Guitar Of The Month For December

Guitar of the Month for December  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ottovola: Really well done flame job, but flames just aren't my thing. That takes nothing from the quality job done there though.

andyt: Extremely cool paint job and it just works with the body contouring perfectly. Got my vote this month!

Lil Petrucci: I can't really see enough of it to judge properly unfortunately...

SwedishLuthier: Beautiful work... Excellent body contouring and binding. There is nothing to not like there...

low end fuzz... Outstanding workmanship but I think there are just too many artistic conflicts for me with the wood varieties and the straight flame maple right next to the curves of the body waistline. It is certainly an interesting piece and I do like it a lot though...

kpcrash: A buddy of mine did a really dark Warmoth body much like that one. It is one of those that photos don't really do it justice.

rdiquattro: This came really close to getting my vote. Everything about it is just plain tasty!

Hydroqeoman: That is a VERY fine example of a special Tele... I especially like the back and the detail in the headstock. Excellent work, man!

Kenny: Beautiful woods there and excellent work on the body contouring. It looks super-comfortable to play!

Me (Boggs): I vowed to never vote for myself. The chambering makes it next to impossible to really do much contouring, but they are super-comfortable to play anyway. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it.

jer7440: The last picture I feel shows it off the best. Those fret markers are cool, too! Beautiful piece!

ottovola - HOTSTUFF

Very striking guitar. I'm glad the pickup covers come off though.

andyt - Goldy

Rich looking. I'd prefer if the pickups matched. Nice swirl though.

Lil Petrucci - the RobEllis Aslan

Tele and Strat sound? Should be nice and versatile.

SwedishLuthier - The MorningStar SC Classico

Loved the contrasting red and white. Lovely finish, and all that chrome from the bigsby and pickups looks great. A top contender. I wish there was more of a curve or angle to the body shape where it returns to the top of the neck.

low end fuzz - Grant's Spalted Guitar

Like the wooden tail piece, but I think there's too many different wood grains all mixed in - makes it look too busy. Love to see that fingerboard on a plainer guitar.

kpcrash - The UGLY STICK

Sorry mate - but yeh, it's as you say - ugly :D Still if it feels good to play - great.

rdiquattro - AB1

Nice finish and shape. I'm not sure how well the f-holes go with the modern shape for me.

Hydrogeoman - Erebus model "T"

I was going to say I'd have like double binding on it, but the shot of the back as it is, looks stunning. I love tele's. The upper part of the front (where your elbow goes when playing) looks a touch bare. Maybe a logo or a strip might break up the wood grain? Anyway, one of the nice ones this month for me.

Kenny - the Kaye Sol

Lovely black and blonde combo between the hardware and the maple on the front colouring. Not sure about the rear control cover. Did you try plain black? Anyway, another top contender this time.

Boggs - alves/Cuban mahogany chambered RockBeach Cicada

Very unique. I liked the positioning of the output jack.

jer7440 - His second

Liked the headstock. Thought it was a bit orangey for me - maybe darken the pickup rings and volume knob?

In the end, I gave it to Swedishluthier's because of the colour contrast, finish, and chrome.

i meant to enter this month, must ofslipped my mind :D

ottovola - i love the choice of material, looks really nice. I am impressed with the pattern match on the covers but am glad they are removeable as they will be interfering with the pickups magnetic field - hence the change in sound you get with them on.

andyt - i am not sure i would play it, but the finish blows me away. a very clean swirl and the fact its over gold leaf makes it more impressive. i voted for it because it looks better done than most swirls i have seen, and the fact it was done on a budget too - i think you need to do another one with some youtube videos!!

Lil Petrucci - better pics are needed

SwedishLuthier - now this is one i would play. the only thing that stopped me voting for it was the squareness of the upper bout, something about it doesnt quite work for me but it is at least original and i am sure the more i see it the more i will like it

low end fuzz - ??? i like the concept and its certainly been done well but the end result is obviously a little messy looking. i wonder how it would look with a darker scratchplate?? I think it might give the shape a little more definition

kpcrash - i wouldnt say its ugly - just underdone!!! I have done a couple of blackbursts over spalted tops that had a similar look to this. get the finish sorted out and maybe change the chrome covers for black or reliced ones and it could be quite nice!

