Post Pics of your shop

Maher

Well, this has already been seen in my project thread, but here's the disaster:

workshop.jpg

I tried cleaning it up, and then mostly gave up. The only thing I accomplished was moving the power tools from the floor to a shelf, and moving the table saw out of the way a bit.

Greg

• 1 year later...

Promised I would post pics of the new shop. Here she is, we finally got moved in two weeks ago. With 2000sqft I think there should be enough room to build a guitar or two. One of the really nice features is that there is a room in the back that I can use as a finishing/assembly room. :D

Shoppics001.jpg

Shop Pics

Hope I got the pictures set up right. If not it might be awhile before this post works, with the lack editing at the moment.

Nate :D

Do you use them much? I want to get into using hand tools alot more.

Here are some updated pics.

This is where I keep all the big noisy tools:

Router Table & Drillpress

Spindle Sander, Bandsaw & Dust Collector

Edge Beltsander & 4x36 Beltsander

Thickness Sander in Back

This is where I sit down and do some serious work:

Pretty Crowded

Hand Tools, etc

Current Project

To be honest I was really hesitant to use them, at first. My business partner actually helped show me how to tune and hone them. I think that knowing how to set them up is at least half the battle. I do use them on a regular basis now, but I am still developing the "feel" of using them. The ones I most commonly use are the #3, #5, and #7. It took alot of work to get them in the shape they are now, but they save so much time that I can't imagine not having them available.

If ya have the time and money to get into them they can be very good ju ju :D

Nate

Yeah, I have two Veritas, and would like a few more. On my next instrument, probably a violin, I would like to do all the smoothing/truing/thicknessing with hand planes.

If they're sharp they can make quick work, plus it looks like they would work well with the amount of space you are using. On that note, that is a very orderly set up you have over there. I worked out of a small 20ft X 10ft shop last year and the hardest part of building was just keeping that many tools in that small a space. To be honest I had difficulty finding damn near anything in there.

There was a discussion or two on hand planes a month or so ago, and I don't think I was alone in believing that the veritas planes were a pretty good deal. I got my planes from garage sales and flea markets and had to spend a good deal of time getting them in shape. Unfortunately at the time I was a classic bargain shopper, ya know?

Nate

Nicely put together post, BigD! I see that your organizational skills are akin to my own. :D Though, I generally find it easier to find my tools when I "leave them where they lay". Once a month I tidy up and then spend three weeks trying to find everything! :D

Nate Robinson