My first eBay Dud, now what?

Howdy fellas,

Well, I'm sorely disappointed. Thought I won a pretty okay body on eBay for the money. What I bid on was This

What I got was this:

Strat_Body.jpg

The fact that its not the same body really ticks me off but I'm wondering if I can salvage the real problem. In the following picks, you can see in the middle of the body in the pickup cavs and the trem route, the glue join seems to have split.

Yes you can actually see light through the body. :D

Maybe the wood was still wet or something...I dunno.

Strat_Front.jpg

Strat_Back.jpg

What can I do to fill this gap? I thought of flooding it with wood glue and masking the backside to keep it in there..but I'm not sure....any suggestions?

Thanks

Brian

Man, I hate to hear that. Did you get to talk to the seller about the split joint? I would try to get him to take it back if he would, if not then not sure what you can do but fix it. I've never dealt with a problem like that before, and I'm not really sure you could just spread some glue in the crack and clamp it. I bet the only way you can fix it is to heat up the joint so it comes apart, scrape off the excess glue, square off the edges again, and glue it back together. Just a suggestion, but like I've said, I've never had to deal with that sorta problem before so I'm not really qualified to guide you through this. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but I'd really press to get him to take it back, since it was misleading in a way.

Matt

I've got an email in to the seller basically saying I'm not pleased and haven't heard back. Will take steps on this.

GF...if you don't have an absolute solution, then I'm screwed! :D You do great work and I simply don't have the facility or skill to do what you can yet.

Lucky, good recommendations and agree, is this worth putting that much effort into. I'm buying bodies cause I can't (or haven't) do that much work to get the body in working order.

I'm sick! I knew it was basswood but am okay with it, and H/S/S body was working for me and i like light bodies and am a shreader and get most of my tone from pickups and gear.

I'll keep ya'll posted

what makes you think it is not the same body?

if you look closely at the ebay pic you can see the same glue overspill and crack and the same placements of the glue lines in the body

it is the same body i think,but he just took a poorly detailed pic to sell it.you still got ripped off though,it is in worse shape than what you can tell in the pic.

my guess is not properly dried wood was used and it split while drying...the glue overspill suggests that he tried to fix it unsuccessfuly

i think you would be wasting your time trying to fix that body,especially if the wood was not properly dried.try to get a refund and if you can't,leave negative feedback

upon further looking...i think i agree that it is not the same body at all :D

Yeah it's kinda hard to say. When I first looked at the picture I thought that it was the same body also, and that he doctored it up with Photoshop or something. But after looking real close to both of them there was other things that stood out that made me think they wasn't the same. For one thing, the marking in the neck pocket looks different. I say ask for a refund!!!!!!!

upon further looking...i think i agree that it is not the same body at all :D

Ya it's not. I didn't take a pick of the full backside. The pick on eBay you can see a small knot on the back toward the lower cutaway between the glue seams. That's a cosmetic I noticed before purchased and figured I would solid color anyway so I noticed that right away that it was different.

What I sent to the seller is:

"It arrived today. Body looks like complete crap

compared to the one in the picture. I wasn't aware it

wasn't going to be the body in the picture?

Especially the large wood separation in the middle."

His response was:

"Actually that is a very clean body. If you want to send it back I will

refund your purchase price. Let me know what you would like to do. "

I'm going to respond and ask to clarify his definition of 'purchase price'. I paid 32.00 for the body and 18.00 for shipping. Actual shipping was 7.49. If I have to pay to ship it back to get the 32.00 back I'll out of pocket ~26.00 and have nothing to show for it. :D

To be continued.....

You will be loosing money, but if you can't fix it then you will be loosing a lot more...

good luck with whatever you decide to do!, I will sure give a bad report to ebay for the sale, even if he is going to refund the money, this kind of stuff shouldn't be happening. If you didn't know nothing about guitars, you might have keep it and the guy will have the $$ and laugh at you...

IF you have not left feedback yet, don't...

If I where you, I reply and say.

"I see no mention of the fact that the body was split or damaged in any way in the auction. It also seems obvious that this is not the same body pictured in the auction because the marking in the neck pocket is different. Perhaps I was sent the wrong body by mistake?

I would like to have my full payment, the price of the item plus the shipping charges, refunded back to my paypal account. I'm going to loose money by sending this broken body back to you, so I think that this is a fair deal to you to honor that request.

I do not want to leave negative feedback, but I will if I have to. I will also use the buyer protection provided by eBay and PayPal becuase the auction was clearly not an accurate description of the product received. Before we have to go through all that, I hope that my notice of defect, a full refund of $50, and my returning the defective body back to you will suffice.

Please advise."

Oh, I love bad ebay transactions. :D

Hehehe...I'm a bit more dramatic when it comes to losers like this.

I've had my fair share of strange transactions over the years, and usually I'm very very polite, forgiving, and easy to deal with.

BUT, when dealing with 8-balls like this guy...

Since he falsly advertised it, he pays for shipping back.

Make SURE that you square ALL the details BEFORE you send it back.

State all the details of who gets what, make sure he agrees to it -completely and fully-, GET HIS PHONE NUMBER AND CALL HIM, THEN you might send it back if all those requirements are met.

