Projects I am working on.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

i think it is best to leave the critisizing of litch's work to the few knowledgeable guys who are trying to help litch become better.

i think it is important to not let it get to the point to where every newbie is critisizing every tiny flaw in his work because it is "accepted"

don't want it to turn into a bandwagon with every guy on the forum jumping on.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Again a newbie jumping into the heat of things, im sorry if this infuriates some people. However, i have a point to make. First off, i have never made a guitar before. But the wood for my first came in today :D . However, when i saw some of the pictures of Litch's singlecut, i was vcery concerned because the edges looked as if they had been cut with scissors, not really that bad, but definitely not ready for the stages he was ready to enter. Even though i might not be able to do better myself, should he not take the advice of an onlooker who was offering advice just because i have no experience. It would be different if it were something that is not able to be done without years of experience, but suggesting that someone round some edges or clean up routs is something that is useful. I do, however, think that someone whose work is inferior should be very careful of his tone. To wrap it up, offer constructive criticism, but watch out how you offer it. Oh, and by the way, the quality of your work has improved tenfold. Keep up the great work, it can only improve if you keep at it. Rant over. Neal

Even though i might not be able to do better myself, should he not take the advice of an onlooker who was offering advice just because i have no experience

Neal, I'm sure that's what Jeff is doing. He took alot of **** before this and I'm sure he does something with the criticism from the experienced builders.

russian himself doesn't take criticism very well regarding his own project.

As far as critcism goes, all is fine by me. Some of the inexperienced people may say something that isnt quite right, and I am sure it will be pointed out. Nitpickiness is something I need to get used to. If I plan to sell guitars, people will nitpick them apart before they buy or become a dealer.

Now, Wes, if you were moderating, and I was stepping on toes, let me know

Meanwhile... back to the tele.

I really like the way this one is shaping up Jeff. Really good work on the outside lines. As for the inside route, I wouldn't worry about the edges being a little rough like that. If you feel so inclined, you could clean it up, but I wouldn't go overboard on it. But, that's just me.

I also see no problems with the Tele/Gibson fusion. The bridge and neck pickups should be nice together. My only concern is the cosmetics of the bridge pickup being exposed with the TOM bridge. I love the look of the TOM bridge and the sound of the Tele pickup. I just think the Tele pickup is not too much to look at.

Anyhow, good to see you doing such a good job on this one so far. Keep it up!

I have been lookingat Tom Anderson's Tele's, and he leavesthe bridge pickup open, and it looks pretty slick. And, if I wind up no liking it, I'll just slp in a full sized HB

Here is a B&W pic of the tele. Some know why. And the bursting is not done yet :D

image021.jpg

And here it is just dyed black:

http://fullservesite.com//lcgs/Carrie/image013.jpg

Wow.

I have to admit i havent posted in this thread, cos i havent looked for a while, cos of all the Bashing of Jeff's earlier work, and also if you aint got nothin nice to say etc.

But the first time i check back, i see that body and omg, that is one of the nicest looking tele's i have seen in a while! :D

Great to see your taking advice, and its obviously made an inprovement on your work.

Matt

What kind of black did you use?

Now you're talkin' my language. B):D

Looks great so far. :D

Nice figure in the Maple, should come out great.

What color is it going to be?

When wiping your color on, wipe it on quick, or it'll start to pick up the black and darken it if you keep wiping and wiping over and over. Keep it short and sweet and get it over with pronto. :D

Litch

I got 2 things to say, and i have only built 1 guitar so far, but i learned alot from other people and through trial and error.

#1 Your inside routes, like mentioned already should be cleaned up, but since you got the top on, then you cant really get rid of that awesome maple top unless you steam it off, or however its done

#2 Its lookin AMAZING!!! :D by far your best work I am impressed a great deal, and a carrie burst will look killer on that

Keep it up litch, and like wes said, dont skimp sanding, and dont let us down

Curtis

Thnk you for all the kind words. I just bought 2 more Tele sized quilt tops. Drak, YOU CORRUPTED ME! :D

Seriously, thanks guys, I wont skimp on the sanding nor the grain filling on the mahogany back.

PS. Drak, I did guarantee competition, 'member.

GDmnit, be a man, slap a stamped steel Tele bridge on that baby, put yer boots and hat on, and TWANGIT for a change! :D  B)  :D

Sorry man, Tone Pros dont mke Tele bridges yet ;P

I shall get some twang tho