rdiquattro - this is top class stuff, very neat and very classy... almost not sure if filtertrons are right for it but it is at least different... a few more original touches and i would have voted for it

Hydrogeoman - I love the walnut - its almost dark enough for a rosewood tele look, which has got to be a good thing. I must admit i prefer my tele's a bit plainer.. a non-pearloid scratchplate would have sold this for me

Kenny - very clean and organic looking, i really like the carving and the naturalness of the woods. Not so keen on the square volute or the size of the cavity cover

boggs - these are growing on me, the more i see the design the more i like it, not sure there is enough to draw me to vote for it against some of the others

jer7440 - the carve looks good and those inlays add an interesting touch. the orange is also a bit much for me but i think it would maybe work fine against a darker fretboard

ottovola - Nice job with the material finish. I'm also not sure I love the pickup covers.

andyt - That gold swirl is sick! I like it a lot.

lil petrucci - I agree with the others....need better pics. At least a shot of the whole guitar. I like the metal pick guard a lot.

SwedishLuthier - Great guitar. Classic lines, but still your own. I love the multiply binding.

Low end fuzz - Looks like a nice guitar, but its a little busy for my taste.

Kpcrash - The only thing I would like to see different would maybe be a smoother looking finish on the body...maybe some grainfilling with the tru-oil...?

rdiquattro - Love that finish. That burst is very well done....beautiful.

hydrogeoman - That is a classy looking tele. I like your take on the tele headstock.

Kenny - That is a smooth looking axe! Gorgeous quilt . I also would have preferred a more rounded volute.

Boggs - Your work looks extra clean...but I am still not a big fan of the shape.

Ottovola- Neat flame job on that guitar and really like the effort in getting the pickups involved as well. Really a great job on the refinish, keep those project rolling.

Andyt-This is one of two I struggled with for my final vote. It is truly inspiration and has had a tremendous response from so many. Just looking at the thread kicked off hundreds of ideas in my head right away, I think it was the clear and black swirl that I find the most interesting. No doubt the foil as a base is awesome, but just the idea to use that foil base and use a clear and black swirl just blew me away, such a cool idea with so many potential combinations. This didn't end up getting my vote in the end, but it was just a coin flip essentially, I don't feel this was any less than the one I voted for. I'm not even a fan of the shape or carve personally, but the whole finishing process was exceptional, great work.

Lil Petrucci- Looks very nice, but its just tough to get a good overall feel for the project. From the pics I see it looks great, it would have been possibly better to have a few pics that show the entire front and back. The detailed photos look great though, looks like a very nice instrument and I love what you did with the ash, very nice result there. All in all great build, look forward to seeing more.

Swedish-Very nice project here, really diggin' the color and design of the project. The fretboard and inlays work great here and I really like the upper and lower horns. The only thing that I wasn't big on, on a personal level, is the length of the guitar. I have no idea how well this particular design would work if you shortened it, but it just seemed a tad long for my tastes, but I love the design, so its trade off and again I don't know if you could shorten it without altering the design too much anyway, but as I said I really dig this build. I'd say it was in my top 3. The carve, the binding, and knob placement are all beautiful. Great project, look forward to seeing more.

Low End Fuzz- What has been said already is how I feel really. I really do like the project and the little inlay thing you did, but its just a bit too busy and clashes with itself a bit too much. I think its super neat and looks like something that would be fun to build. Also, I feel the work put in was top quality, some of the ways you put it together are tricky and you did a great job of this. Much appreciation on the worksmanship and congrats on an excellent build.

KPcrash-Nice build, its one of those as said that probably looks so much better in person. Its not easy to get photos sometimes and certain types don't come across all that well. I believe one of the ones Wez won with was a darker finish somewhat similar to this and I felt on that one that it would look better in real life as well. I like the shape and size of that bass as well, it looks like a great player, a guitar you could really jam on. I bet if you continued with the tru-oil and did a glossier finish it would look amazing, though I feel that the end of the fretboard really needs a thicker piece of binding because it just looks off right there. Maybe its the pics, but it looks like that piece is much thinner than the rest of the binding. Either way congrats, very nice build.

