Burl Table for the Wife

ScottR

• 2 weeks later...

There is actually a lot of work represented here....and it's mostly invisible. Quoting @Stu. from a recently renewed old thread....it's time to just see if anyone can spot the changes....or something like that. Mostly what you're looking for is limbs being thinned at the ends and gradually growing larger towards the main trunk.

DSC04252.JPGDSC04254.JPGDSC04256.JPGDSC04257.JPGDSC04259.JPG

SR

• Like 4

The way this is evolving from blocks of wood is just nuts, especially the negative space between branches. Just like stone carving, I find it scary that you remove all reference surfaces where you could have a line to follow! I bet you can get lost in the process

5 hours ago, Stu. said:

The way this is evolving from blocks of wood is just nuts, especially the negative space between branches. Just like stone carving, I find it scary that you remove all reference surfaces where you could have a line to follow! I bet you can get lost in the process

That is true. You do remove any guides almost right off the bat. I did do some sketches from different angles before I started cutting, so I do have something to refer back to. At the same time the very act of cutting can spur modifications as it comes together. The three branches sprouting from the main trunk have changed the way they are joined almost constantly. It does indeed tell me what it wants to be as it develops.

SR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After over a decade of being in here nearly every day, I feel guilty only showing up long enough to post some pictures.

The fact is I used to leave this up in the background all day at work and keep up and comment during slack times. The past 18 months or so have been so busy, that I can go weeks without ever opening up a browser,

It's making me tired.

On the weekends I still work on my wife's table. The carving is essentially done. I've decided to semi-sand to show off the wood and carving marks as well. The plan is to sand and shape and add back some carving marks as needed. I don't like leaving chipped areas and splintered cuts. We'll see if I can stand it....

The branches look like drift wood in this stage.

DSC04272.JPGDSC04273.JPGDSC04275.JPG

On nearly all of my guitar builds someone says that top is really nice but I think I like the back even better.

The same could happen here, I suppose.

Baby's got a bubinga butt.

DSC04276.JPGDSC04277.JPG

And then to show off her butt, a little wipe of mineral spirits.

DSC04280.JPG

Sometimes they sit on the best part.

SR

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mistermikev said:

doh, thought I was looking at a top... but for the record the 'lovely' part was still accurate.

Thanks, Mike. I do believe that was the first guitar oriented piece of wood I ever purchaser. The majority of it went into a prototype....before any build.. Good thing too, that stuff is seriously heavy.

SR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So last weekend I'm in the garage as usual and sanding on this thing as usual and a young man comes a round looking like he is canvassing the neighborhood. This is normally when I like to be invisible, so as to avoid a sales pitch. But with my garage door open and me sitting in the opening working on this tree, and blues sweetly filling my garage and driveway, it's hard to pull off invisible. I've got my best don't fuck with me face on and it's working mostly, then the dude executes a double take and asks permission to comne take a look. How can I resist.....even knowing it is a perfect opening to launch the sales pitch. He asked If I was carving a tree and said it made him think of the tree in The Karate Kid. I said YES, the bonsai, that's exactly the looking I'm working for! Then he tried to sell me a solar energy plan and I sent him on his way. Still confirmation from an unexpected source is great. Say your seven year daughter brings home a picture she did in art class and tells you to guess what it is. You think it vaguely looks like a mama cow suckling her calf. She says it's you changing the flat tire on your bicycle last week. If you'd have guessed the cow thing, she'd have felt like I did.:D

Work continues.

DSC04281.JPGDSC04282.JPGDSC04284.JPGDSC04285.JPG

SR

• Haha 1

I just realized this afternoon, after roughly a year of working on this thing that the top surface of many of the branches, are going to be so hidden as to be invisible when the top is glued on. Doh! I wonder how may hours I have spent working on that area?

DSC04286.JPGDSC04287.JPGDSC04288.JPGDSC04289.JPG

SR

• Like 2

Hehe... That reminded me of my daughter showing a picture. My wife couldn't figure out what it was, for me it was obvious. It was pinned on our bedroom wall but I couldn't find it, must be behind the closet that has been moved there... Anyhow, here's roughly how it looked, can you guess what it is?:

image.png.9bb0ff5ae97f6dd7aadc540d33584735.png

It's an elephant. Big ears, a trunk and a tail. And two thick feet on either side.

Speaking about sanding, the smooth tree trunk makes a nice contrast to the gouge marked stones.

11 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

That made me chuckle re the sales speil and that my 5 yr old regularly expects me to guess what she just drew.

I honestly thought the gouge marks was the look you were going for. You must have been sanding that for days, you mad man 

I want the gouge marks and areas where the wood's beauty shows through. the grain just does crazy things when it's carved into shapes.. I may put some tool marks back in at some point.

SR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Hehe... That reminded me of my daughter showing a picture. My wife couldn't figure out what it was, for me it was obvious. It was pinned on our bedroom wall but I couldn't find it, must be behind the closet that has been moved there... Anyhow, here's roughly how it looked, can you guess what it is?:

image.png.9bb0ff5ae97f6dd7aadc540d33584735.png

It's an elephant. Big ears, a trunk and a tail. And two thick feet on either side.

Speaking about sanding, the smooth tree trunk makes a nice contrast to the gouge marked stones.

There is such symmetry in that drawing, I think it has to be an island and its reflection in the water.

And the smooth areas contrasting with the rougher areas is part of what I'm showing off in that carving. I'm hoping the contrast becomes even greater the more finished the smooth areas become.

SR

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

I got to the point where I could apply my first coat of oil.

Isn't that a satisfying moment, to see all the hidden lustre of the wood!

The bottom layer now looks much more "earthy".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Isn't that a satisfying moment, to see all the hidden lustre of the wood!

One of the best things ever...

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

The bottom layer now looks much more "earthy".

The dark middle layer is frame the same board, but different faces of the grain are exposed in each, making the light angles bouncing off of each different. They look like different types of wood in these shots.

And are you ever going to reveal what your daughters drawing depicted?

SR

3 minutes ago, ScottR said:

And are you ever going to reveal what your daughters drawing depicted?

You didn't notice the answer? A few lines below the picture using a smaller font...

3 minutes ago, ScottR said:

My eyes are going, I'm sorry to say.

Old age gets us all. You seem to be doing well with your fingertips, though.

• Like 1