Strat pickups...

erikbojerik

I've got a strat project in the works, and I'm wondering if you guys have any strong feelings about one type of strat pup over another. I've got stock Fender pups, Lace Holy Grails and Lace Chrome Domes going right now, but I've heard lots of good things about Bill Lawrence and Lindy Fralin pups as well. Any pointers?

Here is a link to the Lace thread that should answer your questions as well as Biohazards'.

Check out Mark, and e-mail him, and look up his threads, it's all there.

PS, aren't Holy Grails and Chrome Domes the same thing?

PPS, everyone makes clean and hot models, you could talk this subject over for days, so what exactly are you looking for?

Here is a link to the FDP's pickup section part of the forum

And Here is a pickup comparison thread by, you guessed it, SMark.

This should keep you busy for awhile. :D

Thanks (again) Drak. I hadn't been on the FDP for about 6 months, that is a great thread. Highly recommended to anyone who cares at all about Strat tone.

You're correct on the Holy Grails & Chrome Domes, the only difference being that the former have exposed poles. I tried them both in the same Strat, the only real difference being in the EQ (which I could easily compensate on my amp).

I'm coming to the conclusion that among the various "vintage-style" Strat pups, the tonal differences are rather small compared to the differences between the various axes I'm currently working on. I can certainly hear the differences in SMark's clips, they are significant but small in the grand scheme of things (which I was not certain about before hitting that thread).

EMG-DG20 - accept no substitutes! Unless you're building for a SRV fan who actually thinks a Tube Screamer sounds good with a blackface Twin, then go for Fralins or Rio Grandes. :D

Lace makes some nice pickups as well, if you like the 90s Fender Strat sound (I don't particularly - a bit homogenized for my tastes, but nice and quiet), they should work great as well.

I also recommend EMG's. I have a guitar sitting around right now waiting for a white EMG-S (stupid special orders!).It has one only EMG-SA in it. I like strat tones but use the hybrid approach (two pups arranged tele style). The pro series is a good way to go (but does anyone think that ivory on white pearloid look stupid?) I have the EXG in my guitar but didn't notice too much of a difference. maybe it's just me. just took some texas specials out of my strat and I think they were ok. If never tried laces but I thought about them before going with the EMGs. I still think EMG's are the best. but that's my opinion. It's your guitar you do what you want. :DB)

For a straight strat sound, I would have to go with the fender texas specials. They are dumb old single coils, but they are hotter and have better magnets in them. They sound every bit as good as my '77 strat! :D

ditto

hey Bill - you're famous! Srewmac quote you in their latest international catalogue!

For a straight strat sound, I would have to go with the fender texas specials.  They are dumb old single coils, but they are hotter and have better magnets in them.  They sound every bit as good as my '77 strat!  :D

ditto

hey Bill - you're famous! Srewmac quote you in their latest international catalogue!

B):D and :D

I haven't seen it yet. That's too cool. :D

What does Yngwie use?

These Days

DiMarzio YJM pickups in the neck and bridge positions.

Old Days

DiMarzio HS-3 pickups in the neck and bridge positions.

I doubt this is absolute in all cases.

yeap, the YJM is the same HS-3 but winded for Yngwie's Specs.

And I will recomend any combination of the EMG custom series. It lets the guitar sing better, since the magnet pull is minimun because of the smaller magnets used... the DG-20 is awsome, I have the KH-21, since I like Humbuckers better, but you can match what ever combination you want, call them up and they will send it wired, the only conection that you have to make is the output jack...