler who had a story about a heat wave back in the days of refrigerators working with ice, an ice pick was mentioned to be the favourite weapon of the wife. Punch it into the ear and wipe the excess off and "he just sorta paralyzed and then fell down".