The Trajic Love Life of Wally the Walnut Gnome....or Wally really needs a girlfriend.

ScottR

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

In spite of (if I recall) Scott being in the field where things are drawn out, he rarely seems to do so. If ever. What I do know, is that Scott likely started with a piece of wood and started taking bits off, subsequently he ends up discovering a guitar, a gnome or a beer inside. Fortune cookie on a different magnitude?

Well, I've tried that technique in the past, and I haven't found a guitar, a gnome, a beer or diddly squat in the wood...

657993185_Scrapwood.jpg.1525967818d27f5505f394da3a18f51e.jpg 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Because the wood has splits and fissures anyway, presumably the join at the foot will be pretty much invisible @ScottR ?

I like the carve at the top of the boots.  Again, because they are such a deep projections from the leg, you really have to know you are going to be doing this way before the chisel gets anywhere near the wood.

Do you have detailed drawings from multiple angles or are you doing it (forgive the pun) on the hoof?

Remarkable to see the process in this level of detail. 

Yes, this was always going to have a bunch of filled cracks. This particular one will probably be less noticeable since it is glued and clamped instead of just filled.

And yes you do have to know where you are going and plan for those features that will be closest to the original surface of the wood. And yes for carvings I do drawings or find models or both. Usually the drawings are rough sketches sometimes little more than scribbles. I do new sketches for particular views or aspects of the carvings, next up will likely be a sketch or two of elbows and forearms.. I have an old pair of cowboy boots in the garage for a model....more normally proportioned though. The bear in my avatar was modeled after a very nicely detailed soap dispenser, maybe 6" tall. Ol' bear is closer to two feet tall....sitting down as it were. I do still leave room for the wood to speak. Annie was always going to be standing hipshot, but she gave the pose a lot more attitude than I originally planned.

SR

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

In spite of (if I recall) Scott being in the field where things are drawn out, he rarely seems to do so. If ever. What I do know, is that Scott likely started with a piece of wood and started taking bits off, subsequently he ends up discovering a guitar, a gnome or a beer inside. Fortune cookie on a different magnitude?

See my response to Andy.

I do even start with a sketch or a scribble for new guitar body shapes, believe it or not.

Nobody would ever confuse them for an engineering plan though.<_<

SR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I'll try that excuse by Nina and see how far it gets me. Likely, one knee up and two metres down.

Probably should come up more subtle phraseology with the wife. I don't recommend pick her up that way and repositioning her to get a better angle to carve her feet either.:blink:

Oaken prairie gnomes are a bit tougher skinned than wives.

SR

43 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Crikey, this is getting dark. Nina's off to the hospital to have one of her feet fixed up, so I hope the hospital have a better clamping system than yours.

I hope she doesn't have radial cracks most of the way through them.

Damn it is getting dark.

45 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

That's always a harsh procedure. Nina tells me it's like a sandwich toaster.

My wife says pretty much the same thing.

Women are way tougher than men......

SR

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Are you talking about the direction of this thread or the lighting of your whereabouts?

The thread could be peeking into dark corners.....if we weren't being so light hearted about it all.:D

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

All of it! I'm concerned that we might be giving Annie bad ideas.

I don't know that she's feeling much beyond her foot, but Wally now, Wally is listening with enthusiasm.

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

The thread could be peeking into dark corners.....if we weren't being so light hearted about it all.:D

I don't know that she's feeling much beyond her foot, but Wally now, Wally is listening with enthusiasm.

SR

It's all fun and games until somebody loses a foot.