Appletree

apple tree..., though it might work, you might want to go for something more traditional as a first, but im sure it has been used before and the reason it isnt used is that it had some problems with it, but the only way to find out is to try. also it would be good to find some physical (strenght wise) charecteristics of apple tree, and if there are any known lumber problems with it (grain splits easily, etc)

experioment thats the beauty of building guitars, experimentation, you might be on to a knew big thing in guitar building, and it lets you bring the meaning of "finding your sound" to a new level

Might be interesting, I've never heard of anyone using it.

I know a few years back I was concidering using Orange tree wood for a neck.

The only way I could though was to first find a very old Orange tree and those are not typical in Florida unless it is in the wild because the farms usually let them grow a limited number of years before replacing them.

Never took it past the initial idea though :D

Applewood is strong enough to use as flooring. It may not be that dense, like a hard maple, but it may work with an extra carbon fibre or two and that truss rod.

Just my guess.

I'm an oldie (not a noobie), and I didn't search for this (so there), but is there a chart showing the sort of wood density and strength for the different types?

sorry to disappoint everybody, but I only saw the pieces a couple minutes ago, and they are way to small to make a guitar. I remember the trees as being big, but i guess its the dilusion of youth... everything seemed so much bigger then. its like 30cm or 12" across so no appletreeguitar this time around. but I will check with the local lumbermill if they have anything in storage.

its not boards, its a log... we cut down the trees from our backyard... and i think i know why there's so little use of appletree in guitars, its so crooked and bent. But

I was wondering, since it has so big pores, is it going to be soft, or is that not a part of how soft the wood is? and since i have to use grainfiller, would i still be able to get the figures of the wood, or would the grainfiller cover it up?

We have an old plum tree in the back corner of the yard that we are planning to take down in the fall. Its a gnarly old bugger, and the wood is VERY dense. But the odds of finding a "clean" length of wood for any guitar building is pretty remote. Either way, I will investigate when the time comes.

Might be worth going for a bolt on and building the neck (if you're building the neck that is) out of something more traditional. That way, if apple wood is duff, you could build yourself a new body and everything will be happy in the world again B) . It'll be even easier to make a new body if you make some good templates :D