Singlecut build

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 4:33 PM, Prostheta said:

Carbon is probably the saving grace here. Black is rarely ever black, as you say. It easily goes brown, purple or any other weird shade.

This. I really like the color on this build. Looks very nice in every other way too.

I have been experimenting with many wood species trying to make them pure grey. Staining, bleaching and what not. Lots of weird shades, very little pure grey. In that respect Larch is my favourite wood. Just some water and lots of sunlight. Beautiful grey without a trace of any other color :) Not necessarily the best method for a guitar top, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrim said:

This. I really like the color on this build. Looks very nice in every other way too.

I have been experimenting with many wood species trying to make them pure grey. Staining, bleaching and what not. Lots of weird shades, very little pure grey. In that respect Larch is my favourite wood. Just some water and lots of sunlight. Beautiful grey without a trace of any other color :) Not necessarily the best method for a guitar top, though.

Thanks @henrim, yes grey is quite a difficult one to actually get to stay grey. I've got a few different black dyes and I find Crimson dye seems to go red when it's sanded back or pulled back with water, Liberon black dye seams to go quite blue and so does Angelus dye, the carbon black powder I used on this one is the only colour I've got that seems to stay that neutral grey colour, obviously the colour of the wood makes a huge difference here but I do think that the acetone seemed to have a slight bleaching affect too. I need to do a bit of experimenting with that. 

26 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Thanks @henrim, yes grey is quite a difficult one to actually get to stay grey. I've got a few different black dyes and I find Crimson dye seems to go red when it's sanded back or pulled back with water, Liberon black dye seams to go quite blue and so does Angelus dye, the carbon black powder I used on this one is the only colour I've got that seems to stay that neutral grey colour, obviously the colour of the wood makes a huge difference here but I do think that the acetone seemed to have a slight bleaching affect too. I need to do a bit of experimenting with that. 

Out of those you mentioned I have only tried Liberon and it's blue indeed. Today I'm getting a new batch of dyes (Cab coatings Finland) for other uses but there is a bottle of black too so I need to see what shade of grey that gives. The carbon powder is definetely something I need to try. Thanks for that tip! 

Edited by henrim