Masking a body

For my current project, I'm doing a fairly challenging paint job where I need to paint a burst along with a pattern (animal skin pattern). I've done a search and found some information on this but am wondering if I'm making more work for myself than I need to:

1. Since most of the guitar will be a light color (the animal skin being black lines), I guess I need to paint it the lighter color first, right?

2. When doing this, is an airbrush the right tool? I tried a test last night and found it very difficult to get good coverage and keep it even with an airbrush. Should I be using a spray gun or spray can instead?

3. Once the first color (actually colors - since I'm doing a burst) is done, I'll need to mask for the animal skin. I tried using masking tape and cutting it while on the guitar. Most of the time, it came out fine but once in a while, the knife cut into the wood. Is there a better way to go about this? I also thought of using frisket film but getting it cut and wrapping it around the sides of the body doesn't seem like much fun.

This is an area where I really need help - finishing is something that I need to study/practice more than the average person. For some reason, woodworking comes fairly easily to me but finishing is like taking chemistry lab all over again (lots of bad memories there,... flames, tall flames, people running, the smell of singed hair, ...) :DB) - I don't want to re-live that period of my life again. :D

Any tips from someone who has done something similar would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I think the only one I can help you out on is #3. The best stuff to work with in the blue 3M pinstriping tape. I get mine from a custom auto paint place just down the street. Hopefully, you've got something like that in your neck of the woods. It's really easy to do pretty extreme curves with it, you won't have to do any cutting. You can then fill in with regular blue 3M 1/2 or 3/4" masking tape. For your application, I wouldn't use the frisket either.

Hope that helps,

ED

Ok, here is the masking method I used to do this body

tigerbody.jpg

The first thing I did was to paint the base color on, there is actually a burst on this, it bursts from neon purple in the middle to neon pink, it just doesn't show well in the pictures. After I did that I shot a coat of clear on it, it's not necessary, but it sure helps in the next steps.

The items you need for the masking are:

1. 12" roll of Sign makers transfer tape, this is a low tack adhesive backed paper that sign makers use for transferring vinyl decals onto sign blanks

2. 3M green masking tape

3. Brand new #11 Exacto blades

4. Pencil

Steps:

1. Make sure your guitar body is free from imperfections and is clean.

2. Cover the entire front of the guitar body with a single piece of transfer tape. Trim the tape flush with the edges of the guitar body. One piece should do it, if it wasn't wide enough, just cover the difference with a strip of the 3m tape.

3. Lay a piece of the transfer tape into the comfort cut in the back of the guitar body, trim it so it fits nice on the cutaway.

4. Cover the rest of the back with another piece of transfer tape and trim flush with the edge.

5. Use the green 3M tape to cover the perimeter of the body. 3 strips is usually all thats needed, if you buy the really wide tape you can do it with one strip.

6. Take your pencil (use pencil, NOT pen, pen will bleed through the tapes and it smears easily) and draw on your tiger pattern.

7. Using NEW exacto blades, cut the transfer tape. Don't use much pressure, you can easily feel the difference between cutting the tape, and cutting into the body. If you are cutting into wood you are simply pressing WAY to hard.

8. Remove all the pieces of tape that you want paint to cover, and make sure all the edges are pressed down tight.

9. Paint your stripe color. If you want to do any texturing, shading etc, do it now while the tape is still on.

10. Remove the tape carefully, always pull any tape directly back on itself, never 90degrees from the surface, this will give you the cleanest edge with the least chance of lifting any other paint.

11. Clear as desired.

If there's any questions just let me know :D

Jeremy

i like that finish,lgm...

you and your bug crushers. get out of the '80's, man...no offense to LGM. the finish looks great, just not, well...modern...

Thanks LGM - that's a big help. I'll have to track down that transfer tape somewhere then.

As for the "modern" thing - I disagree. I like guitars with personality. I know ESP is still selling the M1 Tiger and with George using it as his main guitar nowadays, I'll bet that it sells now more than ever. The main thing is that it fits with what the player wants and the time period that it may be associated with really shouldn't matter. I am probably biased since I consider the 80's a golden age for guitarists. Also, what about those flames that so many people put on Tele's? Those look like they are straight out of the 50's but I know loads of people are into them now. I say - do what you feel like doing and to hell with when it was popular.

