Finished my Tele Thinline!

Hi!

This is my first completed order, a Thinline copy. It was made around customers neck, I did the body and assembly. I was hoping to do the bound f-hole, but he decided against it in the last minute.

ash body, hollow

pine top

bound with home made strips of binding

usual thinline wiring

2 handwound Fedor Chernishev PAFs

handmade pickguard

The finish is nitro, brushed, I bought a HVLP for 110V, and now have to fit a new trafo for 220V :D

4 coats of clear, sanding every two coats

3 coats of color (nitro, thinner, few drops of Stew-Mac Vintage Amber), light sanding (800)

3 coats of clear, wet sanding flat, buffing

Hope you like it, any comments, critique or questiones wellcome!

Construction pics at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/gpcustomguitars

BR

Goran

Thanks guys! I'll be nervous about it until the moment the owner takes it home I guess :D

The same customer also ordered a hybrid jazz bas a few days back, only necktrough, with block markers on bound rosewood fboard - should be fun! I'm not making much money on this, but it is getting me out of the closet, so it's OK...

Sound is fine, that particular piece of pine has been hanging around the shop for a while now (~8 years), and I got it quite dry already - the plate was ringing like a bell when I thicknessed it prior to glueing. Still have some of it - used half of scraps to bookmatch a sort-of F mandolin top, and have enough left for another one. The stripes are VERY hard, took some time to sand it flat.

Sounds nice, resonant...pups are great, Chernishov does a great job!

Drak: sorry, didn't get the score question, I'm not a native speaker, so I have to stop and think on a phrase every now and then - it's my 10th finished guitar (have another 5 or so in different stages in the shop) if that's what you had in mind.

skibum5545: I agree on the perloid pguard completely, but it was customers call, and he was on a budget - plain white pickguard I made costs next to nothing...

Drak: sorry, didn't get the score question, I'm not a native speaker, so I have to stop and think on a phrase every now and then - it's my 10th finished guitar (have another 5 or so in different stages in the shop) if that's what you had in mind.

No, I just meant I liked it a WHOLE lot. :D

Looking forward to the firebird pics - It better be good after all that time B)

I'm biting my nails waiting for wood to arrive for my next build. It'll probably be my first commision, though exactly who gets it is unknown yet - I've had 2 requests for LP'esque single cuts, so I'll build it and see who comes up with the money first! I hate waiting for parts/lumber to arrive, I end up pacing round the house instead of sleeping in the morning :D

BTW - your English is good enough that I'd always assumed you were a native speaker who'd moved to Russia (like Michael Walker). I doubt I could pull the same trick on a Russian BBS!

Setch: Ok, now I have a chip on my shoulder B) Now where's that 1500 grit...?

BTW, this commision thing has made me more nervous than the actual making of the guitar, try to skip that when selling yours :D When all dust settles, I'd like to start an LP, I already have all the materials needed... About the language, :D, thanks! I speak russian OK, but my typing gives me up, I couldn't spell correctly to save my life!

albertop: Great! Feels kinda funny knowing that someone else will use those plans :D Make sure you post some pics! Also, no neck angle drawn on those, so if you want to use a TOM or something like that make sure you re-draw the angle. I did that on mine since I'm using a wraparound tailpiece.