guitar strap locks

Hey, i just got my strap locks today and i was swinging my guitar around my neck but it didn't look good and didn't feel good either (i got some strap burns on my neck). After about half an hour of practice a screw fell out of my guitar causing my whole strap to come off in the middle of a through around the neck, which dinged up my guitar pretty bad, but i realized i didn't put the screws that it came with, but the screws that i had before, so i guess that they were to small... anyways, i was wondering if i could get some pointers about swinging guitars around your neck haha.

Why swing a guitar around your neck? And this isent the place to ask that

Don't treat new(and old) members that way, especially if your post is completely off. This is THE ONLY correct place to ask that question. It is exactly about the construction of solidbody guitars. The question is how to install the strap locks of a solidbody guitar in a way that is stable enough to throw the guitar arround your neck without ripping the straplocks from the wood.

i am also curious about why you would swing a guitar around your neck....i have never heard of this.i know zz top has their's on swivels so they can spin them but this is a little different i think.

and i am really not sure how you would safely do it without eventually destroying something....whether it be the guitar or your neck :D

I cant remember where i first saw it, but its come up in a few videos, i thought it was kinda weird but impressive (that faces or equipment didnt get broken!).

Ive seen bass player from Papa Roach do it

Bass player from Sum 41 ('In too deep' video)

Both guitarists from Static-X ('This is not' video?)

Same! I have always thought about it, but never really thought I'd get enough momentum or it would really burn!

Are we talking about the Yngwie Malmsteen "throw-the-guitar-behind-your-neck" move?

AAAHHH! The good ol' memories it brings, I remember when I was a teener back in '87 and i'd throw that good ol' les paul copy behind my neck until it hit the concrete wall behind it.

I sure could've used some good strap locks then.... :D

I think he's just talking about the old 80's trick where you fling it completely around and back into playing position, right? I could swear I've seen Vai do it on some video somewhere but maybe I'm thinking of someone else? Anyway, if you're going to do it, I think the technique was to try to "throw" it such that the strap stays in contact with your body at all times. In other words, don't let any slack develop since that can cause the gutiar to change paths once it becomes taught. Not recommended for a guitar that you care for - actually not recommended at all. BTW, you are using wireless (built-in), right? :D

hehe...wierd...i guess i am not much for gimmicks

i have a hard enough time finding the time to keep up with my playing

hah... who cares about playing? its all about how cool your stage moves are :D

just kidding guys. i saw a bassist do it live once, it was pretty cool. i'll never try it because

1.) I'm a klutz

2.) I play a pretty heavy guitar live (mahogony explorer)

anyway back to the straplocks. use the longest screws you can find, it's worth the $.50.

yeah, that's what poser bands do. i say once everyone starts doing something, it loses it's credibility because it is no longer original. i saw static-x live the other day and wayne static and tripp must of done it 3 or 4 times each. i shook my head and said: "what a bunch of posers." i also see a lot of nu-metal bands doing it, i think it is lame to tell you the truth. it's kind of like a new trend, and i hate trends. "wow look at me, i can swing a guitar around my body." anyways, there are a lot good guitar players out that, that are posers.

Victor Wooten does it also.

Actually, I was lucky enough to see Wooten do it live in concert. Pretty tight trick, but it can't be overused.

Anyway, Vic doesn't needstage gimmicks.

not to imply that it's cheap, but he's a good enough bassist that he can do without.

Wooten also does this other thing where the bass stays there but he spins around. I saw the Flecktones at the Montreal Jazz Fest and just love their sense of humor.

I myself think it's cool that newer bands show some respect for those that treaded their path by doing their signature stage moves again. Vai does it all the time and pretty excessively and Yingwie can pull it off despite his big gut and that has me wonder every time. He did it on the DVD of "Concerto Suite"...but he forgot that he wasn't wireless..that was hilarious. A roadie promptly untangled him.

I haven't tried it yet because my room isn't high enough and when doing it outsied on the grass you risk neighbours seeing you and I don't want that for my first couple of throws...

so long

ace