Thanks again LGM - you probably saved me another week of frustration. I really appreciated your help. That's a sweet looking finish. Don't be surprised if I end up asking for a quote after screwing around with this for a while.

i like that finish,lgm...

you and your bug crushers. get out of the '80's, man...no offense to LGM. the finish looks great, just not, well...modern...

you and your "oh that is sooooo last week" philosophy :D

you sound like the girls on "clueless"

"modern"yeah right B)

I know ESP is still selling the M1 Tiger and with George using it as his main guitar nowadays, I'll bet that it sells now more than ever.

I doubt that....nobody knows lynch nowadays....maybe in the USA it is better but at least here in Germany George Lynch is a nobody. I like his playing alot, but what did he play recently? His two solo albums are not that good in my opinion and besides that he does not play live much....

I know ESP is still selling the M1 Tiger and with George using it as his main guitar nowadays, I'll bet that it sells now more than ever.

I doubt that....nobody knows lynch nowadays....maybe in the USA it is better but at least here in Germany George Lynch is a nobody. I like his playing alot, but what did he play recently? His two solo albums are not that good in my opinion and besides that he does not play live much....

they sell quite well...i personally know 2 people who own one

Just a quick additional question on masking ..... What is the difference between the "Green" tape... and the 3M blue masking tape? I tried looking at 3M site ...but couldn't find anything... well I didn't try that hard either though...it's almost 3 am here... so my eyes are a little :D if ya know what I mean......

Is it just a color difference ? Do they have different glues on them.. making one stick better? Or do they taste different ? LOL... Kinda like a Apple martini vs. a Blue Velvet martini ? LOL...

I did buy a few rolls of the blue for a masking job.... now I'm scratching my head.. wondering if I bought the right stuff? Any ideas? Thanks....

Oh... and the "Tiger pink/purple sunburst" that LGM posted is awesome B) LGM is an airbrush guru ... 80's or not .... high hair or "mullet" . His work is top notch!

Now everyone go and put on some Tesla or Poison ..or maybe Ratt (hey..remember White Lion?) ...on their CD/ipod/mp3 ..or whatever the latest music player craze is and remember the 80's lol :D

I know that, here on the East Coast of the U.S., that 80s hard rock cadre (Cinderella, Dokken, Poison, etc.) still set out large clubs and small open air venues every summer. Lynch did tour in the past 4 months throughout the U.S. and his line of ESP guitars still sell (surprisingly) well in this region.

I think that, although Europe and Japan are more supportive of traditional hard rock, the "fire never died" over here, despite all the Linkin Park/Limp Biskit/Cookie Monster Metal that radio seems to embrace now.

Back on topic -- that is a great looking axe and an excellent tutorial. Thank you and congrats!

"here in Germany George Lynch is a nobody"
- harsh words - what does it take to be somebody in your area?

He just finished a tour here with Yngwie. After that, he did a series of clinics. He's been doing a tour about every 2 to 3 years and clinics as well. For the guitarists that became well known (famous?) when he did, I'd say he's been the most active of the group. He's currently working on a new amp called the Brahma by peavey that's been in the works four about 4 years. So , I guess he doesn't get to you area much but over here, he's been pretty busy. He mentioned at the clinic that he's doing all he can to get on the G3 tour - I hope it happens.

The show I saw (with the Yngwie tour) was incredible. He came out with a lot of aggression and kicked butt. I don't know which solo albums you are talking about but there are a couple that I really enjoy - Wicked Underground (Lynch/Pylson) and Sacred Groove. Sacred Groove has "I Will Remember" on it. It's an instrumental that is a true masterpiece. It's not much like his previous work in my opinion. Absolutely beautiful and inspiring. Tiera Del Fuego and Flesh and Blood are a couple of great songs from that record as well.

For a young guy like you, I guess I can understand why you might want to classify him as a nobody. I grew up on his music and don't see him that way at all.

Anyway - he's improved as a guitarist every year and will continue I'm sure. I'd expect him to be in the magazines and music store posters more later this year with his new amp. Maybe that will remove some of that "nobody" label? - to me, that stuff doesn't matter - I just love the music and am very glad he's still out doing tours and clinics.

LGM, that's a great guitar, I'm trying to fing a Kramer focus (1000-3000) to paint it like that but with a metalic blue as the main color and with black or the color shifting (duplicolor) purple. I don't know what the guy from Germany was talking about, I was in Germany until last March and there were a few "80's" group concerts, Manheim, Weisbaden, Wurzburg, Munchen, to name a few places, a relief from the TECHNO scene. Just because you don't look for them, doesn't mean they are not there.

Anywho, please keep the good work, this site has become my inspiration and gave me "cojones" to work on my guitars other than electronics and set ups.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU BUILDERS OUT THERE.....