RDiquartto- Well this is the build that snagged my vote and in seeing the numbers up already of the 30 voters so far I was truly surpised that I was only the second person to vote for this instrument. It really is a beautiful piece. The burst on the top is just beautiful, so it the wood, I really like the interesting figure on this one, a bit different from the norm. I really like how the carve and burst match up so well and I just loved the color scheme all around. Very well done. I would have liked to see more of a shiny ebony board, just to really bring it altogether, but honestly, it works great as is. I always have liked that inlay set as well. Good choice on bridge, gotta get those locking studs!, and like the pups. The only thing that I wasn't a fan of was the lower knob placement. I kinda felt it should have remained on a flat plane like the first knob. The switch is fine being on the angle like that, but the bottom knob would have looked better moved up an inch or two onto the flat plane, again though this is just a personal preference. Regardless, this one got my vote, just an exceptional build that not only portrays quality worksmanship, but it looks beautiful as well. great build.

Hydrogeoman- Very nice tele! I don't even like tele's a bit, but every so often someone builds one that changes my mind a bit and this is one of those. It looks great, a guitar that I'd be extremely proud to display and a guitar that I'd love to play. I really like the use of walnut with the white/pearloid binding and pickguard, it really works well. Not to mention the who scheme works well like the curly maple neck with the walnut body. It just looks great and its an instrument that I'd love to have in my personal arsenal to see what differences in sounds I could find, I haven't played any walnut instruments and greatly look forward to having one of my own. This guitar really pushes me toward some walnut, a couple local places have some decent stock of the stuff as well. Nice guitar!

Kenny- Very nice looking guitar here. It just looks so comfortable and easy on the eyes. A very natural looking guitar, carve and all. I like the bridge design as always. The design and headstock look good as well. Really like the natural top and finish. I also liked what you did with the fret ends, the only thing is I'd prefer to see the outer strings in more from the edge of the fretboard, they are a tad close for my taste, a recut on the nut would probably do it, though if it was still close at the end of the fretboard I'd look at the overall taper of the board, I'm sure it's a bit trickier with making your own bridge because you have to base everything on how they bridge comes out, I think its well worth it for those bridges, they are super neat looking. Is it tough to get thickness down, do you require much of a neck angle with those handmade bridges, I don't require what Erik did in that respect either. If it was too think it'd need to go through and into the top, too thick and you have to use a significant neck angle. Just curious on what route you go. Good stuff either way.

I keep looking at the pole pieces on the bridge pup and can't think of any way to get a better match without changing to normal bridges. I don't think SD has any wider pole piece spacing pup do they. In doing your own bridge like what you do, its tough because general products don't always match I'd bet. No big deal really, I'm sure it has little if any effect, just something I've noticed on instruments where individual saddles are used, like basses and what not. Anyhow, truly a beautiful instrument. I look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve for the next one, no doubt it'll be nice.

Boggs-Hehe, I like your post in the GOTM. Your guitars are the type that I know I'd love once I got my hands on them. The style isn't one I'd consider in my taste, but really when it comes down to it, I'm not the type of person who would base buying or not buying on looks. Just like that guy you spoke about I'm sure once I got my hands on one I'd fall in love with it. I prefer a small bodies comfortable guitar that I can really work around. In normal sized guitars I'm fine so long as they are carved smoothly, but I'm sure that guitar would suit me well. Plus its chambered which always makes things more interesting. I did a belly carve on my project that was chambered, but it was close and risky thing to do. I think in the future I may stick to this path, but just do slightly less depth of the chamber and further in from the edge so I can carve, I think it'd be something worth trying in your design as well, might come out pretty cool. Anyhow, as always nice worksmanship, interesting guitar that I'm sure plays like a dream. Best of luck in getting your work out there, I think what your doing is the right way to go, getting people to play them is what works best, so good job and congrats.

Jer7440-Nice rig! Hehe in messing around with guitar hero world tour tonight, I played around with the design of my instrument and it came out real close to what you have there, of course with out the neat inlays and that good stuff, but the color scheme and everything. Its very cool looking burst and the maple board with rosewood binding, inlays, headcap, and knob, somehow really blends in well. In other words it all fits together very well. I also like the design you used on your bridge ferrules, not sure if I've seen that specific design much if at all on any other personal instrument. Did you find that somewhere and like it or just decide upon it on your own or what? It works really well, especially for that design. I think it'd work great for any single cut and any roundish double cut. Very nice instrument, look forward to seeing your next.

