can this be done?

Are you sure that's not one of those aluminum guitars? There was a company trying to make aluminum guitars and they had all those holes to reduce the weight. It was pretty sill in my opinion. You could do it, but I think keeping it clean might be a pain! As for how it's done, just get a drill press and some speed boring bits.

didnt steve vai have a guitar with holes in it once?

yes, I think it was metallic or candy apple green. Not so many holes, and they were bigger holes, maybe not perfectly round. It might have been stolen when he had almost all his guitars stolen before his 'Performance guitar' and Ibanez deal.

I wouldn't advise doing a wood top with so many holes like the one in that pic, unless the back of the guitar was thicker than normal (like double than normal thick)

I don't know if I got the same picture but I don't think they are holes... it looks like a carved top with bubbles coming out of it! they can't be holes because the guitar is being pictured in a black backgroung and there is light on the "holes" when it should be blacked out. It is the reflection of the light being used to light up the studio for the shot, like a flash. Like this dragon, only that it's bubbles or balls.

It's quite obvious that they are holes.

It looks to be a hollowed out body (frame, if you will), with a top over it.

You can clearly see the light going through the holes, casting shadows on the inside.

Another giveaway is that they used a clear piece of plastic to attach the controls to, as the holes in the body didn't line up properly.

Which they could have done, if they wanted to...

Now, to call them "soundholes"...

I don't think there is much of any kind of sound being generated in that body.

Just imagine an acoustic guitar with no top on it, with the bridge attached to a block, which is attached to the sides...

If there isn't a "chamber" to really create a sound in, what kind of sound do you end up with...?

:D

Ok, I finally got to my house and can look at this better... yeap it look like holes! It really looked like bubbles on the cheap ss-a monitor at work. And they way the over imposse the guitar over the black made the illussion of ball shape more since if the back ground was black it would had shown thru the holes. I DON"T LIKE IT.... Looks way cheap.

Are you sure that's not one of those aluminum guitars? There was a company trying to make aluminum guitars and they had all those holes to reduce the weight. It was pretty sill in my opinion. You could do it, but I think keeping it clean might be a pain! As for how it's done, just get a drill press and some speed boring bits.

I don't think it could be one of those, I remember the Rogue Aluminators all being hardtail, maybe someone took the idea and enhanced it a bit?