fake headstock

OK, I know this is crazy, but a friend wants me to try this. He has a steinberger type guitar and wants me to fashion a fake, removable headstock for it. I have a few ideas, but I thought i'd throw it out here to see if anyone else has heard of such a thing.

George

the only thing that springs to mind is to make a bracket which screws on with the screws which hold the head string retainer on.

It would work, but if you hit it on something you might screw up the threads holding the string retainer on the neck.

As an alternative, as it is purely for show you could make it out of a material you would not normally associate with headstocks.....like rubber? or hard foam?

Personally, i will leave my headless......headless ;-)

Phil

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/phil_catnell/Stratus_full_view.jpg]My Webpage

Moses made (maybe still do) necks that work the same as headless necks (with the strings held just beyond the nut) but with a blank, "functionless" headstock. No tuners, no nuthin, on the headstock.

In your situation I would find a doll's head and stick it on there. Preferably a doll that blinks it's eyes and starts talking to you, when you least expect it.

Add a rare earth magnet, inlaid into the end of the fake headstock. It will not come off easily. The steinberg hardware will also suit this idea.

wow, now that's really good, such a "why didn't i think of that?" idea :D

although jehle's idea sounds funny too... heh, just cause it's velcro!!!!! lol hahahha...

Add a rare earth magnet, inlaid into the end of the fake headstock. It will not come off easily. The steinberg hardware will also suit this idea.

Pure graphite supposedly conducts electricity. But I don't know if it would transfer that strong magnetic power through the neck and affect the neck pickup. If the magnet is touching metal which is touching the strings, I'd be worried about what problems that might cause.

I love the velcro idea - when I play live that would be great - I get asked all the time 'is it a sawn off?' & 'when are you going to finish it'

oh yes, drummers ask how the f**k do you tune it ;-)

as for balance, I have no problem as the top horn is much longer than a strat the strap position sits nice - & I dont bang the head on anything (like I did before when I originally built the guitar it had a Jackson style head on it)

Phil

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you for a few new ideas. I was thinking about useing the screws in the end of the neck, but now I may just have to go with the velcro idea. Its worth a shot, and can't really mess anything up. We had planned on doing a full on fake with tuners and all, and doing a lefty strat style headstock (my friend is not lefty so that will add to the gag) I'll try to post before and after pics. For the record its a Burnside Crossbow by Guild. Interesting looking guitar to say the least, but sounds great.

George