Another great month. Man this place is getting out of control, it used to be easy to choose or there would be two or three that were real contenders, now it seems every month that nearly every single instrument up there is a worthy of the win. The craftsmanship is through the roof around here, which is great, I really enjoy seeing all these amazing instruments and I'm sure it helps push others here to step up their work. Really a great forum we have here I think, I'm very proud just to be a member. Well, nice instruments everyone, I'd love to own each and everyone. Congrats. Jason

Ottovola: Interesting modification of an RG. I like the lady in the flame idea but doing it on the pickup was bit much. Oddly, it might have looked better had you done it on the sides of the pickup. Then it would have made everything look like one piece. Nice paint job but not a custom build!

andyt: I absolutely love the finish and the clear looks...well, clear! I also liked that you used recycled parts from Ibanez. I don't know if I would play it but it is a cool build!

Lil Petrucci: It took you a year to build the guitar and the first post on this forum is in the GOTM. From what can see in the pictures it looks okay. I like the mirrored pickguard but without better pictures it's hard to make out the quality of the build.

swedishLuthier: Another strong build from you. I've never been sold on the earvanna nuts but the color of this build and the high polished chrome give this build a look all it's own. I also love the tremolo and those TV jones style pickups look killer! You might end up a multiple time GOTM winner with this one!

low end fuzz: wow! That's a whole lot of different tone textures on one guitar. When it comes to using multiple wood choices on a guitar check out some vintage BCR stuff. This is a bit crazy and I really don't understand the pickup mounting rings over the pickguard. The wooden tail piece...also a little off to me. The basic spalted body wood would have been enough to really make this a killer guitar but with all the other crazy woods on it you just pulled away from the look. Not to be offensive but this looked like an exercise in how to get rid of scrap wood.

kpcrash: I love black limba and right now I'm finishing up a 7 string Les Paul Jr style build with black limba. Your paul really looks aged but the neck looks really clean. With the age of that body I'd expect some wear on that fretboard and some yellowing of that inlay. It might just be the pictures but the neck almost seems like a replacement neck. However, it looks like a strong build!

rdiquattro: This build looks like it would be an awesome fat body jazz box but the pictures are very blurry and had to make out the fine details. It's a shame really because this looks like it would have gotten my vote if I could have seen better pictures of it.

hydrogeoman: If this was a double humbucker I would have sent you a PM trying to buy it! Awesome looking and well executed tele. I love the wood choices and that you kept it simple. You should be proud of this build.

Kenny: I love the wood choices and the lack of inlay on the neck. A personal choice for me on all my own builds. This looks like it would be a solid player and it was a bold choice to go with natural maple with no stain! The edges are a bit soft for my personal tastes but non the less, a top contender for sure!

Boggs: That's a cool story, sucks he couldn't buy it since he liked it so much. The shape is subjective but you know that already. It's sort of the anti-pointy guitar which I'm sure gains the same respect as the pointy guitars do. Looks like another solid build for you.

jer7740: Nice execution on this build. I love the inlays and the maple board. They make the build interesting. I'm not a fan of the wooden rings. They stand out against the finish too much. Also, the knobs and switches don't fill out the indents which makes them look too small. It also seems like there is still a good bit of orange peel to tend to.

I'm dropping my vote on hydro's telecaster!

Well, let me go on record as saying that I voted for low end fuzz. The story behind that guitar is so great, and what's amazing about it is that he thought the same thing everyone is saying when the customer requested he do it. It accomplishes the goal of looking like something pulled out of the trash can, and still looks really nice. It just makes me smile.

Anyway, props to everyone.

-Dave

As always some great guitars in there. Just a few comments:

Ottovola

Looks like a really well executed material finish. The pickup covers are really not adding to the complete picture thou. The pickups “bare” would look better IMO

Andyt

Finally something new in the world of swirled guitars. I have never seen anything like that. And the result is great. The black chrome hardware is also the perfect choice

Lil petrucci

Better pictures is a must. Can’t really say much more than that.

Low end fuzz

The combination of too many pieces of different woods makes me almost nervous just looking at it. But that’s just me. Looks lie a nice executed guitar thou

Kpcrash

The bass would have benefitted from either a better, smoother finish or a rawer, even more “woody” look withour the burst. This way it just looks like it isn’t really finished yet.