You feel bad now? Wait till he's got your money AND the guitar body...that equals chump squared :D

If he misrepresented the body already, then I wouldn't trust him further than I could spit. Trying to play the 'nice guy' with someone who is not 'nice' can cost you.

If it all seems too much bother to go thru (notifying e-Bay, neg feedback, sending letter and waiting for acknowledgement, etc.)...

..then just deal with what you have and get over it.

Reason I say this is I've seen these posts -ad infinitum- over the years 'I got screwed on e-Bay, wah wah wah, what do I do', and after the guy got all the sympathy and suggestions, he never really followed thru, he usually completely waffled and did what he would have done had he never asked on a forum...so I chalk those guys up to whiners. If you're not ready to play ball when you get screwed, have a seat on the bench basically.

Not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

I have NO pity for a__holes who BLATANTLY rip people off on e-Bay and I'm not scared to threaten them with litigation, e-Bay, anything it takes, because he's just going to do it again to someone else if you don't do something to stop him and send up a flare for everyone else.

These guys count on the fact that the buyer is either -too scared- or -too lazy- or -too nice- or -just doesn't want to get involved- enough to do much of anything about the situation.

Hell, pull a phone number of a lawyer out of your local phone book and tell this guy he's representing you, send him the name, address, phone number, and tell him if he sent you anything but what was pictured, he is facing possible mail fraud (which it is, and is a -felony-), and see if he doesn't want to play ball then.

Get your money back, AND neg the crap out of him, AND report him to e-Bay.

What he did was so wrong it's not even remotely funny.

If he senses thru your e-mails that you are a weak limb and will bend with the breeze, you're -lucky- to get just the cost of the body back from him.

Be tough.

Be firm.

Be comitted.

Take absolutely no BS from him.

Don't touch the body any further than you have.

...Or just toss it in the trash and forget about it.

I've done that too and sometimes it's the best option.

You're call, but decide one way or the other and follow thru, don't wallow in the middle, that's the worst decision. He'll swallow you like that.

Oh, document all correspondance and phone calls. B)

Do you know why people call con men con men?

Because if they looked or acted like 'crooks' to begin with, they'd never fool anybody, and not make any money at their craft. :D

Great advise, I was gonna suggest a fix, but get ALL your money back before sending it back. A word about neg feedback, I got what was called a retalitory feedback after leaving a neg for scum who never paid and never contacted me...went through all the Ebay channels, so I neg'd him. Immediately he negs me, calling me a rip off. I can't remove his neg without paying Ebay for some legal BS, not worth it...it's a crap shoot at best, just beware for some **** if this punk is who he really is, a con man who got caught and just may have the last word...I hate punks like that. Good luck.

Finally the too be continued..

I sent to the seller:

"The very clean body statement isn't what I would call

truthful unless the wood separation happened during

shipping which I really doubt. Here's a couple picks

of the split:

http://www.fullshred.net/guitarproject/Strat_Front.jpg

and

http://www.fullshred.net/guitarproject/Strat_Back.jpg

I don't know if I can fill this split and the body

stay stable and not split in half once string and trem

tension is a factor.

The fact that it's not the body pictured and wasn't

stated in any way it would be any other body then the

one pictured.

You mentioned 'refund your purchase price', does this

include shipping costs I paid as well? Shipping was

nearly 3x what you paid according to the postage on

the package.

I do not want to leave negative feedback, because

certainly I'll receive negative feedback though I've

held up my end of the deal promptly.

I hope that my notice of defect will be a full refund

of $50, plus the my cost of shipping to encourage

positive feedback or a replacement of equivalent

quality a body I believe I purchased will work as

well. I will return the defective body back to you on

the condition I'm refunded first. I do what I say!

Please advise."

Yes Jehle, I used some of your wording to a degree.

His first response:

"I will refund you the body and half the postage. that is the best I

will do. I am sorry if it does not meet your standards. I will do it when

I receive the body. I would have to be nuts to do it before I get it.

Its your call. do what you would like to do."

His second response seven minutes later:

"Actually, I was just looking at the body and there is no way I sent

it out like that. I would have used it for kindling first. No wonder

you were not happy. I think some postal guys had a little too much fun

with it in their annex. Damn Post office! GIVE ME A COUPLE OF DAYS

AND i WILL REFUND YOU 50 BUCKS. ITS A PRETTY BLATANT CRACK AND i DONT

BLAME YOU FOR NOT WANTING IT. SORRY ABOUT THAT IT WAS DEFINITELY NOT THAT

WAY WHEN I SENT IT OUT BUT I LIKE TO SEND OUT GOOD STUFF. AGAIN

APOLOGIES TO YOU AND JUST KEEP IT FOR KINDLING."

Sounding good! Looks like this guy might be decent after all. On the other hand, he might be "car dealer decent", so don't let him off the hook yet; he probably realizes he can't win this one.

Just make sure he follows through and you're set!

And what's with that Postal Service BS? :D:DB)

Ya, I know, don't buy it for a second either. It really appears to be a factory 2nd or worse that split long before shipping...anywho...I've got everything saved as email history and waiting for the refund. If it happens I'll give him a positive cause he did the right thing.

Too be continued..again..

Maybe this shouldn't be in the Solid body area..granted it started out that way cause I asked a question..?!?