Crazy finish!!!

I've seen the same or similar posted on facebook and didn't want to bother with my humble opiion... but to me it looks and awful lot like an illusion.  On the right there... that's a flamed maple top below another top... that is not a complete top.  They first glue down the flame maple top... then they place the partial top on top.  then they flood it with epoxy.  now it "looks" like the flame maple stops where the burl begins... but it doesn't.  This is just a guess, or rather how I would do it.  I have no idea what they really do.

I think it's a tinted epoxy pour. The epoxy just sits in the hollows and valleys of a timber slab that has been chosen for the rough edges and knots. The one on the right looks like two slabs on top of each other - a rough cut burl top is laminated to a fiddleback maple top and epoxy is poured into 'pools' created between the two layers.

Google 'live edge epoxy slab' for some ideas.

Edit: @mistermikev was faster than me.

• Like 1

Now this day started fine! As I've learned a new thing this day isn't lost...

I can buy the tinted epoxy thing for the right one, but on the left one I would expect the edges be more transparent especially at the edge of the lower horn. It looks like solid wood to me. I wonder if it could be done by partially waxing the top, following natural lines, and then flood the rest with dye? The matte looks might be done by oiling and waxing which should stick on waxed areas. Just guessing...

16 hours ago, mistermikev said:

I've seen the same or similar posted on facebook and didn't want to bother with my humble opiion... but to me it looks and awful lot like an illusion.  On the right there... that's a flamed maple top below another top... that is not a complete top.  They first glue down the flame maple top... then they place the partial top on top.  then they flood it with epoxy.  now it "looks" like the flame maple stops where the burl begins... but it doesn't.  This is just a guess, or rather how I would do it.  I have no idea what they really do.

I agree. I think the same, two tops and fill with epoxy cause in the zone of the carving in the horns, the spalted maple is deep inside. There are interesting ideas that come to my mind...

Scorpionscar

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Now this day started fine! As I've learned a new thing this day isn't lost...

I can buy the tinted epoxy thing for the right one, but on the left one I would expect the edges be more transparent especially at the edge of the lower horn. It looks like solid wood to me. I wonder if it could be done by partially waxing the top, following natural lines, and then flood the rest with dye? The matte looks might be done by oiling and waxing which should stick on waxed areas. Just guessing...

again I have no specific knowledge of how these are done... but I suspect the one on the left just doesn't have the sm depth because it's satin, just a guess.  w/o seeing it in person it's hard to really know for sure but yeah- could also just be the natural plateaus of a piece then filled with thin layer of epoxy. 

that said... I could see doing some interesting things with this idea and a form of the top.  if you put laminate into the bottom of the form (which would become the top of the top) and were careful to only put it in places where it would sit flat... or bent it to fit the form... then put other laminate behind that, then pour the epoxy... could come up with some interesting things.  laminate floating over other laminate.

Those look neat but I would like to see what it’s like in person before further comment. It you want to see some really interesting work like that check out Conklin guitars.  That guy is nuts. He has done several where the woods look like they are melting into each other.  
57836.jpg

57868.jpg
Conklin Guitars custom shop gallery

• Like 1

At first glance I thought it might be a spalt/resign pour with a flamed veneer underneath because it looks so 3d however, after seeing other photos I reckon it's just a really well done partial stain up to the black spalt lines because you can clearly see the same flaming running from the middle all through the spalty stuff and up by the lower horn and access cutaway it looks a lot like it's one piece of wood. 

However they did it it's very clever, although I think PRS just look a bit weird with spalt burl tops

More pics here: https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/prs-private-stock-8129-custom-24-l-flame-spalted-maple-flame-neck-and-board-faded-aquamarine

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

a really well done partial stain up to the black spalt lines because you can clearly see the same flaming running from the middle all through the spalty stuff and up by the lower horn and access cutaway it looks a lot like it's one piece of wood. 

Exactly my thoughts, your wording is better though.