Campfire Songs

GEdwardJones

It happens to everyone sooner or later.

Someone in a group of friends: Hey, you play guitar?

You: Yeah

Them: Here's my acoustic, play something for us.

You: I'm not really an acoustic player. I don't really know any sing-along type songs

Them: Awwwww, you're just shy.

You: A little, but seriously, the last song I learned to play was off the new Ministry album

Them: Come on

You fiddle around, jamming on bits and pieces of various King's X songs for 5-10 minutes.

Someone in the Crowd: "Play Me and Julio down by the Schoolyard"

You: Someone kill me.

What are your best emergency acoustic numbes. I have a couple of King's X tunes that are good for me (Summerland, Over My Head, Goldilox and Pleadies, plus Doug Pinnick and I have a similar vocal range, which is good) that's about it. Anything easily learned and strummable is good for me.

cumbaya my lord...cum..BA...YAAAAHHHH :D

lol, juuuuuuuuust kidding. I spent many an hour around the fire with many an old acoustic guitar. People get drunk and start yelling into my ear while I'm playing. "Hey man! Do ya know any NEIL YOUNG!!??" So I start into The Needle and the Damage Done or something like that and some guy, who thinks hes Neil chimes in with his falsetto voice. Fine, doesn't bother me, my voice is crap anyway.

Songs, songs, songs

Ballads like American Pie by Don McLean are good. Everyone joins in at the chorus because its the only words they know in the song.

A few others.

Tangled Up In Blue by Bob Dylan

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

End of the Line - Travelling Wilburys

Time of Your Life - Greenday

The list goes on. If you want to impress the girls (and sleep with them....maybe, B) ) you could try songs like Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues

i normally just play my own stuff on my acoustic so its a little hard when someone asks me to play stuff lol. my fal backs are to just play some blues rock variation using 7th bar chords and pentatonic progresions

oh and i can play Time of your Life by green day, its a pretty simple song to play and everybody knows it so its a good one lol

one time i was over at some dudes house that plays the bass.he had this old crap guitar with only 4 strings on a floating trem...

he and his buds kept saying...play something...i refused...said i needed all the strings.they thought i was a snob by the looks on their faces.

i showed back up at 7 am the next day with my half stack and my guitars ,woke him up,and showed him exactly why i needed all 6 strings.

i HATE it when people ask me to play some piece of junk.

and i am the same about acoustics...don't much like em

Campfire winners?

Surf, blues, and '70's hits man.

Bo Diddley.

John Lee Hooker.

George Thorogood (see John Lee Hooker)

Walk, Don't Run

Tequila

Wipeout

Secret Agent Man

James Bond Theme

AC/DC riffs work too, most people are familiar with them, and you can really bang those bar chords out on an acoustic.

Finish up by quickly tuning it to an open tuning, E or A, maybe G, do some easy greasy slide licks, then hand it back to them like that when your done...hehehe... :D

Finish up by quickly tuning it to an open tuning, E or A, maybe G, do some easy greasy slide licks, then hand it back to them like that when your done...hehehe... :D

Maybe if one of the other guys on the porch wasn't a professional blues man of some notoriety in the tri-state area.

Which is what happened to me...

It just so happens that said blues man is one of my wife's friends' uncle (and let me tell you that family is one of the most interesting ones I've ever met.)

one time i was over at some dudes house that plays the bass.he had this old crap guitar with only 4 strings on a floating trem...

he and his buds kept saying...play something...i refused...said i needed all the strings.they thought i was a snob by the looks on their faces.

i showed back up at 7 am the next day with my half stack and my guitars ,woke him up,and showed him exactly why i needed all 6 strings.

i HATE it when people ask me to play some piece of junk.

and i am the same about acoustics...don't much like em

been there done that lol

a friend of mine wanted me to teach him some guitar licks, so at 10 in the morning (guven this is duringschool hols so we both normally got up at lunch) i went to his house with my guitar, went to his bedroom, hooked up and everything while he was still sleeping. and then promptlly blasted out some deftones goodness. he loved me for that lol

Off the top of my head, these are the songs I play a lot as encores to my gigs...

Summer of 69

April Come She Will

Cats In The Cradle

The Free Electric Band

Medley of Born To Be Wild and A Horse With No Name (E-Minor :D )

Father and Son

Wonderwall

Wanted Dead Or Alive

A Little Less Conversation (in a special transposed version that's got a little Hendrix sound and is great fun to play)

Fields Of Gold

The Three Great 90s Acoustic Rock Ballads, epitomy of what pop songs were supposed to sound like in those days:

To Be With You

More Than Words

Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Now and Forever

Right Here Waiting

seems like I need some more uptempo songs in my unplugged repertoire, huh?

so long

ace

My personal favorite is when everyone finally goes to bed, break out the acoustic and start playing the duelling banjo's thing from the movie Deliverance  It's funny as crap for the people that get it

:DB) haha my idea too! someone says "hey? you can play guitar? here play me somethin" i usually go with that. everyone always gets at least a chuckle out of it. when im done that, if they still nag me to play, ill go with "last kiss" by pearl jam. girls love it, guys usually get me to stop playing. therefore i dont have to play any more, and i get to talk to all the girls =D. but if the guys are too drunk or gay to make me stop, ill stick it out with time of your life, paint it black (acoustic has a pretty cool sound.. at least my acoustic) scar tissue, almost anything from great big sea, and classical gas always means im done. if im ever out playin and i get so far as to play classical gas, i demand a free drink from anyone whos pushin.

"ok, i have one song in my head left thats better than the rest of these songs put together, but im going to have to charge you a drink to play it" :D

"what? no, fine stop playing"

{plays the first little bit}

"hey why did you stop?"

"gunna pay up?" :D

"yea, here"

B):D

{plays classical gas}

classical gas. i love it to death!

Southern rock is a good acoustic standby i.e. Sweet Melissa by Allman Bros. or Freebird. I perfer to throw out Dee by Randy Rhoads or comp some "rhythm changes" (for those who aren't jazz heads its the chord progression ito I got rhythm ---eveb if i dont know hot to spell it----a whole genre was created from those changes). It throws people off. They usually expect dust in the wind or yesterday