Rdiquattro

Great looking guitar. Love the QL maple. What’s putting me slightly off is the placement of the knobs. They look slightly out of place. And now we need to see an original design.

Hydrogeoman

I love Teles. The walnut body and the white binding is a great combo. But please call me a traditionalist. I would have preferred a “real” Tele head

Kenny

That wood is phenomenal. The 3D quality is really enhanced by the rounded edges. Great job. Only two small things would have made me like it better: other tuner key buttons and rosewood knob + pickup rings. Then it would have been 100%

Boggs

Keep it up. Personally its not my cup of tea, but you should continue to use and push your original ideas.

Jer7440

The sunburst looks a bit uneven and I would have tried to use the wood a bit different to steer away from that knot or whatever it is in front of the bridge pickup. As I commented on Rdiquattro: Lest see an original design now.

I'm curious... How many folks here just can't get a grip on Lindsey Buckingham's Turner Renaissance Model One guitars? For the record, I did not have that guitar in mind at all when I designed mine. The resemblance was pointed out to me well after I had built a few.

it came down to Kenny and andyt for me.

Andyt, i love the coloring on your guitar. I'm also a big ibanez fan, and i'm sure that thing plays like a dream and has a sweet sound to it. I followed that build from beginning to end and I'm super jealous of that finish.

Kenny, that quilt pattern is BEAUTIFUL, and i love the light coloring.

Both guitars have a pattern to them that completely matches their body shapes. So it was a tough decision as to which one to vote for. In the end i voted for Kenny's, because it was the one that said to me, "This guitar is niiiiiiice."

Not that Andyt's isn't nice. Its amazing! But there's something about ibanez that tells me "Take me apart and put me back together differently!" I don't know what i'd do to that guitar since its already so freakin awesome, but that was the fraction of a stat that lead me to vote for Kenny.

Everyone else, Beautiful designs! I love the creativity that i see from everyone on this board. I just hope one day when i finish my bass, that i can wow all of you the way you all wow me!

This was the first month in a long time where I didn't really like any guitar. They were all great of course, as always, but none really tickled my fancy like they usually do.

I agree, Daniel. There are about five guitars that I like for some reason or another, but none really tickled my personal fancy. I think they're still great though.

SwedishLuthier - This is a pretty sweet guitar, something I'd like to play. Has a semi-hollow look to it. And it has the Gretsch-style pickups and Bigsby. All plus factors for me. Great job!

low end fuzz - I think this guitar looks great, and I don't know why! Something bugging me on the body. It might be the maple/padauk wings. I might have liked it better if the wings were all maple (or padauk maybe?). There is some aesthetic conflict going on, but I can't put my finger on it. I actually think the pick-guard looks pretty cool, though.

Hydrogeoman - Awesome job, Greg! Once again you produce a great guitar and a stunning maple neck. I think the headstock looks great. The only thing I'm not feeling is the body, in particular the choice of body wood. I get a furniture vibe from it, for some reason...??? In any case, great job and great guitar.

Kenny - That maple top looks sick! I think the clean look and satin finish work really well. Rock on!

AndyT - That finish is absolutely incredible! Love it!

In the end, though it was a very tough call, I went with SwedishLuthier.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

How many folks here just can't get a grip on Lindsey Buckingham's Turner Renaissance Model One guitars?

Well, not too many I would think. As a matter of fact I have never seen the Model One in the hands of any other guitarists than before mentioned Buckingham. But do not let your self be put down by comments here. Listen to the guys that play and praise your guitars and go for it. I bet most people thought that that Paul Reed guy made strange looking guitars in the beginning...

How many folks here just can't get a grip on Lindsey Buckingham's Turner Renaissance Model One guitars?

Well, not too many I would think. As a matter of fact I have never seen the Model One in the hands of any other guitarists than before mentioned Buckingham. But do not let your self be put down by comments here. Listen to the guys that play and praise your guitars and go for it. I bet most people thought that that Paul Reed guy made strange looking guitars in the beginning...

