drummers

StratDudeDan

Are drummers really musicians? Or do they just follow the band around?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

thinking we need to know, once and for all.

Oi - theres a drummer in your midst. Well, alright I used to be, but I can still play drums better than guitar (a testiment to lack of guitar practice, not being good on the drums). :D

Drums are a proper instrument, can you play them Stratdude?

No didn't think so :D

Easy to learn, easy to play, very hard to be good at. Even bongos take some tallent B)

if my mother would have let me play drums, i would be a drummer... i have that drummer attitude heh! but instead she was a nazi and now i play guitar... though i wanted to play bass, but my dad was a commie and wouldnt take me to the music shop unles i was buying a guitar... i was lucky to come out with an electric, because him AND mum were both pretty set on me buying an acoustic with my own money.

oh, and when i gave them my second choice after drums.. they just didnt answer me.. i guess bagpipes doesnt interest them much :D

What a stupid question....the drummer makes or breaks a band. If the drummer does not play tight and good the band will never sound convincing. Drummers are the most important co-musicians to me in any band I play. If the drummer is not good then I will not play with that band.

i think the topic is meant as a joke...like the canadian bacon and ham poll...everyone knows drummers are musicians just like everyone knows canadian bacon really is ham :D

i guess bagpipes doesnt interest them much :D

I can "play bagpipes" on guitar. I'm not joking, I have this cool "two hands on the neck" tapping style I do, that really sound like bagpipes.

I don't think this topic is stupid. It's interesting how many non-musicians have the opinion that drummers are just there "along for the ride".

When the drums are gone, it will often take the whole foundation out from under a song.

Orchestra music sounds pretty damn cool with rock drumming along with it.

But, just like guitarist or vocals, it depends on the drummer. If you're sitting here thinking about a crappy drummer, then of course you might be thinking " nah, drums don't really mean much in a song".

I am always tapping drum beats on the desk, on my knees, etc. Very often, without even realizing it. I've even fallen asleep tapping a complex beat and kept going with it while sleeping for a few minutes.

Interesting vote turnout so far *lol*

Guys, let me just say this: I used to take drum lessons for about two years and a few months and you wouldn't believe how many possibilities there are to play a note on a drum...just about as many as on guitar. Opposed to guitar, which is only challenging to your hands, drums is a challenge to the whole body and coordinating 4 limbs independently just takes one helluva lot of practice. Drum training has improved my sense of rhythm greatly and was a vital addition to my playing style on guitar, not to mention that understanding what the drummer does is key to a good band interaction (again, given a good drummer, of course). Like said above, takes very much to get good at. I used to have lessons with a guy who has become German head of drums department for the Modern Music School, which is affiliated with the Los Angeles Music Academy, so this means the dude can play, and he's like a tall version of Mike Portnoy and he says "I envy those guys who are good enough to really play those afro-cuban rhythms right"...

I think all those drummer jokes are bad propaganda, just like the guitarist jokes, the singer jokes...all good fun, but no one in their sane mind would ever deny the fact that anyone who practices an instrument is actually a musician. Back in the day however, every week before we'd start drum class we'd share the newest drummer jokes and have a good laugh about them :D

so long

ace

What a stupid question....the drummer makes or breaks a band. If the drummer does not play tight and good the band will never sound convincing. Drummers are the most important co-musicians to me in any band I play. If the drummer is not good then I will not play with that band.

i think the topic is meant as a joke...like the canadian bacon and ham poll...everyone knows drummers are musicians just like everyone knows canadian bacon really is ham :D

wrong!

wrong!

are you talking about the joke or the bacon? 'cause wes is right on both parts... :D

Drums are a proper instrument, can you play them Stratdude?

