Metal's out, need some new thoughts

Curtis P

Well, I love metal and all, nd I could play it, but I want to expand my horizions i guess is what you would say, so lookin for some artists here:

Blues

Rock and Roll (zeppelin, ac/dc)

spanish fingerpicking (yea right)

anything will be great

Thanks

Curtis

Blues!! Alright!! I'm actually a transformed punk so I can kinda relate to you..

Blues: SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Muddy Waters, and, of course, Mr. BB King.. Just to name a few.. B)

They aren't technical, but if you're looking for that, then the blues isn't really where to look..

Oh, and you can never go wrong with Jimi Hendrix.. But you know that already, don't you?? :D

Gotta go meet my prof now.. Later!!

Well, I love metal and all, nd I could play it, but I ...

Not before you learn how to palmmute properly boy-o B)

IMHO i think its a bit poor the way you come across there :D... sounds more like your giving up to me...

Dont get me wrong though, im all for branching out, so here goes..

It doesnt exactly fit into any of your categories, but im pretty sure you wouldnt mind anyway, but take a gander at some of the softer stuff by Opeth, very nice.

I would also like to second the notion of Stevie Ray and Kenny Wayne as well.

Who knows what sort of abuse I might cop as well.. but I honestly think you should look a bit at John Mayer... im a big fan of his guitar work, i think its a bit of a shame he has chosen to go almost soley into recording pop (soft)rock style stuff, cause he gets bagged so much, but he has a great style on acoustic and is an awesome blues guitarist to boot.

- Dan

Who knows what sort of abuse I might cop as well.. but I honestly think you should look a bit at John Mayer... im a big fan of his guitar work, i think its a bit of a shame he has chosen to go almost soley into recording pop (soft)rock style stuff, cause he gets bagged so much, but he has a great style on acoustic and is an awesome blues guitarist to boot.

Yeah, after all that watered-down Dave-Matthews-for-beginners had me convinced he was a lightweight, I saw him on Dave Chapelle's show, and it turns out the kid can PLAY!! Who knew? :D

dont' give up on metal mann but shoot branching out is fun.. whenever i get bored with the metal scene i try a new tuning or go do some new slap and tap acoustic harmonic type stuff..

i used to listen to a lot of vai, so from there i got into a bunch of jazz stuff and while listening to tribute i got into listening to a bunch of classical which lead to the whole neoclassical thing which took me back to yngwie..

right now theres some spanish evenescense type stuff i am listenign fromsome friends of mine on the board. over at arons

How many years have you been playing?

In the first several years, I really think it's important to try a variety but stick mainly to what you really like to listen to and what is fun for you to play. Don't try to force anything especially if your reasons for doing so are to try to impress others. I'm not saying that's you but I have seen other young guys try to get into playing blues when it's just not in them and it really shows in their playing.

There's something about blues nowadays that seems to somehow be the "cool" thing to claim as your inspiration. If it really is what moves you - excellent but if not, I'd say don't go there - stick to what you really enjoy.

Sorry for that rant - I don't think you are that type of guy but the topic reminded me of what I've seen in younger guitarists recently. Learning blues isn't a bad thing at all but sometimes the reasons for doing it seem a bit questionable.

I hope you find something that you can really connect with and pushes you into becomming a great guitarist (if you're not there already?) :D.

P.S. - I think metal is an excellent source for learning guitar - lots of technique, strength training, concentration, ... I've been playing Satriani, Lynch, Rhoads, type music for a long time and I still have a lot to learn from that style of music. It's not real hardcore metal but provides plenty of techniques, ideas to learn.

experiment with different tones, less distortion. Learn new chords. I've been de-metalizing for many years now. I stopped working on my lead shredding and learned new chords. Chords that use all fingers and even my thumb a lot. I even came up with some great chords on my own. They are probably chords that already exist, but maybe I would have never come across them if I wouldn't have experimented.

I can hardly stand the "set patterns", like blues, where there's this same old formula that they stick with. Bores the crap out of me. I've heard Johnny Lang a few times. Put me to sleep.

Young metal bands where they sing and play like they think they can rule the universe just make me laugh now. Being 35 makes it sound so naive to me.

I started out being influenced by Rhoads, Lynch, Lee, Campbell, etc, but now I'm hardly influenced by anyone other than myself.

ohh believe me, I aint givin up on metal, maybe came accross that way, but I aint, no way, I just wanted to branch out (yes I can palm mute now, lol)

I wanted to branch out to blues cuz I love the sound, I also want to do hendrix zeppelin and some more ACDC so I was just lookin for some new ideas and all that

Thanks

Curtis