I think I'll make a green one.

On 3/10/2024 at 3:46 PM, ScottR said:

Lacquer spraying is done. There are several sets of bug's feet embedded in it, should add some mojo!DSC04709.JPGDSC04715.JPG

SR

many things to take away from seeing your creations scott, and this is a stunning build... but also: black lacquer - just can't get over it ever time I see it.  nice work!!

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

many things to take away from seeing your creations scott, and this is a stunning build... but also: black lacquer - just can't get over it ever time I see it.  nice work!!

Thanks muchly Mike!

Black lacquer is easy, and makes a classy burst.

SR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Thanks.

And no, my midges are more party animals. They love taking swan dives into my beer glass, when I'm unwinding on the back patio.:angry:

SR

That said, better than a swan doing a midge dive into your beer.  Makes a right old mess... :)

• Haha 1

Speaking about midges, Google seems to want to translate the most relevant article, in this case Wikipedia:

A midge is any small fly, including species in several families of non-mosquito Nematoceran Diptera. Midges are found (seasonally or otherwise) on practically every land area outside permanently arid deserts and the frigid zones. Some midges, such asWell, the first word can't be found anywhere although Google thinks it means 'a fly'.

The first 'midge' was translated to a word that Google can't find and I've never heard. 'Fly' in the same first sentence was translated to a shape that is used in conjunction with another noun, roughly 'fly related' like in flypaper. Nematoceran was translated as 'shuttle-sausageous', again a word Google doesn't know elsewhere. 'Midges' in the second sentence wasn't translated at all, it read 'midges'. Finally, in the third sentence 'midges' was translated - drrrrrrum rrrrrrollll - 'midgets'!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got started on leveling last weekend. I like to break the surface of lacquer after one week. It's around 85% cured at that point, and I believe this helps trapped solvents evaporate. Also the act of leveling removes a fair amount of lacquer that now you don't have to cure. This time I leveled using only micromesh. And I took care to follow advice that @Bizman62 has been preaching almost since the first day he joined us. Use no pressure on the sanding block, which is a pretty dense square of foam.The point I was most interested in is doing my best not to introduce any deep sanding scratches. 1500 micromesh as a starting point should do the trick. And it didn't really slow the leveling down as much as I would have thought.

DSC04719.JPGDSC04720.JPGDSC04722.JPGDSC04723.JPG

SR

• Like 2

So last weekend saw only two grades completed during the leveling. After another week of drying, the lacquer is around 95% cured. And that last 5% will keep shrinking for months and months. Since this is grain filled with a film of epoxy resin, I don't expect any shrinking into pores 6 months from now, I got through three grades of sanding this weekend. What you see is up to micromesh 3600.

DSC04724.JPGDSC04725.JPGDSC04727.JPGDSC04730.JPG

SR

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScottR said:

Use no pressure on the sanding block, which is a pretty dense square of foam.The point I was most interested in is doing my best not to introduce any deep sanding scratches. 1500 micromesh as a starting point should do the trick. And it didn't really slow the leveling down as much as I would have thought.

Isn't it somewhat counterintuitive to see how well even a fine grit sandpaper/mesh/whatever cuts through the surface, leaving a satin sheen without scratches with much fewer strokes than you'd think? Seeing that miracle happen is always fun, seeing the faces of other people after having instructed them not to use pressure for best results is hilarious!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Isn't it somewhat counterintuitive to see how well even a fine grit sandpaper/mesh/whatever cuts through the surface, leaving a satin sheen without scratches with much fewer strokes than you'd think? Seeing that miracle happen is always fun, seeing the faces of other people after having instructed them not to use pressure for best results is hilarious!

Trudat!

SR

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Many thanks @ScottR and @Bizman62 for the detailed 'how and why' run through of the process here.  Consider all techniques as stolen and expect my next build shinier :)

Seriously, this is great info, y'all :)

What he said. You guys should write a tutorial, for me the finish part is the most confusing one and it's really hard to find good and trustworth ressources. A lot of people claim "yeah do whatever it will work out!" but I found it to be pretty far from the truth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Asdrael said:

What he said. You guys should write a tutorial, for me the finish part is the most confusing one and it's really hard to find good and trustworth ressources. A lot of people claim "yeah do whatever it will work out!" but I found it to be pretty far from the truth.

There are many many finishing methods that produce amazing results. These days, I'm finding it difficult to find the time to type a few sentences, so I don't know how soon one could expect a tutorial. One thing I can and will do, is answer any questions you may have about the method you want to use......providing that I actually know anything about that method, of course. One thing most of them have in common is careful sanding. Plain old boring sanding can make all the difference between "oh wow!" and "oh shit!"

SR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From "Oh shit!" to "Oh wow! - at least in this spot" is my preferred method, requiring going back for fixing a scratch left from two-three grits earlier. Gentle wipes with frequently cleaned abrasive repeated a million times, that's the best tutorial about fine sanding from me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, avengers63 said:

The green tint coat did wonders to bring out the color. 

Also, I'm glad the initial green/sandback on the limba vastly improved with the clear coat. It faded way back to become a subtle undertone.

Thanks John!

The sandback on the back was always intended to be a subtle accent. It sometimes surprises me to look back and see how much work it appears I did for subtle accents. But what the hell, I'm going to be sanding it anyway--why not get an accent out of it?

SR