finished my 31 fret guitar

hey guys, thought now that i can finally post my pics i would show my 31 fret B1 custom off... happy reading :D

Firstly the body. Design was roughly based on an ibanez of mine, the RG320. But the plank of wood i had bought for the body was not as wide it is more slender looking than the ibanez. I wanted a more slender guitar anyway, so i win B)

The wood i used was a very expensive pitch pine, in a previous thread i have posted hardness/shrinkage/warping/density details to prove that although a softwood it is infact very stable and hard. This is why i used it, i also wanted a different wood to the commonly used woods. This was let acclimitise for quite a while.

The design on the wood:

wood%20and%20design.jpg

Next dad cut this shape outa the wood using the jigsaw, no access to a bandsaw, ,so made do with the ole jig.

dad%20cutting%20shape.jpg

Then neck pocket waas routed, i think it was approx 59mm wide, for the slightly thicker neck at the higher frets.

neck%20pocket%20route1.jpg

Then the trem was routed front and back:

trem%20routed.jpg

Then i began shaping the body, firstly i shaped the arm rest. Below shows this, ans also the beginnings of the carve on the body:

shaping%20arm%20rest.jpg

To shape this i used a hand plane to get the angle etc... then for all subsequent carving i exclusively used a drill with sanding disk. This requures a steady hand otherwise you leave gouges in the wood all over!

Below is the body clamped and beside is the drill with disk attachment:

shaping%20body.jpg

Below is a picture to try and show off the carve, but its it doesn't do the carve justice:

show%20carve.jpg

This is a pic of the body with a bit more contouring. There is the gut cut in the back, and something similar to the AANJ heel shape.

back%20scallop.jpg

This is a more complete picture of the body, ,showing the carve a little better.

body%20on%20amp.jpg

i dont have pics of the pickup route atm, i will look for them now, and post the rest of this pictorial asap.

Mike

whoa! those contors look fab! the grain in the pine makes it look all the better! nice work!

i worked on and off at the body for quite a while, if you added up the time spent i suppose a couple of weeks working on it at night would have done it, perhaps a little less.

found a pic of my hardware for the guitar. no luck finding a pic of the pickup route, maybe i didnt take one... hehe!

hardware.jpg

this is a pic of my pickup. its a pickup from my ibanez that i put emg's in. Its a powersound PSND1 pickup.

pickup.jpg

This is a pic of the fretwire. Its medium sized to give the upper frets a little more room. after playing this wire i think i prefer it to jumbo.

fretwire.jpg

Mike

im not into tap tone really, it does sound very good tho.

no imn not painting it :D its done btw, just coallating my pics... you will see it soon, so check this thread B)

Mike

Here it is, the final thing :D

My first ever full build guitar... be gentle, hehe!

guitar%20front1.jpg

The pickup cover is larger incase i want to slip a piezo in and experiment with it :D

Here is the back, showing the teak cavity covers. The teak was laminated onto aluminium to give it strength and to shield the guitar.

back.jpg

This is the headstock. The truss rod cover is made from teak also. Not the best of photos, sorry!

headstock.jpg

A side view.

side%20guitar.jpg

You can see some of the carved body in this pic. Also the scalloped fretboard is visible.

front%20close.jpg

A pic showing off the top inlays and also the front of the guitar.

front%20close2.jpg

And finally my cat, Sooty. No one let me call her snowball, unfortunately!

sooty.jpg

Info on the guitar:

31 fret bolt on neck with AANJ style neck joint. MOP inlays 6mm until 24th fret, 2mm afterwards. Walnut neck, teak fingerboard. Full fingerboard scallop. Small volute on neck, barely noticible.

Pitch Pine body. 1 Powersound pickup (which matches this guitar very well B)).

Active volume control. Series/Parallel switching.

3 Band Eq - Bass Treble, and a mid boost. (not wired as yet)

Neck/Bridge pickup switch - simulates the sound of a neck pickup by switching a cap and resistor in, this rolls of the highs more etc...

Reverse headstock with 6 in line gold tuners.

Liscensed gold double locking Floyd Rose.

Teak oiled finish, applied to everything. approximately in the range of 25 - 30 coats. this was sanded and polished after the oil was dry.

Any questions/comments do tell!

Mike

that's very, very beautiful!!!

how does the pine sound??

very very good job, a GOTM, possibly?

the only things i didnt like that much was the pickguard - i think if you made one out of matching pine, it will look much better, as it would be 'hidden'....

other than that, that beauty deserves something better than an ibanez p-up imo!

maybe custom bartolini? :D

the neck profile looks to be anything but wizard though! B) i take it you prefer 'beefy' necks? good for you.

but really, an oustanding job.... just for me, that pickguard looks a bit out of place, maybe a bit on the cheapside, if you dont mind me saying - on such an amazing instrument.

:D

Roman

the pickguard grew on me, it is basically for when i want to put in piezo - if i want to. i may replace the pickup, ,but it matches the guitar really well!

i do prefer the slightly thicker necks now, yes! better sustain perhaps?

yes i should be entering GOTM!

cool!! i always found this forum was good to make me continue to try building. as wes said take your time with it... i did, and its a great guitar :D

Thanks lovekraft!!! i figured that if the wood had better figures for shrinkage warping etc... compared to some maple why the hell shouldnt i use it!

thanks for the support!

Mike

That looks awesome! The fretwork looks great too, you wouldnt belive the crappy fretjobs ive seen on guitars with 24+ frets. Thats some interesting wiring you got on their too. And i love how the teak contrast with the pitch pine. You should DEFINETLY enter it in the GOTM.