Bass Guitar

This is what I have so far.

Here are my parts. Double action truss rod, Bartolini MM pickup, satin chrome tuners, custom shop parts chrome bridge, pau ferro fretboard, strip of maple, and a strip of african padauk.

parts.jpg

Here is a picture of my neck blank. It is maple/walnut/maple/walnut/maple.

neckblank.jpg

Wood for lower wing (walnut):

bodylower.jpg

And upper wing (walnut):

bodyupper.jpg

Here is a picture of my scarf joint cut and sanded level.

scarf.jpg

And the joint glued and clamped.

clamped.jpg

Comments welcome!

Thanks Wes. Took it using my Jamcam! (horray for 1/3 megapixel!)

JAMCAM?!?!?! I had one of those...SUCKED!!!! I ended up wiping it on the floor or something and later got a 3.2 mega pixel Samsung.

Nice contrasting in your neck, it looks cool having the walnut so much thicker than the maple.

Lex Luthier: Jamcams are actually pretty nice for their price (CHEAP!!).

skibum: That is a pretty cool idea, but I wouldn't want to have to install the truss rod from the back of the neck.

BLS: No, its the ugly blue one.

• 1 month later...

Volute 1

Volute 2

Volute 3

Up the neck

Down the neck

Pau Ferro Fretboard - Roughly tapered.

Glueing some wood to the back of the neck to make up some thickness.

Sorry for the lack of quality with the pictures. Hope you enjoy.

Chris

Edit: I realized that I posted a whole lot of pictures so I linked them instead. Sorry.

Looks great!... too bad about the mishaps, but it looks like you're getting it sorted OK.

Any particular reason you chose to shape the wings before gluing them on? Or is that normally the way it's done? Definitely not meant as a criticism-- I'm about as ignorant as it gets about most building-related things.

Greg

Greg: I honestly don't know which order is prefered. I have seen it done both ways. Due to space limitations in my workshop as well as the reach of my band saw, I would not have been able to cut the body out after it had been glued.

asm: I got all that walnut from a friend of mine who has had it in his barn for 25 years. The long strips are from a flatsawn board. I merely cut the pieces and put them on edge.

Wow, that's a cool bass. Walnut is one of my favorite woods. The contrasting colors for the neck are beautiful. You do a nice job carving the volutes and the neck. I bet it will play smooth as silk. You also did a great job of fixing those router mishaps. You can't even see them. Thanks for the pictures, it is great to see how you progress through this project.

What sort of electronics will you be using on this? What finish?

daveq: I have no idea what type of walnut it is. I thought it was Black Walnut though. I live in West Virginia and 25 years ago, the guy that gave this to me got the tree from someones front yard (it was cut down and laying there).

Myka Guitars: The neck was shaped with a belt sander. I've got a Bartolini music man pickup (of which I am still trying to get a template cut out for :D ). I will be building the preamp myself unless I get a sudden infusion of money. Hehe.

Thanks for the comments.

DUUUUDE! SWEEEEET!!!

I love the way the horns sort of curve back in at the ends, very classy.

I also love the way the maple stripes disappear for most of the neck, and then reappear in the headstock. VERY classy.

The only suggestion I have is that you sand down the volute a bit. In the top shot of it that you posted, it looked a little rough. Hit it with a little bit of 220 and it'd be perfecto.

Great job, keep up the good work.

Skibum: Ya, that was taken right after the initial shaping of the neck. I plan to smooth it out quite a bit. Thanks for the compliments!

I just fretted (delicately POUNDED them in; tried to be gentle but they just wouldn't go that way! :D ) and dressed the frets today. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. I didn't do a very good job at fretting, but I don't think its that bad for a first try.

• 2 weeks later...