Neck work done today.

Did a lot of work on one of the bass necks today.

The first thing i did was radius the fretboard. This was a royal pain in the bum, and took about 40 minutes of sweaty hard labor, but it's necessary. After that, I had to reslot the frets in the fretboard, because they were way to shallow for any fretwire. Then at last I did the inlays. I had a different original plan for the inlays, but being an idiot, i messed up and had to compromise. The inlay is a G for those who don't see it (im having bad luck with people noticing what it is, if i had known it didnt immediately look like a G i would have changed it.)

Anyway. here are pics.

fb1.jpg

This pic shows the birdseye MUCH better than the other. The figure is really quite stunning in person.

fb2.jpg

Just a little while ago i shaped the back of the neck (its still not finished as you can see in some places in the pictures. This i will finish in the next couple of days. The volute is also not fully shaped as the headstock is still in a rough cut form. I also fretted the neck. Imagine my shock and disappointment when I came up 1 fret short. Blast it. This will have to wait as i do not have more bass fretwire.

neck1.jpg

neck2.jpg

Comments welcome as always.

The only reason it doesnt jump out and say "I am the letter G" is because of the angle. If you had angled it the other way, I think it would have worked out.

Great inlay and neck. I am too chicken and impatient to do inlays. My fretboards will forever be dotless. :D

so you didn't really notice the G until after you fretted? cause you could have just kept going with it... like this..

inlay-fixed.jpg

Of course it will still easily pass as a cursive "G"

interesting work, i'm not crazy about hte colour of the headstock, but it will of course depend on the body colour and/or if you're painting it/both...

Nice!!

I love birdseye also.

Did anyone else see an optical illusion with respect to the sides of the neck in this pic?

neck1.jpg

I doubt it's really doing this but it looks like the edges curve instead of a straight line. Must be something about the background of the pic or something? It seems to happen right around where the G starts.

Anyway, you've got guts inlaying into that fretboard for your first inlay job. I give you lots of credit for that!!!

Looking forward to seeing more...

Edit:

I edited this - I think I came across as sounding too critical with that optical illusion thing - I was just wondering if that pic played tricks with anyone else's eyes. I know hoiw you feel about not being happy with the inlay but I think that happens to a lot of us - never quite perfect enough. It did look like a G to me when I first saw it if that's any consolation.

haha thanks dave, the "optical illusion" may in fact be catalysed by the fact that i haven't finished the headstock shaping yet. Because of this the first fret widens a little bit at the nut (this is because my belt sander is too wide to flatten out that area and not ruin the curve of the bottom of the headstock at the same time.) I have to go back with the sanding attachment for my dremel, and clean it up.