Ormsby Guitars - Multiscale Custom Eight String

Another Multiscale , this time an eight string. Started off as just a project for something to do, ended up being purchased by one of my endorsee's, and then played by Meshuggah.

Body: Swamp Ash

Neck: Maple

Fretboard: Ziricote

Electrics: EMG 808, volume, tone, + red button of death

Hardware: Gotoh machineheads and custom made bridge pieces

Other: matching headstock and cavity cover, Splayed Scallops

P1000035.jpg

IMG_5494.jpg

P1000036.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I really like that little arc of scalloping on the high strings. Tuning is F# to E, I assume? What are the scale lengths? Is the headstock scarfed or cut from one piece? Either way, I like it. Too many builders are lazy and use a square scarf on their fanned guitars when it should be angled.

So very nice looking, gotta love the colored grain fill. Whats tripping me out is the grain line matching so well on a two piece. When I look at these last few photos, I keep having to look at the last page to make sure its the same wood. The grain lines matched so well after the carve it looks like a one piece no question. I don't know whether you tried to match up the look via slip matching in a specific way or what, but wow, seriously looks like a one piece in these pictures, very cool and you just gave me a great idea for my best friends wifes guitar which needs to be super light anyways. J

Edited by jmrentis

Thanks for noticing :D

I had to 'invent' some grain to make it match so well.

Here is before, and after.

P1000258.jpg

P1000260.jpg

I did this on both the front and back (and a little on the sides). In some areas where the grain was very light, i kinda helped that along too.

Thats what you have to do to stay on top :D

how do you invent grain? with a stanley knife? I think i may have to do this on my guitar when i get round to restarting it! might go a sort of grey colour to make it look sort of dirty!

Edited by joshvegas

Wow! As I said in the last build you posted with the "Splayed Scallops", everytime I see a new guitar from you, you have come up with something I've never seen anywhere else and its done well and generally an ingenious improvement. Even without those things I don't see you having any problem staying on top, but yeah, those types of technique and improvements put you above and beyond by a fair amount. Very cool technique there with the grain lines, made a significant difference in the final look no question. Amazing how you think up stuff like that. Well, nice stuff Perry and very cool technique. Jason