Finishing over signatures.

On monday i'll be going to meet all the G3 guys. (i won aftershow tickets !!!! :DB) ) So i have a guitarbody stripped down to the wood and sanded smooth with about 400 grit paper. I'm gonna get the G3 people to sign it with a permanent marker.

1. Will the marker react to whatever finish i use?

2. What finishes could i do so that i can still see the signatures?

On monday i'll be going to meet all the G3 guys. (i won aftershow tickets !!!! B):D ) So i have a guitarbody stripped down to the wood and sanded smooth with about 400 grit paper. I'm gonna get the G3 people to sign it with a permanent marker.

1. Will the marker react to whatever finish i use?

2. What finishes could i do so that i can still see the signatures?

Say hi to the boys for us :D

If they sign the bare wood - it will bleed in and look like crap in 3 months..

You need to have the body sealed first. Use a Vinyl Sanding sealer. This is also what you will want to experiment with to coat over it... TEST ON SCRAPS FIRST!! Nitro and nitro based sanding sealer will both eat a sharpie alive. You could go to the art store and buy a paint pen...but I still wouldn't use any nitro/poly topcoat directly on it.

They are all nice guys - I have met them a few times. Steve's guitarist is a friend of mine...he got to play my Guitar of the Month a few weeks back..

I did the signature on the headstock of my guitar with one of those silver/gold gel pens, let it dry for a while then laquered it with plastikote acrylic laquer, no problems there.

But do: Leave the pen to dry for a while

Don't spray too thickly or it will run and look crappy.

Do: Take more than one pen because they are tempramental.

I did write over black laquer though, don't know if it would work on bare wood....

Party hard :D

Forgot to mention that I've had good luck sealing signatures in using "EF Lacquer"...waterbased stuff I got at Rockler for a piece of furniture. Not a huge fan of Waterbased lacquers..but this actually worked well. I used the sanding sealer then a satin topcoat. Came out well with both a paintpen and a sharpie.