No didn't think so

as for you, incorrectomundo, my friend. i started on drums my 5th grade year, took them all the way through my freshman year (as well as trombone) and then decided i wanted to get serious about t-bone, followed by picking up bass.

i actually appreciate what drummers do like mad, too. my best friend is a drummer, and has been the drummer for every single one of my "bands," as well as covered for more people than i can imagine at last minute notice and whatnot. i would never think about questioning his musicality. he may not be able to tune a guitar for crap, but i know no one that can create better background for something i or one of my friends writes/plays.

Drum training has improved my sense of rhythm greatly

that's one of the many reasons i took drums. my dad (being a band director) did that to me on purpose, 'cause he knew i was going to be some sort of musician (son of two music teachers) and wanted to make sure i had a base that not many other people had. if i hadn't have played for all those years, i would probably be no where near the bassist i am now. in a big band, the bass player is the time-keeper for the drummer while the drummer holds the band together, thus, the success of time rests on the bassists shoulders, and without that training, i wouldn't be able to handle that.

btw, the whole bassist = time-keeper thing is a kinda new thought to a lot of jazzers, and if you're interested in rythm sections or combo work and have a different opinion, i really want to talk to you to hear your ideas as well as put up an argument of sorts for mine, mostly for learning purposes...pm or e-mail me, please.

edit - not to hijack my own thread here or anything... B)

what about bluegrass? they seldom use drummers. The dixie chicks used to have 4 members and 1 left because they hired a drummer. (learned that today on "driven" :D )

Yeah, and the guy playing the sad violin solo right now ain't got no drummer either. B)

I meant *take away* the drums, A.K.A ; Pick a song with drums, take away drums, song looses a lot. Have to strip everything else down (as in acoustic version) to balance out the omission of the drums.

Country music became much more mainstream when the drum parts became much more like the drum parts of other music that was already mainstream.

I don't wanna work, I just wanna bang on me drum all day.......

gotta go for the old guys who drum.. young drummers (around here.. of course i base my opinion on my own experiances! cmon now!) tend to be a little more cocky and arrogant about their slight skill. i know the 4 drummers in my home town here, and all four of them barely pass punk music standards, let alone rock or jazz or blues (not that punk is lower standard, but i notice THEIR style of punk is very simple) meanwhile the two older drummers ive met in the music stores and local band get togethers have great talent, but arent cocky or arrogant... in fact, they are so truthfully modest, it sickens me! those type who your like "DUDE you rule on that, man you have some uber skill" and they reply "well, im good enough to keep a beat, but im nowhere near being as good as you say"... the sick part is that one of them plays bass and guitar as well, and kicks ass! i never saw slap pops done in my life before he showed it to me, and my god... ive never seen it done so well in my life since! (though.. its only been about 4 months lol)

im dragging on.. later!

I've sort of had the opposite happen. I was in a band 9 years ago, with a drummer who was only 19, had only been playing drums for 3 years, but he was the second best drummer I ever played with. He was quite good and I was amazed he had only been playing that long. He had been taking lessons all the 3 years.

A few years later when I was "solo" again, I tried out a 45 year old drummer. What a mistake ! Not only was he the worst drummer I ever heard (he said he had been playing since his 20's), but then I couldn't just tell him he sucked. I told him we couldn't work together because : " I think your style is just more suitable for 'swing' music". He bugged me for months to form a band with him, but there was no way. I think he was "self-taught".

I was turned down by the best drummer I ever played with ( I guess he was around 28). His guitarist had moved on to New York city, and he wanted a carbon-copy of that guitarist, which I wasn't.

drummers are interesting animals. drummers are a dime a dozen, but finding a good one is hard. The drummer in my band is out right now (he's just had disc fusion surgery on his spine), and finding someone good enough to just fill in has been a challenge. It's funny if you are any kind of a "Pocket" conscious player, I think your best friend in the band ends up being the drummer and the bass player. Now you wanna hate on a band member, hate on the oboe player. He's always a cocky SOB and he gets all the girls B):D:D

at my old high school, there were three oboe players. two were the hottest girls i have ever seen in my life, the third was this gay guy that got all the girls. what's up with that?!