Well, you are right about not selling many to mainstream guitarists. I can't build enough to sell to the mainstream anyway... :D What is interesting is how fairly subtle differences can leave such a feeling of a big difference to the eye. I do know from talking to Rick that he does build and sell a good number of them. They have been in his lineup for a long time. I didn't mean to "copy" his design or anything like that and he knows that too... The other interesting part of the comment is in regards to the psychology of taste... It's kind of infused in us that, well, it's not my style so I doubt it is much of anyone else's either. That's not meant as a cut... Not by any stretch. You don't see that as much in bass players as you do in guitar players. It's a very interesting dynamic to me. Guitarists are a pretty fixed lot overall...

I do thank you for the encouragement and I do sincerely appreciate the honesty here. I do recognize that I often tunnel when a bridge will do... :D Cheers!

I will have an entry for next month that will have more traditional elements, but be true to my design philosophy. That should prove interesting. Still not lot of "bling" by "competition standards," but that is not what I am about.

Boggs

Edited by Boggs

Well, you are right about not selling many to mainstream guitarists. I can't build enough to sell to the mainstream anyway... :D What is interesting is how fairly subtle differences can leave such a feeling of a big difference to the eye. I do know from talking to Rick that he does build and sell a good number of them. They have been in his lineup for a long time. I didn't mean to "copy" his design or anything like that and he knows that too... The other interesting part of the comment is in regards to the psychology of taste... It's kind of infused in us that, well, it's not my style so I doubt it is much of anyone else's either. That's not meant as a cut... Not by any stretch. You don't see that as much in bass players as you do in guitar players. It's a very interesting dynamic to me. Guitarists are a pretty fixed lot overall...

I do thank you for the encouragement and I do sincerely appreciate the honesty here. I do recognize that I often tunnel when a bridge will do... :D Cheers!

I will have an entry for next month that will have more traditional elements, but be true to my design philosophy. That should prove interesting. Still not lot of "bling" by "competition standards," but that is not what I am about.

Boggs

Bogg's i was wanting to see your guitar, but on my computer i only got half of one picture :-\ could you post another link?

Kaye Sol for me...

I loved the unpretentious of it (despite the stunning 3D timber) and all the curves. The construction it top notch and the curves sexy...good to see it is coming back in the poll :D

Otherwise...great to see some finishing and general projects...all of a high quality...and to see them doing so well. This is "Project Guitar" and it is great to see some 'projects' being shown as well.

Again another great month...but after the last couple of comment backfires from me...I am a little reluctant to say anything that might hijack the thread.

With this in mind...I am happy to share my opinions and suggestions. Boggs, it might be an opportunity to start a thread to get some more input into your designs. I don't think you can compare your design with the Turner...I doubt Turner would put a fender headstock on something like this...and it doesn't have the "innovations" of the rotating pickup and other elements.

I agree with the comment about bass players...I'd definitely vote for a guitar that successfully went in that direction too...but these don't head in that direction either. As I say, be happy to discuss it at length :D if wanted.

As for the PRS thing...this was a design that successfully combined the strat and les paul and is highly successful at it (look at the number of copies...there's a couple here) and it got immediate acceptance for that and continues to do so. The intention was clear and the design with some evolution clearly met a clear goal for mass appeal. Some designs are not so obvious, but if you are intending to make a guitar 'model' to appeal to others, the intention needs to be clear and well executed. Klein and Parker did similar things with the ergonomic and innovation thing...more conventional looking guitars could have been made to fit the brief, but the design is also a statement and the statement clear. OK, enough already...

Symapthetic vote for KPcrashes bass...I currently have a thing for plywood...and KP knows I'm serious there!

pete

I'll admit I don't really like the guitar when its on a stand boggs but when its being played it looks alot better and quite cool.

Although I definately subscribe to the change the headstock crowd that would make a huge difference. 3+3 would look much better in my humble opinion :D

or even something violin like :D like an old burns scroll thing B)

Edited by joshvegas

Excellent design discussion in a design focused thread. I prefer 3+3 as well. On this, it was a "traditional element..." :D Don't forget to share comments on other guitars too... and don't forget to VOTE! :D

Symapthetic vote for KPcrashes bass...I currently have a thing for plywood...and KP knows I'm serious there!

Thanks Pete! Again, this was an experimental design/finish that I've gotten either really good, or "not so good" feedback. I truly appreciate everyone's feedback on this. Know that that thing plays like a dream. My wife says it'll be perfect for my bluesier shows.