Router bit suggestions

strummer2k

I am starting a tele project for my first attempt (the body only). I have the wood on the way and am working on the body template right now. I don't have any router bits yet, so at a minimum, what would I need to do the body. I have a 2hp router (plunge and fixed base) that will take 1/2 or 1/4 bits. I would like suggestions for sizes and types of bits.

I do plan on binding the body (it will have a flat quilt top, not carved).

Also, my plan is to bandsaw the body fairly close and then use the template and router to clean it up as alot of people have suggested(going very slowly of course). I remember someone saying the upcut spiral cutters at Woodcraft might do a great job here, but there are several 1/2 versions and am not sure what to get. I am guessing I need one longer than 1 3/4??

And, is Woodcraft a better place than StewMac to get this stuff?

Thanks, for the help.

sort of on topic: is there any reason i can't use a 1/4'' (rabbeting?) bit from ACE? it looks like it would cut the right channel. (it makesd a 90degree cut into the edge)

try and go 1/2" shanks whenever/ as much as possible, i've heard great things about the spiral bits, a luthier here swears by them which is why i included them in my tutorial, but i have yet to try one.

This is what I would use if I had to shape a body with figured maple and wanted to avoid tear out as much as possible. I've used a normal pattern router bit with flamed maple with very little trouble but if you're really concerned, one of these would do the trick for sure. It would just take a bit longer but since you're building a guitar - you must have lots of patience anyway, right?

It would just take a bit longer but since you're building a guitar - you must have lots of patience anyway, right?

LOL - well, yes. I started out doing refins with nitro and made every mistake possible. But, I did learn the value of just taking your time and kinda enjoying the process more than anything.

I have a 2hp router (plunge and fixed base) that will take 1/2 or 1/4 bits.

try and go 1/2" shanks whenever/ as much as possible, i've heard great things about the spiral bits, a luthier here swears by them which is why i included them in my tutorial, but i have yet to try one.

make sure it'll fit in your router though....right?

:D